Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,624,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yup. I must have a subway because SUBWAYS are fast, and buses are slow, even express buses. (And contrary to your statement, buses are pretty damn unreliable too. The Q44 for example, something I jump on after I get off the subway when I feel too lazy to walk... There will be one 2 minutes away, followed by 4 minutes, followed by 50 minutes. I have gotten off the train and seen the wait times more than 20 minutes followed by 25. That's pretty unreliable to me. If the wait is more than 4-5 minutes, I walk. (And often I walk anyway since I live .3 miles from the subway.)

As far as daily commute. I refuse to pay extra for the luxury of increasing my commute time to 150%. My time is worth a lot to me and 10 hours a week is more than enough, it doesn't need to be 15.

Any area without a subway is awful to me, like prison.

Oh and the MNRR is promised for 2023. I hope it's on time, but I am not counting on it.
Sounds like when I take the Q47 to Terminal A at LGA. Next bus is whichever one that gets to the next stop I walk to. Most of the time, I'm maybe 5 or 4 stops from just walking to the Terminal from Jackson Heights station. Should have extended that Astoria line all those years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 03:07 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,765,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yes it is a matter of personal preference, but you're going out of your way to act like other parts of the US are void of good food.
You can find one restaurant in every location that is decent. The rest can often be meh.

Quote:
I'm a foodie myself so I know that's just not true. Unless you're talking about fine dining, which most New Yorkers can't afford to or lack the interest to do regularly.
No, I'm not talking about fine dining. I hate the stuffiness of that. But I can guarantee you, that 50 of us on this NYC data forum can go to a restaurant or 5, and many will love the food which I will say is meh. That's what happens when you had been married to a five-star chef for over a decade. I have very high standards.

When I was in Raleigh, a place known for great food, I didn't eat in one place that blew me away. When I was in Charleston, I did. But that is because my dad has the same standards that I do and he did his research.

Most places don't have enough choice for that to be an option. You might have two Italian, one Mexican, three Chinese (two of which are all you can eat buffets) and some American brand. Maybe one of those is a good restaurant while the rest are edible and not awful.

Ever go to the Poconos? I went not long ago. I was astounded that there isn't ANYthing good to eat there.

I work in FiDi so I'm familiar with all the lunch spots. All of the food is meh (and expensive considering it is meh.) I ate at a few in Battery Park City, even the dinner places. Meh. There isn't a single Chinese place worth going to, including the most popular, China Chalet. (Super meh). The best food in the area equivocates to what my ex-h called "Hotel Food."

Old 01-08-2020, 07:46 AM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times
Quote:
You can find one restaurant in every location that is decent. The rest can often be meh.

No, I'm not talking about fine dining. I hate the stuffiness of that. But I can guarantee you, that 50 of us on this NYC data forum can go to a restaurant or 5, and many will love the food which I will say is meh. That's what happens when you had been married to a five-star chef for over a decade. I have very high standards.

When I was in Raleigh, a place known for great food, I didn't eat in one place that blew me away. When I was in Charleston, I did. But that is because my dad has the same standards that I do and he did his research.

Most places don't have enough choice for that to be an option. You might have two Italian, one Mexican, three Chinese (two of which are all you can eat buffets) and some American brand. Maybe one of those is a good restaurant while the rest are edible and not awful.

Ever go to the Poconos? I went not long ago. I was astounded that there isn't ANYthing good to eat there.

I work in FiDi so I'm familiar with all the lunch spots. All of the food is meh (and expensive considering it is meh.) I ate at a few in Battery Park City, even the dinner places. Meh. There isn't a single Chinese place worth going to, including the most popular, China Chalet. (Super meh). The best food in the area equivocates to what my ex-h called "Hotel Food."
Can vouch for China Chalet being mediocre a d I got that as a recommendation from a friend who lives there. I've tried other Chinese food places in the area that seem to be trying for regional specialties Ningbo Cafe, Northern Tiger, and Jiangnan Chinese, but all of them are mediocre. There does exist a few good Chinese places in Manhattan that are not in Chinatown, but places in FiDi and Battery Park City have been flops so far.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:21 AM

1,239 posts, read 512,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Actually I have been in rural environments. Not my cup of tea. PITCH BLACK at night. You can't even see your hand. I have relatives that live in rural areas. I don't think I could tolerate being in the middle of nowhere for an extended period of time. Is it nice to have lots of acres for the pets to run? Sure... That's just a little bit too much for me though.

Even when I have lived overseas, I have always opted for areas away from the City center, and it wasn't because of cost either. I lived in a very upscale area in Italy that was outside of the City center, but I could walk to the shops in the neighborhood and still go for walks up in the hills and relax. A nice mix of "urban" and "suburban". Being in a rural environment, you basically need a car for EVERYTHING, even to just get the mail.
Sounds like someone who can't afford Manhattan. That's ok, not everybody can.
If there's a metric to judge the best neighborhoods, it would obviously be the price that people are willing to pay to live there.
That's why Manhattan neighborhoods are almost always best, and those with a quick commute to, and a view of Manhattan come next.
If I wasn’t in Manhattan, I would not want to be anywhere close to NY. The weather, the congestion, the cost. It’s really only worth it unless you have Manhattan at your doorstep.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Sounds like someone who can't afford Manhattan. That's ok, not everybody can.
If there's a metric to judge the best neighborhoods, it would obviously be the price that people are willing to pay to live there.
That's why Manhattan neighborhoods are almost always best, and those with a quick commute to, and a view of Manhattan come next.
If I wasn’t in Manhattan, I would not want to be anywhere close to NY. The weather, the congestion, the cost. It’s really only worth it unless you have Manhattan at your doorstep.
Price is a good proxy for aggregating the interest in living somewhere over a large group of people, but that means nothing in terms of individual preferences since there are so many places out there. Having the busy parts and venues of Manhattan nearby sounds good to me, and I can afford to live there, but I prefer going there when I feel like it.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:48 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Price is a good proxy for aggregating the interest in living somewhere over a large group of people, but that means nothing in terms of individual preferences since there are so many places out there. Having the busy parts and venues of Manhattan nearby sounds good to me, and I can afford to live there, but I prefer going there when I feel like it.
Yeah, and the parts of Manhattan I like most aren't even the most expensive ones.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Quote:

Well it sounds like that's an everywhere (including New York) problem for you! If you don't like the majority of selections in wealthy Manhattan neighborhoods, then the whole world would not be to your liking.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Well it sounds like that's an everywhere (including New York) problem for you! If you don't like the majority of selections in wealthy Manhattan neighborhoods, then the whole world would not be to your liking.
For me, some wealthy neighborhoods in NYC really don't seem to have many good dining options while some working and middle class ones do. Battery Park City is definitely one of those that's not great overall nor are Upper East Side and Brooklyn Heights. Are they awful? No, just mediocre for the most part and hotel food seems like a pretty good description. I might pick that up.

Tokyo though has great dining options in a lot of its pricey neighborhoods and it comes with a pretty wide selection. Part of it probably comes from the average quality of produce, even when you're buying eggs from a convenience store, being pretty high compared to the US.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I like to have the options. In NYC there are more than 1500 restaurants, in small towns, there are 15. If only a few are good, that's a very small choice. That doesn't make me hate "the whole world". It means I appreciate being in a place where the choice is nearly endless.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For me, some wealthy neighborhoods in NYC really don't seem to have many good dining options while some working and middle class ones do. Battery Park City is definitely one of those that's not great overall nor are Upper East Side and Brooklyn Heights. Are they awful? No, just mediocre for the most part and hotel food seems like a pretty good description. I might pick that up.

Tokyo though has great dining options in a lot of its pricey neighborhoods and it comes with a pretty wide selection. Part of it probably comes from the average quality of produce, even when you're buying eggs from a convenience store, being pretty high compared to the US.
Spot on. Reps if I could give them. Most places, even with perhaps 20-30 places to eat have options of the Hotel Food variety. Very few places, except for large cities have top shelf food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City