Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:57 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
I was friends with the manager and she said that corporate was cleaning house because of the minimum wage increase. She told me the bean counters in HR figured out how to come out ahead of the wage increase so they would gain instead of lose money. The store I worked at had over 70 retail stores in NY State. They saved millions of dollars alone by discontinuing our paid 2 week vacations that we were receiving for years. Like I said in my earlier post, I am so glad I did not depend on that job to live. I was lucky that it was just a stint to get out of the house a few days a week.
That means corp was doing its job, which is to maximize earnings and offset threats to earnings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
horrible analogy, one of the worst I've read in teh interwebz.
again, it's SIMPLE economics - supply and demand. there are lots of nannies and babysitters out there. it's not a specialized job. you don't even need a high school degree. if you find a sitter that is a super duper child whisperer and there is a long wait list to get him/her, definitely he/she will command a higher rate.

there's tons of articles about how higher min wages reduces hours and introduces automation which will ELIMINATE the poor person's line of work. go look it up yourself. someone even provided an anecdote in this very thread.
There are tons of articles where businesses did better as well. Also there are tons of articles about how putting money in people's pockets make them spend more.

And it isn't a terrible analogy. It's terrible that you think so. It says a lot about values.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:04 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,710 times
My favorite coffee shop on SI had to raise their prices about 13%. But they can't do that every year in a middle-class borough, even in a well-off borough like SI. Consumers will get fed up after a while. The $15/hour min wage will shutter many restaurants and cafes in the less well-off neighborhoods of the city. Will the coffee shop in East New York be able to raise their prices that much and stay in business?

Old 01-06-2020, 06:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
There are tons of articles where businesses did better as well. Also there are tons of articles about how putting money in people's pockets make them spend more.

And it isn't a terrible analogy. It's terrible that you think so. It says a lot about values.
yeah, it shows you don't understand economics 101.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:45 PM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
> Stores closing due to min wage increases thread

more like stores closin due to greedy landlords raising the rent, both on the businesses themselves and the employees who work there.

Funny how many stores close because the people who own the space the store is in hike the rent, but then the store owners go on to go ****ING ENTITLED POOR PEOPLE for wanting enough wages to pay their own rent.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
yeah, it shows you don't understand economics 101.
No it doesn't. All that has been said here is that the two of us, can support our point of view with data.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
My favorite coffee shop on SI had to raise their prices about 13%. But they can't do that every year in a middle-class borough, even in a well-off borough like SI. Consumers will get fed up after a while. The $15/hour min wage will shutter many restaurants and cafes in the less well-off neighborhoods of the city. Will the coffee shop in East New York be able to raise their prices that much and stay in business?
They'll get replaced by some chain store like a Dunkin Donuts that has only one to two employees at any given time. FT positions are now a thing of the past and less than 20 hour per week PT jobs is what has replaced it.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:23 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Commercial rents have come over the top and are holding if not coming down. All those vacancies are having an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
> Stores closing due to min wage increases thread

more like stores closin due to greedy landlords raising the rent, both on the businesses themselves and the employees who work there.

Funny how many stores close because the people who own the space the store is in hike the rent, but then the store owners go on to go ****ING ENTITLED POOR PEOPLE for wanting enough wages to pay their own rent.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
https://www.westsiderag.com/2019/12/...-a-heavy-heart
Owner cites increased minimum wage as a factor.
While:

Quote:
The $15 minimum wage was supposed to hurt New York City restaurants — but both revenue and employment are up

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...onomy-politics

Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
No it doesn't. All that has been said here is that the two of us, can support our point of view with data.
So tired of people talking about how jobs that have historically been low paying jobs for teenagers are now supposed to have wages raised to support a family. In what world? This is not Switzerland, where even waiters make $60,000+ a year. I work in management and the people that work for me earn 3 - 4 times the amount per hour, and rightfully so. Why? Because they are providing a skill set. Some guy in Burger King is a dime a dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City