Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times

Advertisements

Who cares. I hate shopping in stores surrounded by sticky, screaming kids and their zombie parents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 07:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
or even take a cheap upstate vacation

To Yonkers.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I do a lot of my shopping in Yonkers. Hit the stack by Stew Leonard's and the nearby Shoprite on Tuckahoo Rd. Was in the Costco at the stack yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

To Yonkers.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
But that's just it. I didn't stay in just one job. I took what I learned in that one job and used it to gain entry into another more broadly-defined position, where I learned new skills and took on greater responsibility. I kept doing that until I reached a position that both suited me and offered potential for wage and career growth. This all happened because of one thing -- ambition. I didn't expect to make a living with those starter jobs, but with some sacrifice (roommates, no car), I was able to support myself at a level that was fine for that time in my life. Everyone nowadays seems to expect everyone and everything to adapt to their current position rather than take the step towards growth and change themselves. I didn't expect my early retail jobs to pay me a living wage so I could do that forever. I expected to use those jobs to learn and then take that education and move on. My father did that before me, and he instilled in me that same work ethic, and it worked for me as it did for him, except that the world had grown in my lifetime and so I had even more opportunities than he did. Young people today have even more opportunities than I did. What they don't seem to have is that ambition. Success seems to be frowned upon these days. It is viewed as something that someone is either born with or has been handed to them, rather than something that most people aspired to and busted their butts to achieve. My little retail jobs taught me how to interact with all kinds of people. My military experience taught me never to say "I can't". I tried things. I sometimes failed, but I kept trying. THIS is what we should be teaching our young people -- to be ambitious and to work towards personal and career growth. The world doesn't owe them a living. They owe it to themselves to earn it.
For every new job you took, how many people do you think got rejected for said position? It does not matter how many jobs you have had. Not everyone can have those jobs because there is only so many to be given.

If the pool of those said great paying jobs does expand and getting filled, well then the pool of money going around is enough to justify an increase in MW. Unless of course the goal is to concentrate more and more money at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
ril.
Many items are not very price elastic. Some products are marketed as a bargain. Some are very easy to out price compete. If businesses pass along costs to customers every time, dollar for dollar, penny for penny, why do they always have bargain sales, deals, or coupons, and advertise such?

Whether or not a business will operate at a loss after an MW increase depends on the increase, and the business. Many MW or close to it earners are employed in a sector that is heavily saturated with competition. There is just too many of those businesses out there. I have posted some links to articles previously. If your business cannot handle the said jump in MW, then is just too bad. They going to have to change their business model, or it frees up the spot as well. An open spot helps entrants trying to gain foothold into market.

By setting a wage floor, we encourage our society to be at a certain acceptable level of worth. Do we really need people who think they are only worth $5/hr or even less than that? Do you think it is acceptable for some people to walk around collecting cans and bottles for the equivalent of $1/hr, and wearing the same hole riddled, flea infested rags they brought over from China via shipping container with 30 other people and living homeless on the streets?

Well, ok some people choose this occupation. But what if someone started a side business collecting these these bottles and cans, but instead of doing the work, they hire those old crippled chinese ladies at 50c/hr? And yes, there is the carting industry that drives around in big trucks to collect these items in huge bulk. But tell me how much do those laborers make?

Most MW, or close to types of employment are either combined and simultaneous work, meaning they are lots of simple tasks performed at the same time or within small span of time from one another. And or, they are high weight, and high rep meaning one task, but is a difficult task or long duration, and get many repeats within time span. Examples include fast food. Each station has one task, but must repeat many times over in rapid succession for a long time. Or a construction helper. He has to lug debris, or building materials up and down stairs many times. Target usually has one person at each sections. The lady that works the mens' clothing dept has to stock all the different items, price tag them, make sure everything is in right spot give customer service, and it is a large floor with lots of items.

MW employment is actually quite taxing, and require a lot of effort. Yes, many people can do it, but we set the wage floor to avoid the old chinese lady scenario.

A business already only hires as much as it needs, and not any more. They get the most out of each employee. Businesses dont give more hours than they need to regardless of wage. They wont stay open for those hours if there is no customers at that time. Lowering MW wont make businesses hire more people. Even if you think less MW means more capital for owners, and they will invest, there still has to be increased demand for their product/services. Now unless this business only caters to the top earners, where will more demand come from if a huge segment of population does not have more disposable income? If you only peddle luxury goods, the wealthiest only have enough demand for so much supply. That niche can only support a handful of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

To Yonkers.
Better than nothing. Then Yonkers can get some badly needed business

Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 AM

108 posts, read 120,289 times
Quote:
https://www.westsiderag.com/2019/12/...-a-heavy-heart
Owner cites increased minimum wage as a factor.

. “You name it, we faced it. It became unbearable, especially the rent.”

Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
because wages have less to do with cost of living but rather what value and skills you bring to the employer..

I was once a naive little girl that believed in meritocracy. The reality is there is no correlation to value or skills and wages. Some of the most valuable professions that we need to have a good society pay dirt. Who are more treasured than your children? Day care workers make on average under $30K. And if you think it's easy work, you spend all day long with a toddler or under, and then do it every day. It's not easy; it takes patience, and in mind-numbing. Every day my kid was in daycare, I thanked her caregivers for their calling, cause I couldn't do it. Nurses are extremely valuable yet get paid less than half than doctors. One can argue in many ways they are more valuable because they are the people who are the first to know what is going on with their patient. Home health care workers are necessary and needed for our disabled and elderly. The list goes on and on. "Value" in our twisted and fubar society is only "what creates capital." I question the notion that capital = value. In fact, this ideology is almost sociopathic.

Quote:
a minimum wage artificially increases that cost to the business and now many are closing doors because of it.
it has been shown time and time again that min wage hurts more than helps those that need it most. either they get reduced hours or jobs get cut and replaced with automation.
something so simple that even a caveman can comprehend but leftists seem to struggle with
Yup, a lot of people who resent those who have less (were brainwashed by their overlords), think this. Except the data doesn't bare that out. The data PROVES the opposite when implemented.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
This list well defines the leftist mentality. Thanks!
Said in a forum where almost nobody every substantiates their "facts."

Old 12-31-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
News flash. It is not a businesses responsibility to support your lifestyle.
Your employment is a MUTUALLY agreed upon deal whereby you exchange your labor for money. Don’t like the pay, go find someone else that will pay what you want. Or start a business of your own and pay yourself whatever you want.
Our current business model is a model of exploitation. People agreeing to crap wages or face homelessness or starvation is a Sophie's choice, not free choice.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What the dems don't realize is that you have to incentive businesses in order to successfully pass a business regulation. What the dems have done in recent years actually made the city even more unaffordable to do business. Most small stores in NYC are vacant because too much regulations and costs are out of control.

Eventually all the stores will become starbucks or some big franchise that can handle running a negative cashflow business just to put a storefront advertisement.

I've been bringing food from home lately to work because all the food places are overpriced and subpar in quality.
What the Dems did eh?
Rudolph Giuliani - 1994 - 2001 REPUBLICAN
Michael Bloomberg - 2002 - 2013 REPUBLICAN (and rewrote the law to serve a third term)
Bill DeBlasio - 2013 - Present.

Seems to me the Republicans have been in office far longer, right at the beginning of this surge that made NYC unaffordable. NYC was already out of control with DeBlasio took office, and continued on the same trajectory as it had been going all along.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:34 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
The city became unaffordable (to some) because it became much more desirable (compared to the 70's-80's.) Sorry, everyone can't afford to live anywhere they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
What the Dems did eh?
Rudolph Giuliani - 1994 - 2001 REPUBLICAN
Michael Bloomberg - 2002 - 2013 REPUBLICAN (and rewrote the law to serve a third term)
Bill DeBlasio - 2013 - Present.

Seems to me the Republicans have been in office far longer, right at the beginning of this surge that made NYC unaffordable. NYC was already out of control with DeBlasio took office, and continued on the same trajectory as it had been going all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City