Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 09:47 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/bro...m-2010-to-2020

It’s no news that home prices in New York City are much higher than they were a decade ago. Both renters and homebuyers are having a hard time finding a home in the city, with many getting priced out of their desired neighborhoods. But where exactly have home prices risen the most over the past decade? We’re looking at 30 NYC neighborhoods that saw home prices jump from 2010 until 2020.

Scroll down and you'll see The 10 NYC Neighborhoods With the Lowest Jump in Home Prices 2010-2020...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 PM

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/16/rid...decade-report/

Ridgewood, the only Queens neighborhood to make the cut, came in at No. 24.

The average home in Ridgewood is selling for half a million dollars more in 2020 than it would have in 2010, according to a new report.

In 2010, the average home in the Queens neighborhood was selling for about $450,000. As we head into a new decade, that price is now up to $950,000, an 111 percent increase, according to a report from The PropertyClub.

The Ridgewood Tenants Union gathered in front of Food Bazaar Supermarket for a rally against a proposed new luxury apartment and homelessness in the city in October.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I saw that too, only 1 neighborhood in Queens.

Let's see what happens to the neighbors (Maspeth, Middle Village, Glendale)

Will they take the money or not

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-18-2020, 06:16 AM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Opinion:
Born and raised in Ridgewood.
It was, is and always will be a transient neighborhood.
There are few...mind you few that stick around and call it home for life.
The neighborhood continues to be more filthy. Give a few isolated pockets (blocks).
here and there where home owners literally still sweep in front of their homes. Bless them.
Parking on the street is horrendous and essentially non existent. Cars are not wanted here.
The neighborhoods offers convenience to Manhattan. I should know. I rode the MTA pretty
much my entire life and couldn't wait to get out once I save up enough money for my
own home because my line of work required constant movement that called for an automobile.
The quality of Life began to seriously diminish once ( Robbins ) opened up on Myrtle avenue.
This was the equivalent of today's Dollar stores. I could here the old Germans saying " There
goes the neighborhood. Time to leave. " I'll never forget how troubled they were by the opening of
this store. Today I understand that message. Cheap stores are indicative of income levels residing
in the neighborhood. Here lies the bigger problem. Landlords in Ridgewood trying to get away by passing
high rents to those of lower incomes. Doesn't work. As a last ditch effort to save the neighborhood from falling
into urban decay it was granted a Historical District. This put a kabash on gentrification and the welcoming in of
high risers but you can see how some have gotten around those variances and will continue to do so.
Just check out some new structures going up by the Myrtle avenue train station and nearby. Once you go above
3 stories in Ridgewood it's over. Gentrification is coming to a theater near you and this scares the crap out of young folks
trying just to get by. Well they better hurry up and say bye....bye......because the writing is on the wall. Time to shack up with
another friend and pay the crazy rent or move deeper into Queens for more reasonable prices. You'll just have to travel a bit longer
to work. Best wishes...............You heard it here first.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 AM

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/18/rid...he-way-it-was/

Ridgewood’s ‘building boom’ set the tone for a century of change: Our Neighborhood, The Way it Was

Just a few decades ago, if you walked down most streets in Ridgewood — particularly the area between Myrtle and Irving Avenues — you’d see block after block of textile mills and other industries. The hum of weaving machines was audible to anyone passing through the area on a busy work day.

Ridgewood was, at one point, home to hundreds of small textile mills that have disappeared from the scene — their plants and jobs shipped out to other states and countries as companies sought to cut costs.

For many years, these mills — along with other industrial factories that closed down for the same reason — remained vacant and fallow, like unused farmland. Some landlords chose to let the properties sit until new opportunities came along — namely, changes in zoning laws that would allow them to repurpose the factories for other uses.

Over the last decade, many of the former Ridgewood factories have been transformed into artist lofts and other apartments, accommodating the arrival of a new generation of residents. Many of these folks are young professionals who’ve come to the area in search of more affordable housing, close to the subway — both of which have always been abundant in the community.

These professionals brought with them a new vibrancy to Ridgewood; some of them opened up new cafes, workspaces and other businesses across town, bringing new life to the local economy.

Some longtime Ridgewood residents might bristle at all the change and their effects. Yet, if you look at the history of the neighborhood over the past 125 years, change and the arrival of new residents have been the constant trends.

The neighborhood has evolved many times over through the decades — but the most radical transformation occurred 120 years ago, at the dawn of the 20th century...

Old 01-19-2020, 10:54 PM

Opinion:
I grew up alongside those that owned junk yards, knitting mills, textiles factories, and machine shops.
Given the commercial air and speaking from experience, the neighborhood families worked hard at retaining
a simple,pleasing and clean quality of life. Ridgewood was once voted the cleanest neighborhood back in the mid 80's
but the folks of yesterday were all but replaced by down right slobs. Gone is the quality of life. Even sadder that few comprehend.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
Born and raised in Ridgewood.
It was, is and always will be a transient neighborhood.
There are few...mind you few that stick around and call it home for life.
The neighborhood continues to be more filthy. Give a few isolated pockets (blocks).
here and there where home owners literally still sweep in front of their homes. Bless them.
Parking on the street is horrendous and essentially non existent. Cars are not wanted here.
The neighborhoods offers convenience to Manhattan. I should know. I rode the MTA pretty
much my entire life and couldn't wait to get out once I save up enough money for my
own home because my line of work required constant movement that called for an automobile.
The quality of Life began to seriously diminish once ( Robbins ) opened up on Myrtle avenue.
This was the equivalent of today's Dollar stores. I could here the old Germans saying " There
goes the neighborhood. Time to leave. " I'll never forget how troubled they were by the opening of
this store. Today I understand that message. Cheap stores are indicative of income levels residing
in the neighborhood. Here lies the bigger problem. Landlords in Ridgewood trying to get away by passing
high rents to those of lower incomes. Doesn't work. As a last ditch effort to save the neighborhood from falling
into urban decay it was granted a Historical District. This put a kabash on gentrification and the welcoming in of
high risers but you can see how some have gotten around those variances and will continue to do so.
Just check out some new structures going up by the Myrtle avenue train station and nearby. Once you go above
3 stories in Ridgewood it's over. Gentrification is coming to a theater near you and this scares the crap out of young folks
trying just to get by. Well they better hurry up and say bye....bye......because the writing is on the wall. Time to shack up with
another friend and pay the crazy rent or move deeper into Queens for more reasonable prices. You'll just have to travel a bit longer
to work. Best wishes...............You heard it here first.
The street sweeping is most noticeable on Woodbine. It also seems to have wider sidewalks. The gentrification is well underway around Seneca and to a lesser extent Forest Ave. Fresh Pond Road feels it, but it isn't the heart of it. The gentrification happened because landlords are leasing out their apartments that are built for families and instead, leasing it out to young people; each with his/her own lease. Families can't compete with young working people sharing an apartment each paying $900-$1200 each. Your looking north of $2,800 a month. At that point, if you have that much cash for an apartment, then Ridgewood would be an unlikely choice due to some of the things it lacks. Myrtle Avenue, at least when I was there is barely Ridgewood. Most people considered it borderline hood and more in character of Bushwick. When I lived there people usually made a point to profess that they live in UPPER Ridgewood. Ridgewood still has some of those swastika waving guys. My ex-h told me all about it when he saw the whole collection of memorabilia in someone's basement while drinking beers one night. He was appalled but kept his mouth shut.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
The street sweeping is most noticeable on Woodbine. It also seems to have wider sidewalks. The gentrification is well underway around Seneca and to a lesser extent Forest Ave. Fresh Pond Road feels it, but it isn't the heart of it. The gentrification happened because landlords are leasing out their apartments that are built for families and instead, leasing it out to young people; each with his/her own lease. Families can't compete with young working people sharing an apartment each paying $900-$1200 each. Your looking north of $2,800 a month. At that point, if you have that much cash for an apartment, then Ridgewood would be an unlikely choice due to some of the things it lacks. Myrtle Avenue, at least when I was there is barely Ridgewood. Most people considered it borderline hood and more in character of Bushwick. When I lived there people usually made a point to profess that they live in UPPER Ridgewood. Ridgewood still has some of those swastika waving guys. My ex-h told me all about it when he saw the whole collection of memorabilia in someone's basement while drinking beers one night. He was appalled but kept his mouth shut.
Agreed:
and this is why it will always be a transient neighborhood for everybody that comes and goes ....except the landlords.When 23% of the neighborhood homes are owned and 77% rented that is enough to send anybody packing.High percentage ownership is key. Less home ownership is the red flag. Ridgewood is nothing more than a flip neighborhood. It has close to the same numbers as East New York. Too Unstable for me as a long term investment. Nothing but a crapshoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: