Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 08:32 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,221,736 times

Advertisements

I can't remember the last time I saw a street sweeper.

Revenue grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 08:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
With the bail reform, NY needs another source of revenue. Everything is gonna go up. I wouldn't be surprised if Cuomo and DeBlasio wants a sales tax increase to the same rate as CA.

Bail reform was a big revenue for NY as many criminals bail were forfeited instead of returned when they break the bail requirements.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:58 AM

15,857 posts, read 14,487,406 times
They need to change how street cleaning parking rules are enforced. The law would be against actually interfering with street sweeping, not just parking while alternate side is on. Instead of having the brownies writing up anyone parking (defined as no one being in/with the car) in a spot that's in it's alternate side period, they should put cameras on the street sweepers, record the plate of anyone blocking the sweeper (whether the driver is in the car or not), and send them a ticket. That's the only enforcement there'd be.

This would do a couple things. First, once the sweeper is past, people wouldn't have to stay in their cars. It's a little idiotic to force people to do this past the point where it serves any purpose. Second, it would penalize people who stay in their cars and still block the sweeper. I see this a lot. And it means a fair amount of gutter doesn't get swept. If these people started getting fined, they'd the the pluck out of the way. Third, if there wasn't a need to manual enforce ASP, they could cut down the number of brownies the city needs. I see it as a win all around.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:14 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post

Revenue grab.
Really? That's a bit odd. I see them regularly in Manhattan and around my way.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2020, 10:20 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They need to change how street cleaning parking rules are enforced. The law would be against actually interfering with street sweeping, not just parking while alternate side is on. Instead of having the brownies writing up anyone parking (defined as no one being in/with the car) in a spot that's in it's alternate side period, they should put cameras on the street sweepers, record the plate of anyone blocking the sweeper (whether the driver is in the car or not), and send them a ticket. That's the only enforcement there'd be.

This would do a couple things. First, once the sweeper is past, people wouldn't have to stay in their cars. It's a little idiotic to force people to do this past the point where it serves any purpose. Second, it would penalize people who stay in their cars and still block the sweeper. I see this a lot. And it means a fair amount of gutter doesn't get swept. If these people started getting fined, they'd the the pluck out of the way. Third, if there wasn't a need to manual enforce ASP, they could cut down the number of brownies the city needs. I see it as a win all around.
The issue here is sometimes the sweeper needs to make a second pass, or even a third pass so someone may move their car and as soon as the sweeper passes put their car back then the sweeper does a second pass and snaps a pic.

The real money grab will be forcing people to move their cars (double park) and then give them a ticket for double parking during ASP $115 + mandatory admin fee. Although the double parking during ASP is overlooked and virtually never enforced because officers know the cars have to go somewhere while the street is cleaned....giving double parking tickets during ASP will be a hilarious money grab and a punch in the face!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
FYI The city needs money.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...EvHjrk31WBQMu8

Drivers who don't move their cars on alternate side parking days are facing higher fines starting Thursday.

The fine for ignoring alternate side rules is now $65 across the city.

Before the change, the $65 fine was only in effect in Manhattan below 96th Street.

The fine had been $45 in other parts of the city.
Either get off-street parking for yourself, or move your car when you're supposed to

Or get rid of your car, there's really no other options.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2020, 11:05 AM

I have a low floor apartment facing the street. I see them every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post

Revenue grab.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 AM

I've never seen this (double pass.) Maybe just tell sanitation they can't do this.

And double parking has never been legal, and everyone knows it. At some points in history and in some areas, it was ignored. If this is still the case, give people warning that it won't be ignored, then start writing them up. Around here, I never see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
The issue here is sometimes the sweeper needs to make a second pass, or even a third pass so someone may move their car and as soon as the sweeper passes put their car back then the sweeper does a second pass and snaps a pic.

The real money grab will be forcing people to move their cars (double park) and then give them a ticket for double parking during ASP $115 + mandatory admin fee. Although the double parking during ASP is overlooked and virtually never enforced because officers know the cars have to go somewhere while the street is cleaned....giving double parking tickets during ASP will be a hilarious money grab and a punch in the face!

Old 02-21-2020, 11:24 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
they do come in my neighborhood all the time

Old 02-21-2020, 11:29 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,472,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've never seen this (double pass.) Maybe just tell sanitation they can't do this.

Do you realize how dirty some neighborhoods are? Street sweepers cannot get everything on the first pass in some of these areas. Sometimes take a couple of passes to get it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City