Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 07:54 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Great question, and if I take the question as stated, what is the LONG TERM implication, my answer is essentially nothing changes.
Well, the events you've mentioned are all laughable in scale compared to a worldwide pandemic. A more apt comparison might be the Spanish Flu or the Black Death. Recall, the Black Death permanently changed Europe, there was never a return to "business as usual." Not saying COVID and the Black Death are equivalent (one was obviously far more deadly), but just that pandemics are a whole other breed of disaster than other crises, and especially since they affect city dwellers most hard. So, I don't see this crisis and the sights of NY as the epicenter as just disappearing from people's minds all of a sudden. A good part of people who lived through this will never look at a crowded subway or bar the same way ever again.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Someone posted this in another thread regarding Coronavirus deaths

Quote:
New York State is 440 deaths per million. That is higher per capita then any other place in the world except the Republic of San Marino. Per capita the US is #15, and rising fast.
It's hard to believe. Even Italy is "only" at 330 deaths per million. Is NY that much unhealthier than everyone else?

Old 04-11-2020, 08:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Well, the events you've mentioned are all laughable in scale compared to a worldwide pandemic. A more apt comparison might be the Spanish Flu
Which I already compared, we got through it just fine (and actually exceptionally well with the roaring twenties)

COVID won't be much of a blip on NYC in history after all is said and done

Old 04-11-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Second wave... Second Wave...

The new Fear Mongering.

The experts have said over and over that the second wave, if there is one, will be more under control.

The "experts" have been wrong over and over since the beginning. First that they believed China saying the virus isn't transmissible, then that we're safe and should just go out in crowds, then that masks don't help, then those crazy scary 2.5 million dead predictions. And I have no doubt the "experts" forcing us to shoot ourselves in the collective foot will be wrong about the "second wave."

Old 04-11-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I love your attitude!

This "second wave of fear-mongering" will pick up right where the first wave leaves off.
If the curve continues flattening by June and it appears that things can slowly start reopening, the "second wave" crew will say NO, it's still out there, we must shutdown the rest of 2020.

I pray to God that fear mongers will not have their way. At some point in the next few months, we will just have to accept life on life's term, whether that's herd immunity or whatever, and go forward realizing that life is precious and NOBODY is guaranteed a long life in which you will never die. Yes, some people will die but life has always been inclusive of death.

Well said. By shutting normal life down, we're causing irreparable damage that will be far, far worse than anything the virus could ever bring. Imagine the scores of unemployed, the social unrest, the rise in crime as people become desperate. Imagine the numerous health issues people won't receive attention for, nor will be able to afford. A poor society is inherently an unhealthy society. Imagine the depression and drug addiction that will rise from a lengthy period of isolation and fear.

Ultimately, anyone with some oil in their head sees this shutdown can't go on much longer before things really go off the deep end.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:11 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Well, the events you've mentioned are all laughable in scale compared to a worldwide pandemic. A more apt comparison might be the Spanish Flu or the Black Death. Recall, the Black Death permanently changed Europe, there was never a return to "business as usual." Not saying COVID and the Black Death are equivalent (one was obviously far more deadly), but just that pandemics are a whole other breed of disaster than other crises, and especially since they affect city dwellers most hard. So, I don't see this crisis and the sights of NY as the epicenter as just disappearing from people's minds all of a sudden. A good part of people who lived through this will never look at a crowded subway or bar the same way ever again.
I agree

After this is over, still stay away 6 feet after me

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Quote:
Well said. By shutting normal life down, we're causing irreparable damage that will be far, far worse than anything the virus could ever bring. Imagine the scores of unemployed, the social unrest, the rise in crime as people become desperate. Imagine the numerous health issues people won't receive attention for, nor will be able to afford. A poor society is inherently an unhealthy society. Imagine the depression and drug addiction that will rise from a lengthy period of isolation and fear.

Ultimately, anyone with some oil in their head sees this shutdown can't go on much longer before things really go off the deep end.
I mean, it sucks for the people that die but, it seems completely irrational to shut down 30% of the total economy, increasing the likelihood of permanent societal damage by the week, to worry about a disease that kills about 1/2 OF 1% of total people.

I mean if you were in a motor pool to dispatch 10 vechicles for mission, would you deadline 3 of them because there is sheet metal damage on 1 panel of 1 vehicle...

...and before anyone says "but these are people's lives", well all humans die... and a lot more than 1% will once people start getting desperate in months...

Old 04-11-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I mean, it sucks for the people that die but, it seems completely irrational to shut down 30% of the total economy, increasing the likelihood of permanent societal damage by the week, to worry about a disease that kills about 1/2 OF 1% of total people.
and a lot more than 1% will once people start getting desperate in months...

There are still other ailments and conditions that can cause death in people, something this virus has seemed to make us forget. This man for instance might not get his organ transplant on time. Let's not pretend a virus with a <1% mortality rate is somehow the only threat to anyone right now.

And of course, there's so much data out there showing how much death and pain the last recession brought to people. Imagine what a depression can bring.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:32 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:

I'm not sure I want to imagine it. We are very ill-prepared to deal with both. The first due to lack of mental health coverage and the latter because the criminal justice system is far more likely to handle that.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I agree

After this is over, still stay away 6 feet after me
Except for. Wait for it, wait for it..

Permits filed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City