Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

In the immediate aftermath, you may be right. A lot will depend on what the government does to defibrillate the economy once the pandemic subsides. But if there's not a lot of money around rents will have to do down.

But NYC doesn't stay cheap for long. If people see bargains, both business and residents will pour in, bidding up rents. This happened after 9/11 downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
So true. The only constant in life is CHANGE. The minister of the church I attend during normal times said today via teleconference that actually said in spite of how horrible it is right now, there are still some things to be thankful for. That is true. This is a wake up call for all of us. As much as we humans dislike difficult times and adversary, those are the things that make us better, make us mature. A lot of nonsense that dominated the news will not interest us after we come through this. We'll be changed in a different yet better way. Common sense will trump political correctness.

I hate to say it but I must, all the over-priced cities (yes you NYC, SF, Seattle, LA) that allowed rent to balloon way beyond the average person's ability to afford, will get its comeuppance. They also put all of the small mom & pop businesses out of business by going up on their rent for the space by 1000%, that is not hyperbole, due to greed. I remember when NYC's garment district was totally dismantled and upended due to greed; SOLD out to Disney and NY Times, both who were moving to 42nd St. Ninety percent of the garment district jobs were sent to China.

After we get through the COVID-19 pandemic, landlords are NOT going to be able to resume charging those rates because the economy will be so bad that previous tenants will not be able to pay it and few people with money will choose to pay those outlandish rates. There will not be enough new tenants to fill those vacancies. Rental rates will be going all the way down to where they should have been ALL ALONG.

Now, that the govt sees that it was stupid to depend on another country to make all/most of your basic necessities while you produce nothing for yourself - simply a consumer, many manufacturing jobs will be coming BACK to the USA. I believe a lot will change for the better after COVID-19. History shows that people who triumph over adversity are always better for having done so.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:49 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
NYC rents cheap? Lol thanks for the laugh. Unless everyone In nycha dies or moves there will be no cheap rent.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm here. You're not. Nothing is getting ripped apart. If anything, it's frozen solid.

Spain has a totalitarian history. The US, not so much. The lock down here will end when enough people demand it. Right now, at least in NY, it has pretty good popular support (which I find somewhat surprising.) Let it go on anther few weeks, and they'll be a lot of popular pressure to drop it. We'll see if the various governors (who are driving the shutdown much more than the feds) do when this happens.
Quote:
Do you think Milan and Madrid are destroyed also?

In WWII London was bombed to bits. After the war, it immediately returned to being the commercial capital of Europe.

This is a blip. A big blip, but a blip none the less. The pandemic will burn through, and make a big mess and kill a bunch of people. But it will go away, and we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming.
The economies of Madrid and Milan are destroyed. With the frontiers closed and the governments seizing huge parts of the economy. No more tourism anytime soon.

Britain lost its colonial empire after WW2 and NYC replaced it as the global financial center. Permanent damage was done to British interests. Also, Britain itself was a different place after the war. They created the NHS, which is their public healthcare system.

So there are permanent change due to the war in London and Britain.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
If enough people complain, it will have an effect. We haven't gotten there yet, but for us, this is at most only two weeks old (and really only one.) Like I said, give it a few more weeks. Also let it get into middle America.
The same middle America which has also closed its public schools and shut down many of its businesses? Dream on....

People care more about their lives than their “rights.” Which is why in times of crisis the government can assume broad powers that never go away. In response to reach major disaster even in America government involvement in the economy permanently grows.

In fact people will be more excited about the money the government is giving them as a part of the stimulus. For both the US and Europe.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 AM

8 posts, read 5,637 times
jonbenson thank you for your response. So far I haven't felt a lot of love from City Data. Somebody accused me of being a snitch though I posted info about an anonymous roommate and asked for advice about what to do. After two days I got little advice. Then saw that my post had been closed. Not very helpful.. That's why I'm leaving NYC tomorrow. I'm not going to continue to let a roommate who won't follow rules endanger my health. I'm sure there are others with my situation. What is the solution for those who can't move to Long Island to their parents garage (super embarrassing to have to do this, but rather do that than risk being exposed to coronavirus by roommate who is apparently all over the city with no regard to my health and die). Good luck to the rest of you stuck in awful roommate situations. From my experience with Citydata they will blame you.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
I would do what you are doing, there's gov checks on the way anyway and they are not allowed to evict people.
It's good you are doing that 14 days for your parents. How are you going to get there?

If you take a train I recommend wearing a mask. If you don't have one a doubled bandanna with a string tied to the bottom and pulling it in toward the neck to keep the bottom more closed, if not tape the bottom to you face.
This will be better than nothing if there are people near you

Last edited by jonbenson; 03-30-2020 at 03:24 AM..

Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 AM

I was hoping to stay in NYC but realized I couldn't. My roommate turns out to be a massive jerk. I'm quite sure he will be shocked to find I have left tomorrow. He thought I had no choice but submit to his bs. I never told him I have parents in Long Island. My Mom is coming to pick me up and drive me home. He is going to be screwed!!! lol! I have no sympathy. I tried to work it out with him. He underestimated me. I guess he won't get evicted for 90 days but he will owe the rent. I guess by leaving tomorrow the 30th I actually got one less use of the place I paid for since I won't be there for the 31st! Bye sucker!!!! Don't assume everyone is desperate and has no family!!!

Old 03-30-2020, 03:36 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Manooky View Post
marinjsxx So then why did they close my thread? I am a young woman is totally terrified that my creep roommate is unnecessarily exposing me with his actions. I asked for advice. They closed my thread
As I wrote “The criteria is that the only place to discuss anything related to Coronavirus is this thread.”

People like yourself who may be unaware of the policy were continuing to create separate threads about things related to the Coronavirus so the threads were locked to enforce the policy.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 AM

martinjsxx totally understand. Can't understand why in my thread I got harassed for asking for advice. I was called an "apartment cuckold" and basically treated like a lowlife for asking what to do with a roommate who was endangering not just my life but the life of all New Yorkers...that's when I came to the conclusion people in NYC, as represented by City Data, are not serious about their safety...more concerned about labelling someone a snitch then about the health of all...so glad I'm leaving this cesspool!

Old 03-30-2020, 04:31 AM

p.s. I went out for a walk today near my apartment. A bunch of idiots clearly had no concept of what 6 feet is. They just blithely walk down the middle of the sidewalk so you would have to go into the middle of the street to create six feet of distance! Dude get to one side of the sidewalk and the other person can walk on the other side! Another reason I'm leaving this pit! People can't even figure out how to keep six feet away from each other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City