Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 02:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

What "derelict apartment buildings" are you referring to? Be specific, please. The only building mentioned was 157 E. 57 Street, which is a typical midcentury building. It looks well maintained and pretty nice.

And there are no apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte or Atlanta. Obviously they cannot have "derelict apartment buildings" when no such neighborhood typology exists. Charlotte is essentially a giant sprawly suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

654 posts, read 363,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What "derelict apartment buildings" are you referring to? Be specific, please. The only building mentioned was 157 E. 57 Street, which is a typical midcentury building. It looks well maintained and pretty nice.

And there are no apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte or Atlanta. Obviously they cannot have "derelict apartment buildings" when no such neighborhood typology exists. Charlotte is essentially a giant sprawly suburb.

There are plenty of apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte. Check out Fourth Ward or the South End. Fourth Ward is urban in part and is meticulously maintained--even the buildings from the 1800s there.

The building I mentioned as being OK is 157 E. 57th Street. Look on the Google Map site for the white brick building next to it.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Out in the country, the housing market is not as tight as it is in NYC. Landlords have to compete for tenants, tenants don't so much have to compete with each other for apartments. So a building in NYC that might look shabby from the outside, but still has decent apartments will rent, where the same building out in the country wouldn't. The landlord would have to put some money into it to make it look more appealing.

Thank you. Perfect answer.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Netflix has a nice documentary called Dirty Money: slumlord millionaire . This is the episode on Jared Kushner and his real estate empire.

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 03-24-2020 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
There are plenty of apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte. Check out Fourth Ward or the South End. Fourth Ward is urban in part and is meticulously maintained--even the buildings from the 1800s there.

The building I mentioned as being OK is 157 E. 57th Street. Look on the Google Map site for the white brick building next to it.
No, there are no apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte. The Fourth Ward and South End are basically sprawly suburbs by NYC standards. Even random suburbs in Jersey are far more urban.

The white building next to 157 E. 57 looks just fine. Nothing remotely derelict about it.

I think what you're trying to say is that you don't like older urban apartment buildings, which is fine, I guess. There are basically no older urban apartment buildings in Charlotte, so you're in the right place. Don't ever go to Europe, though, you will be in shock at all the old buildings.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
No, there are no apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte. The Fourth Ward and South End are basically sprawly suburbs by NYC standards. Even random suburbs in Jersey are far more urban.

The white building next to 157 E. 57 looks just fine. Nothing remotely derelict about it.

I think what you're trying to say is that you don't like older urban apartment buildings, which is fine, I guess. There are basically no older urban apartment buildings in Charlotte, so you're in the right place. Don't ever go to Europe, though, you will be in shock at all the old buildings.

If you're going to deny that a neighborhood made up of apartments is not an apartment neighborhood, then further discussion with you is not productive. Does the residential part of Back Bay in Boston count?

The building next to 157 East 57th Street is "just fine" and not "remotely derelict"? Really? Faded paint; stains from air conditioners; etc.? Objectively, hopefully you can agree that it is not in like-new condition?

No, I actually like older buildings. I've long lived in buildings built from 1880 to 1930 and I oversee one built 150 years ago. My favorite architectural styles are from around 1900.

What I simply don't understand is why high-income people who pay top dollar for housing in NYC let their buildings go to pot. One of the posts above explained why (landlords can get away with it); I still don't understand why people would let their condo or co-op boards get away with it, though.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Also, I've spent years living in large European cities. Vienna, Paris, etc. don't have derelict apartment buildings in prime areas. Central Vienna, where I lived (in a building built in the 1800s), is beautiful.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
If you're going to deny that a neighborhood made up of apartments is not an apartment neighborhood, then further discussion with you is not productive.
You have yet to mention such a neighborhood. Again, there are no apartment neighborhoods in Charlotte. You mentioned the Fourth Ward and South End. Neither are characterized by large apartment buildings.

This is Charlotte's South End. Not even as urban as a typical NJ or LI railroad suburb:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2108...7i16384!8i8192

This is Charlotte's Fourth Ward. Even less urban than the South End:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2346...7i16384!8i8192
Quote:
Does the residential part of Back Bay in Boston count?
Back Bay isn't really an apartment neighborhood, no. It's more townhomes. There are very few large apartment buildings in Back Bay.
Quote:
The building next to 157 East 57th Street is "just fine" and not "remotely derelict"? Really? Faded paint; stains from air conditioners; etc.? Objectively, hopefully you can agree that it is not in like-new condition?
So your standard for "derelict" is "faded paint and stains from air conditioners". LOL. So every building on earth is derelict, by your standard. If I hired an inspector, I could find faded paint and stains on every structure, anywhere.
Quote:
No, I actually like older buildings. I've long lived in buildings built from 1880 to 1930 and I oversee one built 150 years ago. My favorite architectural styles are from around 1900.
Yet you're talking highly about Charlotte, which has no such buildings, and criticizing NYC, which is like 80% such buildings. Very odd.
Quote:
What I simply don't understand is why high-income people who pay top dollar for housing in NYC let their buildings go to pot.
You don't understand it, because your premise is wrong. You don't get NYC, or urban living, or the preferences of the wealthy. I don't know of any high-income people who live in derelict buildings, anywhere. And you can't even tell if a building is nice or not from the exterior, so you make no sense. You could have a gorgeous Architectural Digest-level loft in some graffiti-laden factory building, and you could have a disgusting dump in some brand-new building immaculate from the outside.

And those 50's-60's buildings in NYC you seem to particularly hate are actually the cheapest buildings. Prewar and more recent buildings are far more expensive. Zillionaires are rarely living in those white/red brick midrises.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Also, I've spent years living in large European cities. Vienna, Paris, etc. don't have derelict apartment buildings in prime areas. Central Vienna, where I lived (in a building built in the 1800s), is beautiful.

In Vienna they went into a frenzy of resurfacing facades starting around 2000. I think it is a sort of thing that matters to millenials, worldwide. Before that, the 1800s buildings actually looked like the 1800s buildings. I grew up in a city that used to be a part of the empire of which Vienna was the center, so I grew up in the same thing. I miss unrenovated buildings in Vienna - as I said, their appearance was a mark of historic continuity.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are no derelict apartment buildings in the prime neighborhoods of Europe.

Witness Naples. Just immaculate. If only 57th Street could look like Naples...

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8489...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City