Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 04:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times

Advertisements

Short answer, yes.

I do find that the activist left overwhelmingly dictates political discourse and popular opinion in NYC.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Maybe it's due to this old school forum format as opposed to traditional media platforms

New York was also mainly liberal back then also. Look at somebody born in 1960, they would be 20 in 1980 , Koch, Dinkins years, gay rights, hip hop, some race riots.
1990-93 crime hit a high point and was fueled by the crack epidemic 80s - 90s.
Giuliani came in on anti crime platform and also anti-mafia but I wouldn't say that turned New York city into conservatives.
that was followed by Bloomberg who was a fairly liberal republican, defiantly not typical and of course switching back to Democrat for the 2020
If this was 1985 and the internet existed how would the city data forum look politically ?
Yeah it had traditionally been pretty liberal. Giuliani (not Bloomberg) probably staved off the full blown liberal turn for a bit, but I think NYC will have hard left leadership for the rest of our lives.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:02 PM

23 posts, read 13,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Short answer, yes.

I do find that the activist left overwhelmingly dictates political discourse and popular opinion in NYC.

And how do we stop it? Will the silent majority start voting and stop this madness?
If we are keep giving in, we will be like seattle or SF in no time. Rich guys are fleeing SF right now. They are defunding police. What a bunch of psychos.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:49 PM

98 posts, read 43,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yejoonlee View Post
This is part of the reason why I left NYC for my work. (Still live in NYC but work in upstate NY)

Too many SJW and too many sensitive people on every subject.

You can't make any jokes and gotta watch out what you say.

And this political correctness and all these nonsense to keep the minority happy is getting tiring.

(no offense but LGBTQQIAAP and etc...... like some nonsense crap like a guy can walk into girl's bathroom as long as he identifies as a woman and all these really weird nonsense crap)

Are these people majority of new yorkers? And keep voting liberal to make these nonsense get worse?

I feels like the whole city is getting worse... where criminals and these looters.. their rights get protected

and got forbid if the storeowner shoots the looter who breaks in, he will be charged and it isn't even easy to buy a long gun in NYC.

And talk about pro-tenant law. If you are stuck with a horrible tenant, that person can stay in your condo for almost a year without paying rent.

Don't know what's wrong with this city. Maybe it's time I move out. I rented here for 5 years. Ready to buy a condo but not sure what NYC will be like post-covid. Seems like NYC will get worse but lost its charm post-covid.
I agree. I was about to make a post related to what you said. Especially with social distancing now. It's making people even more antisocial and unfriendly. And the social distancing rules are expected to go on indefinitely ( the new normal) that cannot be good long term

Old 06-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yejoonlee View Post
And how do we stop it? Will the silent majority start voting and stop this madness?
If we are keep giving in, we will be like seattle or SF in no time. Rich guys are fleeing SF right now. They are defunding police. What a bunch of psychos.
It will not be stopped, the majority of NYC voters prefer this and I don't see that ever changing.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:10 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
It will not be stopped, the majority of NYC voters prefer this and I don't see that ever changing.
I hate the chaos, but I do hope this effects lasting and effective change. NYC and NYS political machines seem ridiculous to me.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I hate the chaos, but I do hope this effects lasting and effective change. NYC and NYS political machines seem ridiculous to me.
I hope so. Sick of this system where hard working honest people get punished and criminals get all the help they need.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:

That is depressing. I only hope it doesn't get worse but it is... hopefully not as bad as seattle.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:30 PM

126 posts, read 66,208 times
Liberals, who claim they're all about tolerance, are the least tolerant people I ever met.

And their tactics of "either speak out or you're the enemy" is eerily similar to Nazi Germany

Old 06-12-2020, 09:14 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
We know where all the SJW bullchit will lead, at least in NYC. Murders will go back up to the multiple four figures. Muggings, street drug dealing, and open prostitution will be a routine part of life. Thanks to the cranked up rent regulation, housing will be allowed to deteriorate, people and businesses will leave in droves. It will make the '70s look like paradise.

Hopefully, before it goes to far, enough people will be shocked enough to shut down this idiocy, and go back to what worked so well.

Last edited by BBMW; 06-12-2020 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City