Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 04:21 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2020/06/18/pols-c...rom-city-hall/

This founder’s no keeper as far as some powerful New York City Council members are concerned.

A group of Big Apple local elected officials on Thursday formally asked Mayor Bill de Blasio to remove the statue of Thomas Jefferson from City Hall as the fallout from the George Floyd killing continued to mount.

“His words are ‘all men are created equal’ but they were not matched by his action, which included the ability to sell, buy, mortgage and lease human beings,” Councilwoman Debi Rose (D-Staten Island) said of the Founding Father who authored the Declaration of Independence.

“He believed black people to be racially inferior, said black Americans and white Americans could not live peacefully side by side and he fathered as many as six children with a woman he enslaved,” added Rose, who along with Council Speaker Corey Johnson was one of five members to sign the demand.

“I believe the New York City Council should neither ignore nor glorify this dark side of American history.”

But some council members quickly fired back, charging that Johnson and his allies were trying to erase history instead of respect it.

“I was totally appalled when I heard that, and ashamed to be a council member in that moment. At this point, you can go after any historical figure it seems,” said Councilman Robert Holden (D-Queens) Yes, we have blemishes in our past, and I can understand wanting to remove confederate generals’ statues.

He added: “But where does it end?”

Councilman Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island), argued packing up the statue is the kind of move a totalitarian government would make.

“Someone should explain to me which civilization that banned or destroyed art has ever been considered liberal and progressive,” he said. “ISIS? The Communists? The Jacobins? Henry VIII? Who, tell me.”

Good grief! So George Floyd takes precedent over Thomas Jefferson? One of the most important individuals to this country? This is NOT about justice or "equality/inequality" . This whole debacle is being used to rewrite history, for these "progressives" to be revisionist. This is absolutely mad! Enough is enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 04:35 AM

169 posts, read 87,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/06/18/pols-c...rom-city-hall/

This founder’s no keeper as far as some powerful New York City Council members are concerned.

A group of Big Apple local elected officials on Thursday formally asked Mayor Bill de Blasio to remove the statue of Thomas Jefferson from City Hall as the fallout from the George Floyd killing continued to mount.

“His words are ‘all men are created equal’ but they were not matched by his action, which included the ability to sell, buy, mortgage and lease human beings,” Councilwoman Debi Rose (D-Staten Island) said of the Founding Father who authored the Declaration of Independence.

“He believed black people to be racially inferior, said black Americans and white Americans could not live peacefully side by side and he fathered as many as six children with a woman he enslaved,” added Rose, who along with Council Speaker Corey Johnson was one of five members to sign the demand.

“I believe the New York City Council should neither ignore nor glorify this dark side of American history.”

But some council members quickly fired back, charging that Johnson and his allies were trying to erase history instead of respect it.

“I was totally appalled when I heard that, and ashamed to be a council member in that moment. At this point, you can go after any historical figure it seems,” said Councilman Robert Holden (D-Queens) Yes, we have blemishes in our past, and I can understand wanting to remove confederate generals’ statues.

He added: “But where does it end?”

Councilman Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island), argued packing up the statue is the kind of move a totalitarian government would make.

“Someone should explain to me which civilization that banned or destroyed art has ever been considered liberal and progressive,” he said. “ISIS? The Communists? The Jacobins? Henry VIII? Who, tell me.”

Good grief! So George Floyd takes precedent over Thomas Jefferson? One of the most important individuals to this country? This is NOT about justice or "equality/inequality" . This whole debacle is being used to rewrite history, for these "progressives" to be revisionist. This is absolutely mad! Enough is enough!
The Communists are making their move, ramping it up. It’s all out in the open now so if you don’t see it you’re not paying attention. These people will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. George Floyd is their Trojan Horse. Time to fight back and push back hard. This will not end pretty for any of their supporters. Game on.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:41 AM

11,484 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Thomas Jefferson abolished the slave trade in 1807. This is the man who's statues are now being torn down around the country by Marxist anarchists and the ignorant fools who have been duped by them.

President Thomas Jefferson ended the selling of captive slaves in America for good after 1808.

Government schools don't teach that fact anymore. No wonder the young think only evil of Thomas Jefferson. That is all they learned in school and all they get from the media.

Antifa is winning. I don't see how to stop them at this point, except that a lot of people who aren't especially political are starting to wake up and see how radical organizations like Antifa and BLM are and are primed for a backlash against this radicalism.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:04 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Chances are all reruns of "The Jeffersons" will be nixed in the future since the majority of black Jeffersons would have been descendants of his slaves.

It won't end at Jefferson, how about Washington? He owned a bunch of slaves, too. There was a big controversy in Philly when the Washington house was rebuilt as a museum and* African American stakeholders insisted on exhibiting the household's slaves history.

https://www.ushistory.org/presidents...es/numbers.php

Old 06-19-2020, 06:27 AM

910 posts, read 753,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Chances are all reruns of "The Jeffersons" will be nixed in the future since the majority of black Jeffersons would have been descendants of his slaves.

It won't end at Jefferson, how about Washington? He owned a bunch of slaves, too. There was a big controversy in Philly when the Washington house was rebuilt as a museum and* African American stakeholders insisted on exhibiting the household's slaves history.

Exactly. Their goal is not Jefferson though. Their goal is to end America as we know it and then come for all innocent law abiding citizens. These are very, very dark times and America is reaching a boiling point that will lead to civil conflict.

The cancel culture is not about justice - it is about canceling anybody who stands in their way or who they perceive as an "enemy". Today, their "enemy" is the Conservative White male. But it will not stop there: tomorrow it will be the spineless types such as Corey Johnson in City Hall. Government run schools no longer teach history, so it is no surprise this is happening.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times
I see Debi Rose has a D after her name. How ironic don't you think?

Is she not aware of her own Party's history? Andrew Jackson and the Trail of Tears, Slavery, KKK, Woodrow Wilson segregating the Federal Gov't and the military, FDR and his internment camps, Jim Crowe Laws, Bull Connor,....

Why is this women a Democrat? Time to disband the Democrat party.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we are all losing our freedom to say or think what we do .... everyone has to fear being labeled a racist if it goes against someone else's impressions ....

this is all bull ........

Old 06-19-2020, 06:36 AM

169 posts, read 87,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post

Well last night in lovely Portland, OR, they pulled down a large statue of George Washington and then burned the American Flag.

Democrats own this! This is what they support, what they are about and what they have become. Evil Commies.

#Walkaway

Old 06-19-2020, 06:44 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i think we should change the name of cracker jacks - i feel offended .....

Old 06-19-2020, 07:01 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
I for one support the move. Good riddance. Just looking at this from the outside though, do you think his statue would stay there forever? Nothing stays the same forever and to think this is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City