Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 02:24 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times

Advertisements

And you can thank your local politicians- not COVID - for its oncoming demise - if it does happen.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/24/stonew...-gofundme/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 05:03 PM

I agree with you but they’ve had that GoFund me page since the beginning of the quarantine. I know the owners in person and they really are struggling.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I'd send them $20 if they would Fed-Ex me a Beefeater Gibson.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:24 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Before I'd give money to support the Stonewall Inn in this way, I'd like a detailed accounting of exactly why the Inn needs $225k.

Does the establishment/owners not own the building/land that the inn sits on? Perhaps not, but a question that I have. If they don't own the land/building, it would make sense that their rent is very high, which would explain the need for these funds.

Otherwise, sure, their doors have been closed, but they also have essentially zero operating expenses as I imagine that their workers are laid off and collecting unemployment, their electricity and water bills should be extremely low, etc.

I just need a little more than a generic COVID related excuse and a history lesson.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Before I'd give money to support the Stonewall Inn in this way, I'd like a detailed accounting of exactly why the Inn needs $225k.

Does the establishment/owners not own the building/land that the inn sits on? Perhaps not, but a question that I have. If they don't own the land/building, it would make sense that their rent is very high, which would explain the need for these funds.

Otherwise, sure, their doors have been closed, but they also have essentially zero operating expenses as I imagine that their workers are laid off and collecting unemployment, their electricity and water bills should be extremely low, etc.

I just need a little more than a generic COVID related excuse and a history lesson.
It's also a NYC landmark..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Inn

Old 06-27-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Very good analysis. The most expensive part of a bar I would imagine is the rent followed by wages, then the liquor. The last two aren’t needed during covid so what else is there? Rent and maybe property taxes. So I don’t think they own the building. But you are right in requesting a ledger instead of covid as an excuse

Old 06-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Very good analysis. The most expensive part of a bar I would imagine is the rent followed by wages, then the liquor. The last two aren’t needed during covid so what else is there? Rent and maybe property taxes. So I don’t think they own the building. But you are right in requesting a ledger instead of covid as an excuse
Yep. I'm all about preserving the legacy and physical integrity of the Stonewall Inn, and I LOVE platforms like GoFundMe that make it easier to accomplish these goals via crowd fundraising. But I also want to know more about something if I am being asked to give money toward a cause.

There was another GoFundMe fundraiser for a 4.0 high school senior who was requesting a ton of money to cover tuition at a college as her parents earned too much to qualify for financial aid, but too little to cover cost of attendance at many schools. If I recall correctly, the student hadn't even picked a school yet. The student and her family lived in Massachusetts, so I wanted to know why they needed all of that money (and this was only for year one . . . good luck looking out for years 2-4), especially given that there are numerous excellent public colleges and universities in Massachusetts where the student would have qualified for in-state tuition and been able to pay considerably less.

And then there are the cases of funerals, where I see sob stories of people asking for $20k+ to cover funeral expenses. Having buried people recently, I know for a fact that dignified funerals can be done for FAR less than $20k, which brings me back to wanting to know exactly what these funds are actually for.

Always happy to help out worthy causes (whether Stonewall Inn preservation, students going to college, funeral expenses, etc), but I just ask that people be straight up about what the expenses are going toward

Old 06-27-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
And a National Historic Landmark, which makes you wonder how much trouble the Inn is actually in (there are funds available for both city and national landmarks).

Note, perhaps all of the funds for this year have been exhausted, but these are things I want to know before coughing up some dough.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 06-27-2020 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-27-2020, 01:25 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Add in property taxes, which are usually paid by the renter via lease clauses. In NYC, that would not be chump change.

Labor & Liquor are expenses they did eliminate the last few months, although they may have had to scrap some liquor, which is an expense, as to re-open, they would have to restock

I do agree they should detail their losses.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
see storm, what I tell ya, only took a few articles and the money flowed in. over $232K and counting

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-the-stonewall-inn

Last edited by BlakeJones; 06-27-2020 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City