Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 05:14 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

I was trying to figure which exact streets are the borders between these 2 neighborhoods/boroughs in this area. Using Google I didn't get a clear answer. So what do the locals say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
My father (RIP) once lived on Wilson ave which was still Ridgewood in the early 50's

When I grew up Ridgewood's imaginary line as understood by residents were in the
shape of one big square from Flushing Ave to Metropolitan ave to Freshpond Rd to Myrtle ave.

Much has changed over the years and it is hard to distinguish but
there is still a part of Ridgewood that still untouched since the 60's ................
It runs from Freshpond Rd to Metropolitan ave to Forest ave to Myrtle ave.

Hope this helps.

Now if you are looking into Ridgewood from a cultural perspective open up Google maps and focus in on named businesses.
Some Italian, German or Irish owned businesses are remnants of the old neighborhood and some old residents still living there.
Other businesses are owned under Latino names or Polish names and the people of same culture feel at home frequenting
such places.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-10-2020 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 07:27 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Google Maps has a hard border between the two neighborhoods.

It follows Cypress Avenue, Grove Street, St. Nicholas Avenue, Palmetto Street, Wyckoff Avenue, Irving Avenue, and Covert Street.

Now, I don't know if those borders are uniformly accepted as accurate or if they are identical to the Brooklyn-Queens border in that area. The Brooklyn-Queens border is hard and fast, but what constitutes the neighborhood borders may get a bit muggy . . . still, the border line between the borders disappears when I zoom in on Google Maps to try to determine the streets.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:37 AM

1,418 posts, read 723,456 times
More or less

Wyckoff Avenue south of Myrtle Avenue, Cypress Avenue north of Myrtle.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

It follows Cypress Avenue, Grove Street, St. Nicholas Avenue, Palmetto Street, Wyckoff Avenue, Irving Avenue, and Covert Street.

Now, I don't know if those borders are uniformly accepted as accurate or if they are identical to the Brooklyn-Queens border in that area. The Brooklyn-Queens border is hard and fast, but what constitutes the neighborhood borders may get a bit muggy . . . still, the border line between the borders disappears when I zoom in on Google Maps to try to determine the streets.
Response: absolutely correct . Thankyou.
I find it easier to lay it out it laymen's terms. One big square...........

Old 07-10-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
More or less

unless you were shopping on Knickerbocker avenue for school clothes,furniture groceries and meats.
The borders were extended a little more for the purpose of of shopping . Go figure. My cousin (RIP) lived right
across the street from the WWI monument. I remember watching the construction of new homes and a precinct.
Hope the monument is still there unless protesters ripped it down. Me and my pop use to talk to the boys outside
pigeon coops............on Myrtle. Clams on half shells where the White Castle now stands and I think the live butcher
across the street ( think it was near Gates ave ) is still in business..........Fresh slaughtered chickens...Yikes......
Those were the old days shopping with Dad ....but I moved away from helping mom plucking chickens as I prefer
Shopping at stores and growing my own vegetables in my garden.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-10-2020 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 12:29 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:

Correct. Just type in "Bushwick" on Google Maps. It changes a few times, it's not one straight line.

And yes, the Bushwick/Ridgewood border is the same as the borough border.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
More or less

So in the case of Cypress Avenue (for example), would one side of "east" side of the street be Ridgewood and the "west" side of the street be Bushwick?

Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
So in the case of Cypress Avenue (for example), would one side of "east" side of the street be Ridgewood and the "west" side of the street be Bushwick?
That's how it works with the East-West streets

Old 07-12-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's how it works with the East-West streets
To take this one step further, where is the west/east border between Ridgewood and Glendale?

Also is the Highland Park considered to be completely in Brooklyn (although it borders Brooklyn/Queens as well)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City