Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 01:02 AM

16 posts, read 8,464 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

New to this board and doing research. I've been in the Los Angeles area for the past 17 years (Calabasas and Glendale) and looking to move to NYC around October. Queens is our top area, most notably Astoria or Sunnyside.

Prices seem in our budget for a 1 or 2 bedroom across the board but not sure how that compares to normal prices before COVID. Since I've heard Fall is a good time to look for a deal, my wife and I feel it's time to make the move. What things should I be aware of before making this move to this area?

We are world travelers so very familiar with cities of all sorts and have been to the NY area (including Queens) several times in the past, but are there added issues right now (besides lockdown) that may hamper our move this year? Is it still a rat race right now to find a place to move into or does it seem easier to find deals without an apartment going too fast?

Also, what info should we have with us if we find a unit we are want to rent? Tax return and Pay stubs area given but unsure how my current "at home" job will transfer right now from LA. We have plenty of savings so unsure if that alone along with a great credit score and a letter from our current landlord would suffice.

I appreciate any info as our planning phase has just begun. I'm a professional photographer, established in LA, and want to be close enough to Manhattan without living in Manhattan.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 03:21 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Excerpt: (Calabasas and Glendale) and World Travelers

Response: I ran a comparison of neighborhood checks for you and found that Sunnyside ( since you chose it ) ran the closest in
overall scoring to Glendale California in terms of Demographics,Amenities,Cost of Living,Crime,Employment,housing and schools.

Not my neighborhood of choice as some neighborhoods are better at offering better quality of Life than others.

Best wishes...

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-19-2020 at 04:45 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 04:13 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,502,280 times
Oh gosh that like going from paradise to hell calabasas is so beautiful

Old 07-19-2020, 04:30 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Oh gosh that like going from paradise to hell calabasas is so beautiful
Response: Just complying with his specific requests with a structured opinion.

That is how the dollar works in New York City.
He wants to be close to Manhattan, the airport and affordability.
He asked about Astoria and Sunnyside.
Sunnyside is rated better than Astoria and scores as well as Glendale California.
Based on his rmentions..... this is his New Your City. He can always reset the bar
when he wishes and provide more details for a more precise response.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-19-2020 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanph View Post
Hi everyone,

New to this board and doing research. I've been in the Los Angeles area for the past 17 years (Calabasas and Glendale) and looking to move to NYC around October. Queens is our top area, most notably Astoria or Sunnyside.
Excellent choices, both offer good shopping and restaurants and post-COVID a happening bar scene. Sunnyside in particular also happens to be pretty family friendly if you're moving to that phase of life.

Quote:
Prices seem in our budget for a 1 or 2 bedroom across the board but not sure how that compares to normal prices before COVID. Since I've heard Fall is a good time to look for a deal, my wife and I feel it's time to make the move. What things should I be aware of before making this move to this area?
The areas you mentioned in particular don't have anything going on that isn't affecting NYC or the world for that matter as a whole. You've probably noticed that there's a lot of crime threads on here, and while sad, the surge is in areas you and yours probably have known to avoid (Harlem, Bronx, Parts of Brooklyn).

Quote:
We are world travelers so very familiar with cities of all sorts and have been to the NY area (including Queens) several times in the past, but are there added issues right now (besides lockdown) that may hamper our move this year? Is it still a rat race right now to find a place to move into or does it seem easier to find deals without an apartment going too fast?
I am happy to report that for the first time in years upon years this is a buyers market. Prices have been slashed across the board even in prime areas. That said, you're mentioning wanting to sublet, and to that end make sure you pencil out what kind of rent you're looking for to make this work. Rents have been dropping even in Manhattan.

Quote:
I appreciate any info as our planning phase has just begun. I'm a professional photographer, established in LA, and want to be close enough to Manhattan without living in Manhattan.
Welcome to NYC and I hope you enjoy it here. The areas you listed certainly fit that bill as does where I am in Jackson Heights, lots of Co-Ops here and very convenient to Manhattan

Old 07-19-2020, 06:37 AM

7,947 posts, read 9,164,633 times
OP Why??? Think it over.
Trading that area of CA to go to Sunnyside or Astoria??
What a huge step down.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:40 AM

37,167 posts, read 39,451,107 times
What is your budget and what are looking for in a neighborhood?

Old 07-19-2020, 06:41 AM

37,167 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
OP Why??? Think it over.
Trading that area of CA to go to Sunnyside or Astoria??
What a huge step down.
What. Are you out of your *calabaza*? He’s moving here from Glendale and Calabasas, and much of Astoria and Sunnyside can be really nice though it can also be pricey.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-19-2020 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 08:49 AM

16 posts, read 8,464 times
To explain, there's nothing in LA more for me to do at the moment. My wife and I have been wanting to hit up NY to live for some time now (actually mulled it over before coming to LA 17 years ago). Calabasas (or Calabadass) was nice but too far out from everything as a photographer and while looking up places in NY we also found that Sunnyside could be most comparable to Glendale CA as far as rent price and ease of travel. We want to keep our budget to as close to $2k as possible going as high as maybe $2200.

This could be a 12 month thing for us or turn up much more, but we feel now's the time to try it out. We just want to be prepared for what to expect, have realistic notions of doing this now during COVID (or within the next few months) and transplanting my photography roots there.

I also looked around Jackson Heights but wasn't sure how much of a distance that would be to Manhattan overall for us or for potential photography clients. A lot of what I do is travel photography, but I do open my place up for headshots, portraits and fashion as well so don't want to space myself psychologically too far away from that action.

Hopefully, by Nov 1st we could be New Yorkers but we are jotting down any potential roadblocks in the meantime.

Last edited by jhouston55; 07-19-2020 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: .

Old 07-19-2020, 09:49 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanph View Post
Hi everyone,

Also, what info should we have with us if we find a unit we are want to rent? Tax return and Pay stubs area given but unsure how my current "at home" job will transfer right now from LA. We have plenty of savings so unsure if that alone along with a great credit score and a letter from our current landlord would suffice.

Thanks

Are you crazy???? Close to Manhattan as possible? Live across the river in either Hoboken or jersey city. Way safer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City