Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 PM

5,698 posts, read 2,623,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
I walked around 86th Street and Broadway this week. More homeless than ever.
I was on 88th and broadway yesterday and a homeless man stood like an inch away from me, just smiling. Silly me , being on my phone I didn't notice until he was that close. He was probably tripping and happy high on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 11:39 PM

5,523 posts, read 8,781,160 times
Life here feels sort of sad and desolate now, especially if you're in an area that was hit by looting, like the shops on 5th Ave. Not sure that they're more homeless around. Maybe it just seems that way because there are fewer other people around and the homeless/crazies just stand out more. It's not as bleak as the days after 9/11 or Hurricane Sandy, but it does feel like we're riding in a car where all the tires are running low on air.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:59 AM

565 posts, read 362,542 times
I worked in midtown and downtown for many years up until about 2010 when I, way ahead of my time, began working from home. Peeps thought I was crazy at the time. Anywayz, midtown had a great buzz back in the day, even after 9/11. There was always a great energy, especially if you worked corporate. You felt like you were in the heart beat of the business world.

To see how it was looted and flooded by savage BLM rioters truly saddened me. Driving around one night to see it for myself, I couldn't believe I was actually watching people burn vans, topple police cars and break into stores, with the NYPD paralyzed to do anything. I never, ever thought "that stuff" could happen here.

So as I enter middle age, I'm done with Manhattan. I'm done with NY but really really done with Manhattan. And I feel most badly for young people in their 20s starting out in life. They will likely never experience Manhattan on full throttle during their prime years. Maybe in about 20 years from now it will come back to what it was. I hope it does. I'll always be a NYer at heart.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I worked in midtown and downtown for many years up until about 2010 when I, way ahead of my time, began working from home. Peeps thought I was crazy at the time. Anywayz, midtown had a great buzz back in the day, even after 9/11. There was always a great energy, especially if you worked corporate. You felt like you were in the heart beat of the business world.

To see how it was looted and flooded by savage BLM rioters truly saddened me. Driving around one night to see it for myself, I couldn't believe I was actually watching people burn vans, topple police cars and break into stores, with the NYPD paralyzed to do anything. I never, ever thought "that stuff" could happen here.

So as I enter middle age, I'm done with Manhattan. I'm done with NY but really really done with Manhattan. And I feel most badly for young people in their 20s starting out in life. They will likely never experience Manhattan on full throttle during their prime years. Maybe in about 20 years from now it will come back to what it was. I hope it does. I'll always be a NYer at heart.
I agree esp about the buzz part. Almost sensory overload if one was not used to it. From food to entertainment to shopping , places with some sort of scene for everyone. More green spaces got added that fit it all really well. When I worked at the hotels it was fun informing visitors of all the things to see and do. Now its empty concrete, closed businesses and just echos of what it was.

Its going to be a very long time until normalcy returns indeed.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:55 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,873,927 times
Excerpt: How Much Has Manhattan Deteriorated Since Covid?

Response: The question should be reworded to

How Much Has Manhattan Deteriorated Since Covid under the Cuomo/DeBlasio administration?

Old 07-31-2020, 06:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
For the average New Yorker the effect of protests and riots have been very minimal. Protesters very rarely interact with the public. In Minneapolis they burned down 20 buildings but in NY none.

The effect of the COVID lockdown has been huge, business loss and job loss but also necessary and is stressful on mental health

46 percent of New York renters are unable to pay rent
The percent you're quoting, 46%, is from an article that's talking about state by state numbers.

In NYC, the percent that aren't paying rent is 25%.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...ant-pay-report

Old 07-31-2020, 09:09 AM

6,701 posts, read 2,996,767 times
46% of people getting evicted?! That is an insane number,..wth.

That's like 4 million people. Really?!

Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,045,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt: How Much Has Manhattan Deteriorated Since Covid?

Response: The question should be reworded to

How Much Has Manhattan Deteriorated Since Covid under the Cuomo/DeBlasio administration?

I don't think a resurgence will take place until DeBlasio is gone.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:29 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
46% of people getting evicted?! That is an insane number,..wth.

That's like 4 million people. Really?!
Im a bit skeptical on the number being that high. I dont doubt there is a lot of people but doesnt NYS have 8 million people? 4 mil would be half the population.

People did fall behind on rent if they got laid off, did not have enough saved (like about 70% of Americans) and had to wait weeks for UI and PUA. But they should have been able to catch up quickly with the extra $$ that was recieved in many cases also right? Not the case for all renters I understand esp those with families.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:35 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times
City HAS deteriorated, but not as a result of non-existant "riots" nor protests but rather the shutting down of the economy and social life of the City, i.e., theater, museums, restaurants, libraries, bars, in-person shopping,etc.
and an overarching sense of FEAR. I will guess the City is less than 50% of what it was.

Whether it will fully recover from a destroyed economy is anyone's guess (National GDP down 33% in last quarter.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City