Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 02:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I do not. I value my health too much. In fact, I hardly ever eat at ANY restaurant, Chinese or otherwise. I love my own cooking and do it much better than any restaurant.
Do you have any soy sauce at home ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I actually have never had to check bathrooms at any places we go and we eat out maybe 3x a week .....never had issues like we had in chinatown....

Most of those places need the board of health to reinspect them
Yea, I agree--though I don't think it's necessarily the inspection as is that will help. I think the criteria currently doesn't include much about the bathroom for that restaurant rating. It can't be super flagrant, but I believe you can still get an A with a pretty dingy restroom so it'd require changing the criteria. I don't think your sentiment about Chinatown overall is all that uncommon or undeserved--the only thing is that reputation spreads to businesses in Chinatown that actually do a decent to good job with their restrooms and get dinged for being in the neighborhood which I think hurts them. If the actual inspections don't get reformed, then I think the Chinatown BID should take it upon themselves to change things. I like some of the places there and frequent some of them enough to actually have chats with the workers/owners or be recognized when I drop by. It'd be nice if that reputation could be changed for them if the other restaurants could up their restroom standards.

Anyhow, do the people around you say Chinatown and generally mean Flushing or Sunset Park? Are you unique in saying Chinatown to refer to the neighborhood in Manhattan?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Do you have any soy sauce at home ?
Nope. Got Worcestershire sauce and Mustard (homemade). If I can totally avoid it, I minimize any China-made crap in my home. In fact, I even have a computer from the early 80s that was all made in USA and Germany, including the Modem (Made in USA).

Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Nope. Got Worcestershire sauce and Mustard (homemade). If I can totally avoid it, I minimize any China-made crap in my home. In fact, I even have a computer from the early 80s that was all made in USA and Germany, including the Modem (Made in USA).
Taiwan, US, Japan, South Korean and other countries also make soy sauce. The easily most available sauce in the US is Kikkoman brand soy sauce brewed in either Wisconsin or California with their two plants. If you were in beautiful Brooklyn, you may have come across a bunch of small batch "craft" soy sauce brewed closer to here though you pay a premium.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:40 PM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Taiwan, US, Japan, South Korean and other countries also make soy sauce.
True. I don't like it though. I do not prepare any meal that is ethnic enough to warrant soy sauce. I'm as vanilla as it gets when it comes to food. Have you ever seen a Howard Johnson menu of the 1980s and before? That's basically me. Or, Bob Evans style food.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:42 PM

106,572 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Yea, I agree--though I don't think it's necessarily the inspection as is that will help. I think the criteria currently doesn't include much about the bathroom for that restaurant rating. It can't be super flagrant, but I believe you can still get an A with a pretty dingy restroom so it'd require changing the criteria. I don't think your sentiment about Chinatown overall is all that uncommon or undeserved--the only thing is that reputation spreads to businesses in Chinatown that actually do a decent to good job with their restrooms and get dinged for being in the neighborhood which I think hurts them. If the actual inspections don't get reformed, then I think the Chinatown BID should take it upon themselves to change things. I like some of the places there and frequent some of them enough to actually have chats with the workers/owners or be recognized when I drop by. It'd be nice if that reputation could be changed for them if the other restaurants could up their restroom standards.

Anyhow, do the people around you say Chinatown and generally mean Flushing or Sunset Park? Are you unique in saying Chinatown to refer to the neighborhood in Manhattan?
Everyone I know stopped going to Chinatown years ago so it never comes up ..but if it did we would only mean manhattan

Old 08-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Taiwan, US, Japan, South Korean and other countries also make soy sauce. The easily most available sauce in the US is Kikkoman brand soy sauce brewed in either Wisconsin or California with their two plants. If you were in beautiful Brooklyn, you may have come across a bunch of small batch "craft" soy sauce brewed closer to here though you pay a premium.
That is not patriotic enough La Choy is American made

---however mentally it's still Chinese so it's better to tear the label off

Old 08-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I do not prepare any meal that is ethnic enough to warrant soy sauce. I'm as vanilla as it gets when it comes to food. Have you ever seen a Howard Johnson menu of the 1980s and before? That's basically me. Or, Bob Evans style food.
I'm shocked

Are you vanilla across the board or do you have any non-vanilla habits or beliefs ?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
True. I don't like it though. I do not prepare any meal that is ethnic enough to warrant soy sauce. I'm as vanilla as it gets when it comes to food. Have you ever seen a Howard Johnson menu of the 1980s and before? That's basically me. Or, Bob Evans style food.
Yea, I get that, but you strung soy sauce and non-Chinese made together in the same post when that’s not the reason for why you don’t use soy sauce.

I don’t have much personal experience with the 80s, but I have an idea of what you’re talking about. It seems less like you’re not very adventurous and more like fairly limited. Does Greek or Mexican go too far for you? How about eels or offal?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:49 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nope ...I am done with that area .....to filthy and it’s a crap shoot with finding a clean restaurant bathroom ..I don't want The workers near my food in most of those places

you have to get out of your little bubble and visit the subway toilets to get some real life experience, mr mathjack...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City