Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 06:04 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Many Chinese work in cash intensive businesses. This means that much of their earning are never reported to the IRS.

I've a friend, a white guy, who worked in NYC's Chinatown. Knew many Chinese. He once accompanied a Chinese friend to the latter's bank. The friend had over $10,000 in his safety deposit box.
Response:
I believe in paying your fair share of taxes.
Karma is always watching. I have never known
of anyone whose destiny and fate was not tied into
the result of how they lived their life.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:07 AM

5,140 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response:
I share that ..I too am one not for loud music and midnight parties.
I give elders ,even those older than me the edge of respect.
I live within my ethnicity and trouble free.
Absolutely love the exchange between our cultures.

But as the old saying goes I draw the line somewhere in the sand and this is it.
You can not get me to live in a high rise under any circumstance or live close together.
The earth is to big a place to be confined. I enjoy mother nature as it was intended.

Best wishes.
It is better that we can all like different things in life in harmony and peace: I can look down upon you smiling when you sun bath naked in your pretty private backyard, while you looking up at me high in the sky admiring the safe living that I enjoy in my guarded apartment when thugs roam the streets down on the ground... Diversity can be a good thing in the eyes of peace loving citizens... but the racists can always come up with hateful twists on things that differ from their own routines or views of the world even though the said differences don’t interfere with their QOL in any remote way. when I lived in Blyn a good while ago, I overheard my Irish American neighbors chatting and expressing their disgust over how “guidos” put red sauce into everything they cook and that the “chinks” mix their food with soy sauce non stop...for them, if you don’t put alcohol into your coffee, you will be treated like a pagan...

Old 08-15-2020, 09:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-developments

The cultural and culinary landscape of Flushing, in Queens, has been disrupted as Asian American conglomerates gentrify the working-class area
Very expected, and not surprising.

It happened in Chinatown, Manhattan. Now, it is happening in Flushing. I won't be surprised if this phenomena is happening in all parts of southern Brooklyn, as well.

Anytime you have a popular neighborhood, especially one which it's cornerstone is affordable cuisines, or "cheap eats," as Chinatown(s) is known for, you will see a supply and demand phenomenon. You will see developers, who will want to invest in already crowded Chinatown, Flushing, Queens. And yes, the mom and pop restaurants and stores may be sacrificed.

Oh, and don't go on the premise that mom and pops are protected if they own their property. As everyone knows, when the value goes up, so do the taxes. And can mom and pops stay afloat with rising tax costs.....?

Old 08-15-2020, 09:48 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

It happened in Chinatown, Manhattan. Now, it is happening in Flushing. I won't be surprised if this phenomena is happening in all parts of southern Brooklyn, as well.

Anytime you have a popular neighborhood, especially one which it's cornerstone is affordable cuisines, or "cheap eats," as Chinatown(s) is known for, you will see a supply and demand phenomenon. You will see developers, who will want to invest in already crowded Chinatown, Flushing, Queens. And yes, the mom and pop restaurants and stores may be sacrificed.

Oh, and don't go on the premise that mom and pops are protected if they own their property. As everyone knows, when the value goes up, so do the taxes. And can mom and pops stay afloat with rising tax costs.....?
It's starting in southern Brooklyn already. Sunset Park 8th Avenue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2020, 10:08 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
That’s a river??? Looks and smells more like radioactive dumping grounds.
Exactly it needs some beautification. I am not sure what area they are talking about though. College Point has a real waterfront. Why not go there? Between college point and Flushing/Shea Stadium is some industrial/warehouse zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Flushing to Chinatown is like UES to Washington Heights.

Location matters and you pay a premium for your location.
Flushing is really dirty too especially Roosevelt/Main

Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

Good point. No way do they let a neighborhood just be if there's money to be had. It's the way of the world.
Not saying if it's right or wrong. It's just the way it is.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM

565 posts, read 362,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I feel no sympathy for Chinese people in Flushing. Sorry if this makes me a monster, but as someone born and raised in Flushing I say they reap what they sow. Chinese people roll up to purchase homes owned by baby boomers with boatloads of cash, raising the prices for millennials born and raised here who can't afford even the crappiest, tiny starter home. Where do they get this money? They are income poor, cash rich. Serves them right that they now feel the effects of people coming in and raising their home prices. I find it hilarious that they're being pushed out by other Asians.

Sorry, not sorry.
Man o Man. I love your post. I'm also from the Flushing area. Went to Flushing HS even. As a GenXer, I watched as white, black and Hispanics were slowly chased out of the downtown area. It started slow. Busy Bee, a hang out mall for diverse teens in the 80s, suddenly turns into a Chinese foodcourt yelling at black kids who lived in the Bland houses to not come in. And if you were a white "American" speaking English, you got the cold shoulder. This eventually happened block by block, apt by apt and house by house.

Anyone that lived in Flushing as recently as 1999 even, wouldn't recognize the place. And sure, it's great that all the boomers were able to cash out big time from mainland Chinese money but their kids and grandkids can't afford to even sniff a house in the area. Just another reason how "American" kids were artificially pushed out of buying homes in their own hood by "immigrants."

The worst part of the Chinese invasion has been the crime. Yea, the CRIME. Massage parlors "***** houses" are littered on every quiet tree lined street and blvd. There's even one right next door to a child day care center in North Flushing I've been trying to close down for a year now to no avail because the 109pct takes its orders from the local Chinese politicians who refuse to enforce our American laws on illegal Chinese aliens. And if it's not ***** houses or street walkers on Main. St, it's illegal gambling rings in private homes where kids live, meth selling "Kareoke" joints that used to be neighborhood delicatessens as well as "nail salons" offering happy endings that used to be your corner candy store!

They reap what they sow. I hope they are all chased out. Ironically, the blacks they chased out 20 years ago are now preying upon them and their businesses since DeBlasio got into office. There are more homes and stores burglarized in this area the last 5 years compared to the previous 30. I kinda laugh at it, watching racist foreign born Chinese mainlanders trying to call 911 and then explaining to the cops how the perps were black or Hispanic. The same folks that lived on their blocks in the 1980s before they decided to show up, about half of them illegally.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:34 PM

565 posts, read 362,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
The Chinese in Flushing received cues of the looming pandemic from hearing/watching how things were unfolding in the CCP China... some of them tried to act “ahead of the curve” with preventative gears but got beaten up by thugs......, which deterred other Chinese from wearing masks...the majority in the US at the time couldn’t imagine that the bug could ever find its way here or cause any concern...look at the mess the US has been going through since March...
Several Chinese people on my street were sick back as far as December after traveling form mainland China. Of course the local Chinese knew about the virus before most "Americans." The criminal part is that local politicians like Grace Meng and John Liu as well as DeBlasio knew it was here yet kept on promoting Lunar New Year parades in places like Flushing where the virus was spreading like wildfire early on.

I blame them for the vast majority of covid deaths in NY.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 3,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response: Opinion

People from other parts of the world that are used to living atop each other find no issue with well......living atop each other.
I'm all for it. Pile your bricks one by one until you touch the moon. Charge millions to live high up, squeezed into a one room
studio and peer down on everything. I'll be sure to wave up to you with a big hello while I easily reach out to touch a beautiful
cypress or pick some wild berries or feed some deer. Less room for you means just that much more room for me.

Response: Your opinion is an opinion.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:47 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,686,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Man o Man. I love your post. I'm also from the Flushing area. Went to Flushing HS even. As a GenXer, I watched as white, black and Hispanics were slowly chased out of the downtown area. It started slow. Busy Bee, a hang out mall for diverse teens in the 80s, suddenly turns into a Chinese foodcourt yelling at black kids who lived in the Bland houses to not come in. And if you were a white "American" speaking English, you got the cold shoulder. This eventually happened block by block, apt by apt and house by house.

Anyone that lived in Flushing as recently as 1999 even, wouldn't recognize the place. And sure, it's great that all the boomers were able to cash out big time from mainland Chinese money but their kids and grandkids can't afford to even sniff a house in the area. Just another reason how "American" kids were artificially pushed out of buying homes in their own hood by "immigrants."

The worst part of the Chinese invasion has been the crime. Yea, the CRIME. Massage parlors "***** houses" are littered on every quiet tree lined street and blvd. There's even one right next door to a child day care center in North Flushing I've been trying to close down for a year now to no avail because the 109pct takes its orders from the local Chinese politicians who refuse to enforce our American laws on illegal Chinese aliens. And if it's not ***** houses or street walkers on Main. St, it's illegal gambling rings in private homes where kids live, meth selling "Kareoke" joints that used to be neighborhood delicatessens as well as "nail salons" offering happy endings that used to be your corner candy store!

They reap what they sow. I hope they are all chased out. Ironically, the blacks they chased out 20 years ago are now preying upon them and their businesses since DeBlasio got into office. There are more homes and stores burglarized in this area the last 5 years compared to the previous 30. I kinda laugh at it, watching racist foreign born Chinese mainlanders trying to call 911 and then explaining to the cops how the perps were black or Hispanic. The same folks that lived on their blocks in the 1980s before they decided to show up, about half of them illegally.
I cosign all of this. I openly admit that I don't like Chinese people. Not Chinese Americans, mind you. Chinese people from China. And I don't feel bad about it either because Chinese people are racist against non-Chinese anyway. Now they're being priced out--too bad, so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City