Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 01:40 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-developments

The cultural and culinary landscape of Flushing, in Queens, has been disrupted as Asian American conglomerates gentrify the working-class area

Old 08-13-2020, 06:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
What waterfront? Are they talking about that little river between Flushing and FMCP/Corona, underneath where the 7 train pulls into Main St? Basically next to Shea Stadium

That place could use some beautification if you ask me. Flushing is seeing a greater influx of younger generation from Mainland. That is all. I dont know if that can be called Gentrification.

I was seeing more and more whities in Skyview, but I think Covid booted them all out.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
But I feel for the residents. It is up to the people living here whether or not they want more development. No developer, banker, investor etc etc should be able to bully their way into a location and get what they want. They are free to go anywhere else they are wanted.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:58 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Response: Opinion

People from other parts of the world that are used to living atop each other find no issue with well......living atop each other.
I'm all for it. Pile your bricks one by one until you touch the moon. Charge millions to live high up, squeezed into a one room
studio and peer down on everything. I'll be sure to wave up to you with a big hello while I easily reach out to touch a beautiful
cypress or pick some wild berries or feed some deer. Less room for you means just that much more room for me.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
I don't think it would change much, many Asians are very cash wealthy. Just because some working non-Asian moves into the area won't change the demographics surrounding it. A lot of non-Asians are moving there because they want to be in the area influenced by Asians. A lot of working folks likes the choices of ethnic food in Flushing vs being stuck in Williamsburg where there's nothing but overpriced trendy eats.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:34 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think it would change much, many Asians are very cash wealthy. Just because some working non-Asian moves into the area won't change the demographics surrounding it. A lot of non-Asians are moving there because they want to be in the area influenced by Asians. A lot of working folks likes the choices of ethnic food in Flushing vs being stuck in Williamsburg where there's nothing but overpriced trendy eats.

Just because it's a pretty building doesn't make it a nice place to live. Flushing has turned into another
LEGO sandbox for all the wealthy developers to play in except they leave after making their mess and
continue onto the next playground. It's the people that come in behind the little rich kids that have to
pay to play once they leave.

$1.5 million for an apartment in Flushing? Seriously? You can buy a building in nicer parts of Queens for that price.
$6 dollar dumplings in Flushing ? I can get 5 for $1 in Manhattan and have a better time.

Barnum said it best. There's a sucker born every minute.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:46 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Just because it's a pretty building doesn't make it a nice place to live. Flushing has turned into another
LEGO sandbox for all the wealthy developers to play in except they leave after making their mess and
continue onto the next playground. It's the people that come in behind the little rich kids that have to

$1.5 million for an apartment in Flushing? Seriously? You can buy a building in nicer parts of Queens for that price.
$6 dollar dumplings in Flushing ? I can get 5 for $1 in Manhattan and have a better time.

Good one, Mister! Lol

Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

That's the premium they pay for living in their ethnic enclaves. That's why communities with Asians have house prices that get propped up to head scratching levels.

Last edited by nyccs; 08-14-2020 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-14-2020, 06:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,686,303 times
I feel no sympathy for Chinese people in Flushing. Sorry if this makes me a monster, but as someone born and raised in Flushing I say they reap what they sow. Chinese people roll up to purchase homes owned by baby boomers with boatloads of cash, raising the prices for millennials born and raised here who can't afford even the crappiest, tiny starter home. Where do they get this money? They are income poor, cash rich. Serves them right that they now feel the effects of people coming in and raising their home prices. I find it hilarious that they're being pushed out by other Asians.

Sorry, not sorry.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:04 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But I feel for the residents. It is up to the people living here whether or not they want more development. No developer, banker, investor etc etc should be able to bully their way into a location and get what they want. They are free to go anywhere else they are wanted.
60% of the residents in zip code 11354 are renters, according to City-Data:

//www.city-data.com/zips/11354.html

So 60% of the population have no say in what happens to their neighborhood as they do not own their properties. Que sera sera

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City