Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 10,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
What's your definition of broke?
Also we all have the right to make decisions in our own life whether people agree or disagree. However your daughter did not ask to come into this world, you chose to have her so it's really not fair to her to make her live a broke life because you want to live in New York City.
I could not disagree more. My definition of "broke" is having around $2k of disposable income per month after all bills are paid and groceries are bought. In most parts of the country this would be a lot of money, but I know in NYC it will not stretch nearly as far. I am an ARMY brat who grew up around the world and I would argue fiercely that the culture my daughter would be exposed to in NYC is worth exponentially more than a closet full of shoes and a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs.

Last edited by jenandkam; 09-16-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
when?

If so I recommend in Feb 2021
the whole country is in a highly unpredictable state right now
Hi Jon. Unfortunately, it would be about a year and a half out from that - likely summer 2021. In the plan I've set forth, I want to have a minimum of $40k in the bank before I move. I like a cushion.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Another....

"HELP I'M KRAZY AND I LOVE NYC!"

Post?
Nope - but I appreciate the humor. I grew up around the world and it took me years to narrow it down to NYC. I've been planning and budgeting and saving for the move for several years. So, no, not a "fly by night" plan. Not that I see anything wrong with that - live and let live!

Old 09-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yup, I live here and even I didn't recommend my own neighborhood of Jackson Heights (where you can definitely get a nice 800 sq foot one bedroom for $2000) because I'm just not sure about the schools. It's a diverse neighborhood with over 100 language spoken, and there are a lot of people here who care about education who send their kids to the local schools. but since I don't know any details, I did not want to mislead OP.

Some other people seem to have no qualms about that!

If Manhattan is an option for $2000, then I'd go with that, with some exceptions like East Harlem, etc.
How do you feel about the safety in Jackson Heights?

Old 09-16-2020, 01:19 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandkam View Post
Hi Jon. Unfortunately, it would be about a year and a half out from that - likely summer 2021. In the plan I've set forth, I want to have a minimum of $40k in the bank before I move. I like a cushion.
Quote:
I could not disagree more. My definition of "broke" is having around $2k of disposable income per month after all bills are paid and groceries are bought. In most parts of the country this would be a lot of money, but I know in NYC it will not stretch nearly as far. I am an ARMY brat who grew up around the world and I would argue fiercely that the culture my daughter would be exposed to in NYC is worth exponentially more than a closet full of shoes and a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs.
Quote:
Nope - but I appreciate the humor. I grew up around the world and it took me years to narrow it down to NYC. I've been planning and budgeting and saving for the move for several years. So, no, not a "fly by night" plan. Not that I see anything wrong with that - live and let live!
There have been posts on this forum from people who have far less concrete plans and preparedness asking about moving to NYC, so it's reasonable that when you said you're willing to be broke to live here, the potential "brokeness" could have easily been far worse than what you've described. $2K disposable per month after all bills (assuming that's post-taxes, up to $2K rent, phone, heat, electricity) and groceries and a cushion of $40K saved up wouldn't be considered broke for many here as it'd be above the median household income here.

Would you be looking for work here or working remotely? Commute times can be grueling, so that might also be a factor.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Bed Stuy, oh my!
Yea, Bed-Stuy can still be quite rough, but it's also one of the larger neighborhoods in the city so there's a considerable amount of variance within the neighborhood. Still wouldn't be my first choice though if considering middle schools and not having the budget for private or being able to test into a magnet school / program. The really bougie parents I know with kids living in Bed-Stuy mostly seem to be doing one of those two.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the safety in Jackson Heights?
I feel safe, you know, within reason, since this is a city.

Here's a little bit of what our summer looked like
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/06/...ntly-car-free/

However, definitely some sketchier looking parts of the neighborhood, like on Roosevelt Ave.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:05 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
u can get a 1br apt for $2k anywhere

Old 09-16-2020, 03:19 PM

821 posts, read 775,499 times
I'd recommend Forest Hills in Queens, which has good schools. It also has an Express subway stop (E & F trains). Here's some examples of apts listed there.

https://streeteasy.com/building/104_...rest_hills/01t

https://streeteasy.com/building/102_...orest_hills/6h

Old 09-16-2020, 03:24 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Keep in mind the size. LES interestingly I've noticed I'm zoned into pretty good schools, but a good chunk of the 1bds are smaller than my studio at the $2k price. I'd also assume Forest Hills is a great option right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City