Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 09:08 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Well I did finally have my knee surgery. So I guess I can't quite be naked since I have a brace on my leg from my ankle to my thigh
Oh, that's great! Not that you had to have surgery but that you finally got it done. Hope you have a speedy recovery and able to run or at least walk in no time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many of these posts go a long way in explaining why NYC is mostly full of renters, many of them mollycoddled by rent regulations, and or otherwise protected.
With older apartments, you have no say in how much heat you get. Friends of mine would love it if they could turn down the heat and stop having to resort to opening up windows but it's either on full blast or nothing at all. There's no in between.

I, however do control the heat in my apt & adjust it accordingly because I don't like it to be too stifling hot. I like my apt to be warm but not resemble a sauna. And I do like to have some clothes on. lol.

My brother's house in Long Island however, is ...cold! But he's paying for the heat so... it's wooly sweaters, fuzzy slippers and sometimes gloves for me when we're out there visiting.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
My ex-BIL and his wife kept their place FREEZING in Winter. Their response "We like it cold" but in the Summer they never turned on the central air conditioning. Their excuse: "We like it warm.

Reality: They liked it CHEAP.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:00 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
You sound like my brother. Whenever we visit his place in Long Island and complain about the cold, he gives us these woolly sweaters and fuzzy slippers. lol.

Apt. living in NYC, you get used to the heat being cranked up while walking around with a t-shirt and shorts in the dead of winter. Reminds me of a time when my mom held rental property. This one tenant always insisted on cranking up the heat & when my mom pointed out that he was wearing "summer attire" his retort back was that he always dressed like that! lol.
My first apartment was in Italy, where you not only pay rent, but also pay for water, gas and HEAT and AC, and the heating system there is not great. I had remote control heating and AC, which is a big deal there. Even so, I STILL had to have my landlord bring over a portable heater. I had a long hallway, and my heating AC was only in my bedroom and "salotto" (living room and kitchen area). Having my apartment in the States, the first year I lived in my own place, we got good heat. After that, it varied. If you have a balcony, I have found that it's always harder to keep it warm during the cold months. My current apartment is a pre-war building. Never too cold, but never terribly hot either. Just enough heat.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:28 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
My apartment no way to control the heat
I’m either boiling hot or freezing
Today no heat at all

Old 10-27-2020, 05:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My ex-BIL and his wife kept their place FREEZING in Winter. Their response "We like it cold" but in the Summer they never turned on the central air conditioning. Their excuse: "We like it warm.

Reality: They liked it CHEAP.
It isn't always about being "cheap". People who've never owned in their life and thus had to pay heating bills throw that word around. Meanwhile they go home to a rent regulated, NYCHA or whatever apartment where they are largely insulated from true costs of heating.

As for air conditioning again if you aren't paying that bill who are you to judge? Plenty of people really don't like nor need to be in an igloo all summer long.

Air conditioning is a comfort; people lived for hundreds of years without it, and unless we're talking massive prolonged heat wave temps (several days and nights > 90F), you adapt and survive.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:56 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
It isn't always about being "cheap". People who've never owned in their life and thus had to pay heating bills throw that word around. Meanwhile they go home to a rent regulated, NYCHA or whatever apartment where they are largely insulated from true costs of heating.

As for air conditioning again if you aren't paying that bill who are you to judge? Plenty of people really don't like nor need to be in an igloo all summer long.

Air conditioning is a comfort; people lived for hundreds of years without it, and unless we're talking massive prolonged heat wave temps (several days and nights > 90F), you adapt and survive.
You don't know his friends and you've never been to his friend's place so you have no idea if it is or isn't about being cheap. Stop thinking you know what everyone's thinking cuz you don't.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:

For most people, it IS about being cheap, trust me. As someone that has had to pay for water, gas, electric AND heat, it is NOT cheap. People become conscious when they have to pay for things. That's the reality of it. A relative of mine who owned a house here in NYC would do the same thing, that is keep the heat on low to keep costs down. What is interesting now is some of the newer apartments don't include heat, and so you have to pay for that on your own.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:56 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For most people, it IS about being cheap, trust me. As someone that has had to pay for water, gas, electric AND heat, it is NOT cheap. People become conscious when they have to pay for things. That's the reality of it. A relative of mine who owned a house here in NYC would do the same thing, that is keep the heat on low to keep costs down. What is interesting now is some of the newer apartments don't include heat, and so you have to pay for that on your own.
Don't know if I would call it "cheap" per se; just choosing where to spend one's money.

If people are comfortable with whatever indoor temps that is what matters. Some people like to live above their heads, others not so much.

Also many people were raised or otherwise not to want what they haven't got.

Those who grew up with enough heat (and not the blazing like he** NYCHA) indoor temps often aren't that bothered. OTOH those who are like hot house orchids and must have tons of heat because that is what they are used to tend to be bothered by "chilly" indoor temps.

Again my friends from Europe like others from that area can't get over how hot things are indoors during winter, and freezing in summer. In much of France and elsewhere you pay for heat/hot water directly because individual apartments have their own means. Given often very high local energy costs people just don't crank up or down indoor temps.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Don't know if I would call it "cheap" per se; just choosing where to spend one's money.

If people are comfortable with whatever indoor temps that is what matters. Some people like to live above their heads, others not so much.

Also many people were raised or otherwise not to want what they haven't got.

Those who grew up with enough heat (and not the blazing like he** NYCHA) indoor temps often aren't that bothered. OTOH those who are like hot house orchids and must have tons of heat because that is what they are used to tend to be bothered by "chilly" indoor temps.

Again my friends from Europe like others from that area can't get over how hot things are indoors during winter, and freezing in summer. In much of France and elsewhere you pay for heat/hot water directly because individual apartments have their own means. Given often very high local energy costs people just don't crank up or down indoor temps.
That is indeed part of it. Utilities are much higher in Europe. Aside from that, some buildings simply can't handle having so many things running at once. I was constantly at the fuse box in my apartment in Italy because I didn't realize that running the dishwasher and microwave at once wasn't possible, so that had me go back to hand washing, which saved me on my water bill. Soap up everything with the water off, then rinse everything in hot water before the hot water tank ran cold. Coming back to the States, not having the heat blazing isn't such a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: