Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
They do have those in large buildings. It's called the storage room, where you pay for space.

You do know space is a sought after in NYC. Every sq ft of space is a premium. Some buildings have lobby's that are smaller then a closet. Especially walk ups. Many don't have any actual lobby its a narrow hall to a stair case.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ha ha.

This is why I plan on only being there during Springs and Falls.

I'm not as dumb as I look.

Spring and Fall, there is no s...

English isnt even my first language, but this was too easy, I just had to...

Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That movie reminds of Barefoot in the Park where the mother had to walk up those flights of stairs and got all out of breath.

Anyway, even is some elevator buildings, they can also be walk up apartments, if you get my drift. Has anyone ever seen The Big Bang Theory and that takes place in SoCal.

yes, yes, yes.......

Old 10-17-2020, 07:02 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
No . . . I am process oriented - so the first thread (that was linked somewhere) was from an early stage when I had a certain idea of what I wanted to do and realized I knew nothing about how things work in NYC. I was trying to figure out how to fly with a dog, get to a new apartment I had rented and have a place to sleep that night and then have stuff delivered.

If you are coming across country with a dog, you need to figure these things out. I was imagining then that I would have rented an apartment, might make an arrangement for a friend to get the key and meet me there - would have ordered at least a blow-up bed and bedding to have a place to sleep. Did not (and still don't really) have a clue about deliveries and how they work.

And subsequent to that first post, I learned lots of things (despite popular opinions to the contrary) and now I was just focusing specifically on walk-ups (because I never really figured it out from the first inquiry). And I am too old for a walk-up - so it wasn't for me, but to help me understand more about how people live.

I am interested in sociology and cultural anthropology. I am a curious person.

I have a nice little library now of maps, and various historical books on the West Village and WSP, etc.

When I was there last, I did not understand the subway, but loved it. I had a friend with me to figure it out, so I didn't pay much attention. I did injure myself trying to get through the turnstile. Got a huge bruise on my leg! I also noticed that on some trains there was a ticker on top advising next stops, but on other trains, there was a person miles away announcing stops (and I couldn't really hear them).

Since I am old, I want to be as fully prepared as I can be and that is why I ask questions.

I would like all of the people who feel annoyed by my questions to quit reading my posts, because I don't think I should have to justify my threads. If I post something and you think it's stupid, just scroll on. How does it hurt your life?

The thread about walkups would have maybe received a better reception on the Retirement forum (after all, walkups are pretty ubiquitous in the cities nationwide). But I am not sure why you consider yourself so old, or rather why you find your age an impediment to taking stairs (I am 60, and think stairs are fun, and my 85+ year old parents agree). If I am not mistaken, you are less than 10 years older than I, which is in medical literature considered a "young-old" (the newer literature starts considering people to be physiologically senior at 65, and divides them into young-old at 65-74, medium-old at 75-84, and the oldest-old at 85+). Unless you have class 3 or greater heart failure, or are bed-bound/in wheelchair due to stroke or other severe neurologic disability, what is the problem with a few flights of stairs?

Last edited by elnrgby; 10-17-2020 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
Quote:
Given there are so many thieves these days, apartment buildings "should" have a locked area in the lobby where stuff could be stored, temporarily.
Bikes are being stolen from a locked room in my building

Old 10-17-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Actually OP, You should watch the movie "5 Flights UP". Its a movie about a couple played by Diane Keaton and Morgan Freeman, pondering selling their walk up apartment. Its a few years old and It's on Netflixs.
Obviously its fiction but the situation is a reality for some NY-ers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Flights_Up
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I watched it last night. It was fun. I especially loved the visuals of the city and their particular apartment.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Spring and Fall, there is no s...

English isnt even my first language, but this was too easy, I just had to...
Sorry, don't get it.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Sorry, don't get it.
He's correcting your grammar... It's Spring and Fall. Not "Springs" and "Falls". Lord knows people are butchering English enough...

Old 10-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The thread about walkups would have maybe received a better reception on the Retirement forum (after all, walkups are pretty ubiquitous in the cities nationwide). But I am not sure why you consider yourself so old, or rather why you find your age an impediment to taking stairs (I am 60, and think stairs are fun, and my 85+ year old parents agree). If I am not mistaken, you are less than 10 years older than I, which is in medical literature considered a "young-old" (the newer literature starts considering people to be physiologically senior at 65, and divides them into young-old at 65-74, medium-old at 75-84, and the oldest-old at 85+). Unless you have class 3 or greater heart failure, or are bed-bound/in wheelchair due to stroke or other severe neurologic disability, what is the problem with a few flights of stairs?
1) I posted in this forum because I am particularly interested in walkups in NYC. I don't know about walkups in any other city.

2) I call myself old - not sure who gets to decide when that applies. I am in the last quarter of my life, so is that better? If you are interested in seeing what it's like for old people to walk up flights of stairs, check out that movie that was recommended. It will show you. It's just common sense that walkups are not the ideal situation for old people.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:50 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
1) I posted in this forum because I am particularly interested in walkups in NYC. I don't know about walkups in any other city.

2) I call myself old - not sure who gets to decide when that applies. I am in the last quarter of my life, so is that better? If you are interested in seeing what it's like for old people to walk up flights of stairs, check out that movie that was recommended. It will show you. It's just common sense that walkups are not the ideal situation for old people.

Well, I have seen (privately and professionally) many old people climb stairs, I don't really need a movie to show me that :-). One of my grandfathers climbed 3 flights of stairs, after walking 5+ miles all over the city, pretty much every day in his undisputably old age, until a few weeks prior to his death at the age of 99 (during those few weeks, he didn't walk because he was unconscious, most likely from a brainstem stroke). I don't think age itself is a reason for not being able to climb stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City