Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Apartment vs Brownstone
Large Apartment 15 68.18%
Brownstone/townhouse 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 06:06 PM

295 posts, read 281,378 times

Advertisements

Large apartment. I like the building I’m in (but of course could use a larger apartment) - built in 1951, nice thick walls, lots of closets, a real eat-in kitchen. Half a block from a nice park and the East river, quiet dead-end street, doorman, etc. As enticing as something like a brownstone or townhouse is, I don’t want the headaches of having to keep the place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 07:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Penthouse in the LES during non-covid. Living on the 22nd floor right now, I don't hear street noise and I feel very secure safety-wise. I can go out to hundreds of bars and restaurants, grocery stores aplenty, etc. etc. If I could get the entire top floor or something? Hell yeah! Especially since I'm in my late 20s. I'd also like a balcony.

I couldn't own a house or even rent something on the first floor/basement. I'm paranoid of living on the first floor as I feel like I'm the most likely to be robbed place if the building gets broken into. Flooding is also something I'm not fond of. In the apartment maintenance is included so to speak, so I can be lazy and dedicate my time to other things. Brownstone not so much. Plus I have no pests currently, probably would be the same in a penthouse. Brownstone? Forget it. Roaches, mice, waterbugs, misquitos, yuck.
Do you have any fear of height or fire issues?

Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You know, I don't think I've ever been in a real brownstone. If I have, I don't remember.
I’ve been in a few. I remember them being very narrow.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:58 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
This is tough for me. I grew up living in a beautiful brownstone on Hancock Street in Bed Stuy. But I also prefer high rise apartment living. At the end of the day, a large, spacious apartment would likely win out for me so long as it was in a high rise.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I love the architecture and the history of brownstones. But much like Javawood, I have a fear of living in a place that can be broken into. I could never live in an actual house. I need to live in an apartment with one door in and one door out. Forget about a place where there's windows and several doors. I would like a place at least on the 5th floor so odds of someone breaking in from outside are unlikely. Also as much as I hate hearing my neighbors. It's refreshing to know that you have neighbors that could hear you if something happened.
Do people really climb into brownstone windows that often?

Old 10-20-2020, 11:25 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Do people really climb into brownstone windows that often?
There are tasteful security bars that can be placed over the windows on the lower levels of a brownstone, too.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:40 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you have any fear of height or fire issues?
Only if I look straight down haha. Never had a fear of fire issues and at the end of the day, I know people who've had their apartments and houses burn down, more houses than apartments in fact, so it doesn't factor into my decision for living situation. Since my friends apartment burned and he got more out of his renters insurance than he lost in Boston, I've happily paid the $12.50/mo.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
I do like outdoor space, but if I had brownstone money, I could get a nice large apartment with an outdoor terrace - so, the large apartment.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 AM

One of my relatives had a brownstone and I have to say, it is very nice. Having a backyard in Manhattan alone is pretty cool.

The interior looked very sophisticated, especially the dining room.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There are tasteful security bars that can be placed over the windows on the lower levels of a brownstone, too.
True. And I don't think they'd be particularly easy to climb any higher than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: