Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 AM

6 posts, read 41,464 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to somewhere in Fairfield or Westchester counties in the next few months but haven't yet decided where. I am currently living in Tokyo, which I imagine is vastly different in terms of commutes, among a whole host of other things. In Tokyo a commute into the center of the city means standing shoulder to shoulder (and then some) with a whole lot of strangers for an hour or so... As a result, I live right in the middle of the city and avoid the commute.

When I move I will be commuting into NYC to an office that is very close to Grand Central Station. I have to be in the office by around 7am and would leave about 5.00-5.30pm.

My questions are:

1) During the times I plan to commute can I get a seat on the train or will I have to stand the whole way?
2) How safe are the trains? If I come back late at night should I be worried about falling asleep and getting robbed?
3) How much does it cost for a late night taxi from NYC back to, say, Stamford?
4) If you are not within walking distance of the station are there issues finding a place to leave you car? Is there a monthly rental system or meters, and if so, is it easy to get a parking spot?

If you could help me out with these questions, or provide any additional thoughts/experiences about commuting it would be really appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougscott View Post
I am going to be moving to somewhere in Fairfield or Westchester counties in the next few months but haven't yet decided where. I am currently living in Tokyo, which I imagine is vastly different in terms of commutes, among a whole host of other things. In Tokyo a commute into the center of the city means standing shoulder to shoulder (and then some) with a whole lot of strangers for an hour or so... As a result, I live right in the middle of the city and avoid the commute.

When I move I will be commuting into NYC to an office that is very close to Grand Central Station. I have to be in the office by around 7am and would leave about 5.00-5.30pm.

My questions are:

1) During the times I plan to commute can I get a seat on the train or will I have to stand the whole way?
2) How safe are the trains? If I come back late at night should I be worried about falling asleep and getting robbed?
4) If you are not within walking distance of the station are there issues finding a place to leave you car? Is there a monthly rental system or meters, and if so, is it easy to get a parking spot?

If you could help me out with these questions, or provide any additional thoughts/experiences about commuting it would be really appreciated.

you should be able to get a seat, the MNRR trains are fairly safe, be aware that the last train out is sometime after 1 am. a taxi to stamford would be well over $100, and I cannot comment on parking, in general station parking can be tough to come by

Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
The trains to Stamford are expensive, but they run very frequently. Actually the trains on the line to Stamford are very old and the passengers always complain about them. The trains to White Plains are the newer ones and seem much more comfortable. I think MetroNorth is going to purchase new trains for the Connecticut line in the near future. (here is a pic of the old train: http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/b...h/traincar.jpg, compared to the new Metro North trains: http://www.andrew.merelis.com/08_AUG...20interior.jpg , http://www.andrew.merelis.com/08_AUG...M7%20seats.jpg)

You should not have a problem getting a seat, especially at 7am. Only when trains get delayed/cancelled will you see people standing in the aisles like in Japan.

I think you are referring to the Yamanote Line in Tokyo, we don't have anything like that in the NYC area. If you are on a commute train it will have seats like the Shinkasen. If you are on the subway, then it will just have benches and room to stand like the Yamanote line.

There is a parking garage next to the train station in Stamford, so you should look into that. Don't take a cab up there, it would cost entirely way too much money.

Why Fairfield or Westchester? If you are used to living in Tokyo I think you would be much more happy, or at least accustomed to living in the city (Manhattan or Brooklyn would probably be the best for you). Fairfield and Westchester are both pretty nice, but also very suburban.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
If the number of people in my office who come in at 7 AM are any indication, getting is seat is not assured. Even OFF PEAK from Westchester today, near the beginning of the line, it was hard for us to get a seat.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM

217 posts, read 921,428 times

Maybe. Depends how many other people have your hours. Probably not too many, though. From Tarrytown, the express takes about 35-40 minutes into GCT (Grand Central Terminal).

Crime is virtually non-existent on the Metro-North commuter trains. At the various stations, it's pretty rare, too, rare enough that it's front page news if it happens. The subways are a little bit different, but it all depends where you are.

More than $100, call a car service and it's the same, but less hassle. It would be cheaper and less painful to find a club or a diner and hang out all night. If this is during a weekday, stay over night at the office. Join a health club and use their shower in the morning, etc.

4) If you are not within walking distance of the station are there issues finding a place to leave you car?

Always.

Is there a monthly rental system or meters, and if so, is it easy to get a parking spot?

Most of the stations have monthly parking permits and such.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
White Plains has a pretty good deal for parking if you can't get a monthly permit. They have two garages right next to the train station (one is entirely by permit, the other is mostly permit).

But behind the train station in White Plains the county center has a huge parking lot that they allow commuters to park in. I think its like $5 for the day.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,430 times
Most companies will pay for taxi or limo for their employees who work beyond a certain time, even to the suburbs. Many maintain accounts with car services for this very purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City