Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 01:28 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times

Advertisements

When civil war comes itll be in the form of a race war. Those anti 2a white leftists are going to be in for one hell of a surprise when proof of their black square social media posts dont work as their get out of jail free card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 01:31 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
The virus or vaccine is not the only thing that could cause unrest.
The economy in shambles, extreme unemployment, and a collapse in society and the financial system is what I’m more worried about.
Yes, possible depression, more food lines
I hope it doesn't lead to violence.
The vaccine is giving people hope though

Old 11-22-2020, 02:33 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Costco membership is $60 for the year. While that still may be too much to front for some people suffering from food insecurity, I explicitly mentioned "if you can front the cash up front." And I explicitly mentioned this resource in relation to the rotisserie chicken deal, so I don't know where in the world you come off mentioning bulk items

In any case, the link between what I wrote and food insecurity is clear, though you are now moving the goal post from your original comment to me. And suffering from food insecurity while utilizing food lines does not inherently mean that you cannot afford to buy your own food; it's a matter of degree, thus the cheaper food options you have the better when it comes to living life while being food insecure. You should really stop making up your own definition for food insecurity; I provided the official definition for you.

Damn, some people really do enjoy being contrary for the sake of being contrary.
If they can front the cash up front, they likely already are. Paying any sort of fee to get a "discount" when you are standing on food lines just doesn't make any sense. You go to Aldi's or Trader Joe's where they have cheap prices.

You need to purchase enough at Costco to make the membership worthwhile, which again, doesn't make sense if you are struggling to make ends meet. Every dollar counts.

Apparently, some of the people in food lines now are on them for the first time.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 11-22-2020 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
I have a low income friend who gets $200 a month food stamps. She was divorced and had little skills for a job so works minimum wage in a local grocery store. She is vegetarian and eats well. I give her some occasional produce from our garden so she gets fresh veggies.

In the inner cities, it would wonderful for the city government to set aside spaces for people to grow their own produce. Or, even on top of apartment buildings. I have heard of a few places like this. It gets people connected to the source of their food. And, there is nothing like fresh produc3 from your garden. The taste and nutrition are superior.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
When civil war comes itll be in the form of a race war. Those anti 2a white leftists are going to be in for one hell of a surprise when proof of their black square social media posts dont work as their get out of jail free card.
So whites are taking over and they are going to jail white "traitors" to the Aryan cause ?

Old 11-23-2020, 08:00 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
It's too bad that cities were built only to maximize land profit. Otherwise people would have space to grow their own vegetables at least.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-23-2020, 09:21 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If they can front the cash up front, they likely already are. Paying any sort of fee to get a "discount" when you are standing on food lines just doesn't make any sense. You go to Aldi's or Trader Joe's where they have cheap prices.

You need to purchase enough at Costco to make the membership worthwhile, which again, doesn't make sense if you are struggling to make ends meet. Every dollar counts.

Apparently, some of the people in food lines now are on them for the first time.
Being in a food line doesn't inherently mean that you can't front cash up front That's not what food insecurity means. Again, it's a matter of degree, of not being able to meet all of your food needs.

For those who can't front the cash up front, what I wrote doesn't apply to them and I made that clear from my very first post.

Think of it this way via the following hypo: I am struggling to make ends meet. I can afford to purchase food items, though not to the extent that I want or to keep me whole, which goes to the heart of food insecurity. Due to my situation, however, I would gladly take advantage of food pantries and food lines. But that doesn't mean that I can't front some cash up front (I may not be able to front $60, but I very well may be able to . . . still, as I mentioned, it applies to who it applies to and doesn't apply to those that it doesn't apply to, which has been clear since my first post).

Again, you are pushing your own definition of food insecurity and making assumptions.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 11-23-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 09:23 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's too bad that cities were built only to maximize land profit. Otherwise people would have space to grow their own vegetables at least.
That's an interesting point. In relatively small cities (in a geographical sense) with huge populations, it probably wouldn't make sense to have grow vegetables on a mass scale. At least from a traditional sense. I have seen some new age ways of farming (to include farming indoors) that open up the possibilities for many going forward!

We still have our plot of land in Brookly in the backyard. My father got a honey bee farm there but we haven't grown any veggies yet

Old 11-23-2020, 09:33 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
You sir need to check your white privilege. Those $20/ounce organic, gluten free, grass fed, vegan, diary free almonds ain't gonna milk themselves. Don't you know that it costs money to be able to eat healthy, said no one ever.

We need to stop this "us" vs "you", otherwise, we will be heading for a race war within a few years.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's an interesting point. In relatively small cities (in a geographical sense) with huge populations, it probably wouldn't make sense to have grow vegetables on a mass scale. At least from a traditional sense. I have seen some new age ways of farming (to include farming indoors) that open up the possibilities for many going forward!

We still have our plot of land in Brookly in the backyard. My father got a honey bee farm there but we haven't grown any veggies yet
NYC really needs a green roof initiative. In addition to fresh produce, it actually prolongs the life of the building, with the rooftop garden acting as a barrier between nature's elements and the roof.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City