Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 10:57 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It wasn't always like this. I still remember having to go to school during jr. high in a feet full of snow & transit still working in the middle of an afternoon blizzard. Not blizzard like conditions but during an actual blizzard! This "omg, the snow armageddon is a coming!" is a recent phenomenon. And yeah, I sound like a boomer curmudgeon writing this..."you young whippersnappers, don't know what snow is!" as I wave my cane up in the air. lol.
Yea pretty much. I was in Junior High school for the blizzard of 96. it was the first time they closed schools for snow in something like 20 years. Fast foward a few years and it seems like they were closing it once or twice a year for snow. I dated a teacher for a few years and she got off work any time it snowed a few inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 11:06 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My best friend and I made 40 bucks each during the blizzard of '96. And we were only outside for about 90 minutes. As teenagers, that was big enough money for us for the day. Lol.
My best friend and I stayed out that whole day. I had just started driving so I needed the money bad. We still talk about that storm. Neither of us had ever seen that much money before. My mother made me give it to her to hold. I made like $400. In 1996, to a 17 year old, that was a ton of money!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-14-2020, 12:33 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Man I can't wait, I love the snow. I just hope it doesn't get heavy until early morning Thursday because I have a dinner planned with friends in NJ for Wednesday evening.

I love big storms because every year our sensationalist-media has to create new terms to shock the population when reporting them. Let's see how they eventually top the ridiculous "bomb cyclone".
So far they are saying the heaviest will come overnight. I checked an hour ago and we are forecast to get about 12-18 inches. At first Boston was to get more and so I will update if anything changes. Btw, in case anyone on the thread is wondering where I am getting my weather, I use weather.com and so you might see something different.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:33 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Snow is cool.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
People in NYC are such cry babies about snow. I think I will wait for the snow day to go grocery shopping. Should be empty then because Ny-ers hide from snow like it's the boogie man.
You literally just described me. I got my grocery done already. I don't play lol.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Meh. Growing up I went to elementary school during the start of what became this

Old 12-14-2020, 12:43 PM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Buffalo 77? 78?

Old 12-14-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
A light jacket layered should be fine for this time around. But layer up because you’re not acclimated yet.

This should give you an idea of what to prepare for, even if it only happens once this winter (or not at all). Get a thicker jacket, gloves and some sort of head covering, and keep enough food on hand in case you choose to stay in for a couple of days.
Lol listen...I have already begun wearing a winter coat with layers. I dont play lol. The food thing should be fine. Will be wearing gloves the next few days when outside along with a scarf. It might warm up next week and so let's see.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:58 PM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
Wow I really hope this is happening! The kids have been going on and on about wanting to see lots of snow, and they need all the joy they can get this year. And it'll be a PITA for me as a grownup, but the kid in me is still going "squee, snow day!" Thankfully I'm not traveling for work Thursday, so maybe we'll have time to build a snow fort before it all melts Last time we got this much snow, no one in the family got to enjoy it because I was in the office and the kids were in day care and no one was getting home till after dark...

Old 12-14-2020, 02:12 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Buffalo 77? 78?
Correct...Blizzard of 77.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City