Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 10:44 AM

1,399 posts, read 892,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Yeah them and C Town are terrible I avoid it at all costs. The funny thing is their prices aren't even THAT great. So they rely on poor people in these communities that have more kids than they can afford. Hell even so called expensive areas like Astoria/Williamsburg ton of immigrants and single Mothers using WIC/SNAP at the C-Town then across the street the Affluent hipsters shopping at the organic grocery store.

The class divide in NYC is about to get bigger and more extreme.

You'll have the gig McWage slaves and the Affluent. And a handful of City workers. Not much in-between that.
Leftists love preaching diversity like it's some magic pill but are too stupid to realize their own backyard (nyc in this case) is one of the most segregated places in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 11:42 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,721,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Leftists love preaching diversity like it's some magic pill but are too stupid to realize their own backyard (nyc in this case) is one of the most segregated places in this country.
Why is NYC one of the most segregated places in this country?

Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Why is NYC one of the most segregated places in this country?
Off topic. Start a new thread on this if you want.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Another gross generalization unless you're referring to the 80+ population, but everything on CD is either all or nothing, so meh.

If/when I get the vaccine, I'll probably go back to being a Whole Foods shopper. 15 bucks an hour, flexible schedule and I liked (most of) the people I worked with (all ages). As a shopper, you don't have to deal with the public, so it was win win. I could quit because I had another job (technical writer- engineer level computer skills). A lot of people weren't so lucky and had to stay.
Can you break this down, I'm wondering, trying to understand some of it, the context
what are you doing for work now?
You say "If/when I get the vaccine, I'll probably go back to being a Whole Foods shopper."
So I assume that Whole Foods doesn't require that but you don't want to work there unless you have vaccine protection. Is that right? If the is the two shot version, it's 3-4 weeks for the interval, then a week or two for it to be set, I think
You also say "I could quit because I had another job (technical writer- engineer level computer skills).
What are the prospects of these three things, generally now,
- shopper at Whole Foods
- technical writer
- engineer level computer skills

So right now if someone has the above skills and they want to work how easy is it to find a job right now
in these three fields in NYC, each compared ?
and I assume technical writer is at home work
and engineer level computer skills could be either at home or office
thanks

Old 01-21-2021, 12:03 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If Trump was re-elected (and not impeached) there would be no State bailout for NY or very minimal at best. That would impact NY businesses and jobs.
What is impacting business and jobs was not Trump, but the unnecessary small business closures from Cuomo and DeBlasio.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What is impacting business and jobs was not Trump, but the unnecessary small business closures from Cuomo and DeBlasio.
what other city should New York policy be modeled after?

Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Either you are retired or you are one of those people who can't be retrained to take on a new job in the new economy with your insistence on staying ignorant.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't all be doctors and engineers. High skilled jobs are fine. We have all been working at home, getting out of shape but earning more and spending less because we can't do as much discretionary spending. However, if your job depends on the discretionary spending of others, you are pretty much screwed until Covid is gone.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:25 PM

At this point, am I the only one that thinks it's pretty odd that it would appear to the naked eye, that NYC only makes money off of food and people needing a place to stay for a few nights? Seems rather fickle.

Or at least that's the way people are making it sound?

We went from 29.1 million visitors in 1991 to 65.8 million visitors in 2018. I feel like the city was being pimped.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what other city should New York policy be modeled after?
I would love a response from her on that, but usually people who share similar trains of thought don't answer this question because supposedly they're planning to move there soon and its a "Secret"

Meanwhile it's really somewhere 4.5 hours Upstate with sporadic cell service and septic.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-21-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-21-2021, 01:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
At this point, am I the only one that thinks it's pretty odd that it would appear to the naked eye, that NYC only makes money off of food and people needing a place to stay for a few nights? Seems rather fickle.

Or at least that's the way people are making it sound?

We went from 29.1 million visitors in 1991 to 65.8 million visitors in 2018. I feel like the city was being pimped.
Now that Tourism and tourism Jobs are gone let's see how long we can survive.

Cuomo HAS to legalize both Marijuana and Prostitution to make up for this and make us a destination again.

Shake shack burger flippers and Door Dashers are not going to drive this city forward economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City