Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 01:43 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Can you break this down, I'm wondering, trying to understand some of it, the context
what are you doing for work now?
You say "If/when I get the vaccine, I'll probably go back to being a Whole Foods shopper."
So I assume that Whole Foods doesn't require that but you don't want to work there unless you have vaccine protection. Is that right? If the is the two shot version, it's 3-4 weeks for the interval, then a week or two for it to be set, I think
You also say "I could quit because I had another job (technical writer- engineer level computer skills).
What are the prospects of these three things, generally now,
- shopper at Whole Foods
- technical writer
- engineer level computer skills

So right now if someone has the above skills and they want to work how easy is it to find a job right now
in these three fields in NYC, each compared ?
and I assume technical writer is at home work
and engineer level computer skills could be either at home or office
thanks
You are way over thinking this.

- shopper at Whole Foods - same as before, if not better.
- technical writer - same as before; highly competitive
- engineer level computer skills - same as before; highly competitive

I already said I was working from home pre Covid as a tech writer. I said I might go back to WF because it gets me away from the computer screen and I get exercise at the same time. Timeframe for when I get the vaccine is irrelevant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 01:47 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Now that Tourism and tourism Jobs are gone let's see how long we can survive.

Cuomo HAS to legalize both Marijuana and Prostitution to make up for this and make us a destination again.

Shake shack burger flippers and Door Dashers are not going to drive this city forward economically.

This great majestic city owes its prominence to food, and beds

Literally

I'm almost ashamed and I'm a native.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2021, 01:49 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
So I guess LLs only rent to hospitality staff and restauranteurs

This is crazy

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Either you are retired or you are one of those people who can't be retrained to take on a new job in the new economy with your insistence on staying ignorant.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't all be doctors and engineers. High skilled jobs are fine. We have all been working at home, getting out of shape but earning more and spending less because we can't do as much discretionary spending. However, if your job depends on the discretionary spending of others, you are pretty much screwed until Covid is gone.
True.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:

Cuomo HAS to legalize both Marijuana and Prostitution to make up for this and make us a destination again.

Shake shack burger flippers and Door Dashers are not going to drive this city forward economically.
Hah, good luck with that. You realize that NYC's rebirth was symbiotic with the Disneyfication of Times Square, right? Vice and Criminality are what led to the decay and decline of the 60's/70's are we are back at the front end of that cycle. We have massive middle class flight, emboldened criminals who face no consequences, and a demoralized police force that is not motivated to serve people who disparage them

And it's so oddly similar, the 60's cycle also started with riots and protests and activism. It took us 25 years to learn our lesson, how long will it be this time?

Old 01-21-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I'm not following. Weed I get for tax revenue, but why prostitution? People would move here just to pay for sex ?

Old 01-21-2021, 02:13 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

I already said I was working from home pre Covid as a tech writer. I said I might go back to WF because it gets me away from the computer screen and I get exercise at the same time. Timeframe for when I get the vaccine is irrelevant to me.
I wouldn't answer these questions if I was you. I've had a sneaking suspicion about this poster ever since they appeared.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-21-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wouldn't answer these questions if I was you. I've had a sneaking suspicion about this poster ever since they appeared.
Thanks.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

ok thanks, I thought you might have been waiting to the vaccine before working at WF.
I see the tech sector is stable but highly competitive the same way as it always is.
I was noticing that you can write but at the same time have the high level computer skills
and that's good backup because of computer jobs you could get independent of writing.
I assume that engineering skills could lead to a job higher paying than a writer in some cases
but there is also the factor of what one likes to do and that type of writing is probably more stable and higher paying than other types of writing jobs. I try to keep in mind what skills I could acquire and how marketable they might be. It's interesting how you would not look down on a shopper job. I respect that
There are a lot of people who higher paying work that they are not happy doing

Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Hah, good luck with that. You realize that NYC's rebirth was symbiotic with the Disneyfication of Times Square, right? Vice and Criminality are what led to the decay and decline of the 60's/70's are we are back at the front end of that cycle. We have massive middle class flight, emboldened criminals who face no consequences, and a demoralized police force that is not motivated to serve people who disparage them

And it's so oddly similar, the 60's cycle also started with riots and protests and activism. It took us 25 years to learn our lesson, how long will it be this time?
It's not like before.

People buy drugs and sex online and get it delivered to their apartment/hotel.

No open air markets in 2021. This is not 2003 in Baltimore or the Wire...And I'm no Bunk or McNulty

There are jobs to be had in both industries.

Dispensary employees, Security and transportation for Brothels, Unions can be formed for both.

Still can be hidden from the kids and kept discrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City