Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Too good to be true?
Yes 6 35.29%
No 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 02:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If you know you're going to be somewhere long term, land lease/leasehold can be considerably cheaper than renting, which is what some people may be going for, especially if they have no desire to or cannot afford to buy fee simple properties.
It's a con scheme. You are forfeiting your money for the rights to pay rent (maintenance) and don't actually own anything because the land owner can raze your building at the end of the lease. The only justification is the belief that there's going to be a next sucker (buyer) to give your money back to you when you want to leave ('sell').
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 02:44 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's a con scheme. You are forfeiting your money for the rights to pay rent (maintenance) and don't actually own anything because the land owner can raze your building at the end of the lease. The only justification is the belief that there's going to be a next sucker (buyer) to give your money back to you when you want to leave ('sell').
It works for who it works for and doesn’t for who it doesn’t. Again, some can’t afford to buy (or just may not want to buy) and this option may be cheaper for them than renting. You also don’t own anything with renting, but if I can sign a 20 year leasehold for a unit for $250k in downtown Honolulu in a building where comparable units rent for $1,600 a month, I may very well make out better than renting depending on how much the monthly condo fees add to my mortgage. I’d consider leaseholds under certain circumstances, but not as an alternative to actually buying a unit.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It works for who it works for and doesn’t for who it doesn’t. Again, some can’t afford to buy (or just may not want to buy) and this option may be cheaper for them than renting. You also don’t own anything with renting, but if I can sign a 20 year leasehold for a unit for $250k in downtown Honolulu in a building where comparable units rent for $1,600 a month, I may very well make out better than renting depending on how much the monthly condo fees add to my mortgage. I’d consider leaseholds under certain circumstances, but not as an alternative to actually buying a unit.
All true, also true that to play this game you need to have and risk a substantial chunk of change

Old 01-27-2021, 06:54 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
What does that mean? Building will be foreclosed?
Without knowing anything else (and not clicking on anything), it means it can't be financed.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Look it up on StreetEasy so you can read all of the docs that have been filed. There must be some problems with the building.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Only downside is that awfully high Maintenance.

The major reason for CASH ONLY is that the co-op knows that no bank will give a mortgage on the property and that is usually because there are too few owner occupied apartments. IOt looks like the owners outnumber the renters but by very little.

<First find out how many apartments the sponsor still owns, whether most apartments are rent stabilized rentals, when the land lease runs out, and if the place had been Mitchell Lama.

Of most importance: make sure you are not buying an occupied apartment.

According to StreetEasy, the 340K is very much in line with recent sales.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-01-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-01-2021, 10:07 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
That maintenance, no way. I think that $700 is expensive, no way would I pay $1200~.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City