Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 06:14 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

Sam the Eagle is at it again.....

This time he and his bleeding heart liberal progressive democrats are pushing to ban gas connections for new construction. They want to wrap this up before primaries and have things buckled down before this eegit mayor leaves office at end of year.

https://therealdeal.com/2021/01/29/n...-construction/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 07:59 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
They started already, I see a lot of new bldgs being built with no gas connection in the kitchen.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2021, 08:01 PM

615 posts, read 448,935 times
They always preached natural gas was the clean alternative, as opposed to oil and coal.
Moving the goalposts again, as usual.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:02 PM

Is this for heating the building, or cooking?

I read the article, but maybe too fast.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:04 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
They always preached natural gas was the clean alternative, as opposed to oil and coal.
Moving the goalposts again, as usual.
The problem is not the gas, its the pipes, hoses and valves that can fail, the premise is electric stoves will eliminate illegal connections which cna lead to explosions.

I will admit when there is a problem with gas and you live in a building, it just doesn't affect 1 apartment, it affects the whole line, and its a big job that takes several months to repair, then and inspect by the city.

On the contrary, I've never cooked on an electric range.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They started already, I see a lot of new bldgs being built with no gas connection in the kitchen.
Lot of that came in aftermath of those two huge gas explosions (one in Spanish Harlem, and other in East Village), that exposed the huge extent of people tampering with gas meters. After that event it took ages to even get ConEd or whoever to sign off on a simple replacement of gas water heater, boiler, clothes dryer....

Lots of developers to speed up their buildings just went with all electric for apartments because it was simple and fast. Boilers OTOH are either oil and likely have a gas connection, but latter could wait because heat and hot water could be generated by oil only if necessary.

Back on topic BdeB and his *Green* agenda seeks to punish landlords by forcing new construction (especially multi family) to find their preferred la-di-da methods of "green" heating that don't involve oil or gas. Such systems are expensive to design, install and run, but of course that doesn't befront Sam the Eagle and his followers. We saw how fast city under BdeB cracked down on developers installing electric PTAC heating by framing it as a "green" issue.

NYC developers should take a page from Europe; install individual gas or electric heat and hot water in individual apartments. Let tenants be responsible for their own utilities period.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The problem is not the gas, its the pipes, hoses and valves that can fail, the premise is electric stoves will eliminate illegal connections which cna lead to explosions.

I will admit when there is a problem with gas and you live in a building, it just doesn't affect 1 apartment, it affects the whole line, and its a big job that takes several months to repair, then and inspect by the city.

On the contrary, I've never cooked on an electric range.
Have done it in Europe, once you get used to it electric cooking isn't so bad.

Most new places in Europe now have induction "burners" for cooking with electric ovens. However keep in mind few places in Europe have huge natural gas supplies. This is why so much is electric over there, that they do have (hydro, nuclear, gas, etc... generated).

Where you do see gas often there is a tank somewhere. This freaks many Americans out who are either only used to gas piped gas or tanks that are located outside.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:25 PM

74 posts, read 39,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have done it in Europe, once you get used to it electric cooking isn't so bad.

Most new places in Europe now have induction "burners" for cooking with electric ovens. However keep in mind few places in Europe have huge natural gas supplies. This is why so much is electric over there, that they do have (hydro, nuclear, gas, etc... generated).

Where you do see gas often there is a tank somewhere. This freaks many Americans out who are either only used to gas piped gas or tanks that are located outside.
As a person who knows Europe well and who loves to cook, electric cooking BLOWS! NO WAY is it comparable to gas stove. I am also familiar with induction and sorry, but you simply cannot make certain dishes (such as paella) on induction or electric and expect quality. That's just an example, but I have many others. Yes, there is a lot of vitro stoves over there, but the people really into cooking all want gas (ideally open wood fire of course, but that's another matter altogether!). The next best thing is gas.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:25 PM

Oh, so it's about cooking. I can def support that. Like you said, old gas pipes, valves and stuff get old and cause huge problems for everyone.

In my apartment complex, everyone has electric stoves, no gas cooking at all. It does take some getting used to, compared to cooking with gas, but then it becomes normal.

I think it's a good idea. It's def safer, in lots of ways...old pipes etc, to people stupidly setting the place on fire from misusing the gas stove and cooktop.

I even think the cooking equipment should be changed out, free of charge to tenants. But do old buildings have the capacity to add 40 amps per apartment for the electric cookers?

Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Oh, so it's about cooking. I can def support that. Like you said, old gas pipes, valves and stuff get old and cause huge problems for everyone.

In my apartment complex, everyone has electric stoves, no gas cooking at all. It does take some getting used to, compared to cooking with gas, but then it becomes normal.

I think it's a good idea. It's def safer, in lots of ways...old pipes etc, to people stupidly setting the place on fire from misusing the gas stove and cooktop.

I even think the cooking equipment should be changed out, free of charge to tenants. But do old buildings have the capacity to add 40 amps per apartment for the electric cookers?
Can't be done in rent regulated buildings or anywhere else easily I'm afraid. If lease spells out that gas is included in rent then it's baked into cake as a service LL must provide. If removed that counts as reduction in service so rent would be subject to decrease.

Then you have the whole issue with sub-metering.....

Manhattan Park Sub Metering Complaints Heat Up & Grow | Roosevelt Island Daily Newspaper

Landlord on Roosevelt Island tried to switch tenants over to electric heat. State put the kibosh on that scheme very quickly. https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/n...5electric.html

The above shows how fast this is going to come back and bite certain tenants in the behind. But by that time Sam the Eagle and eegits on city council who voted for this stupid idea will be long gone.

Juice ain't cheap in NYC, so LL's are going to try and pass along any higher costs for whatever methods of heat and domestic hot water city forces them into onto residents. Off the bat this likely means everything inside an apartment will be electric. Not so bad for people who don't cook much or at all, but for those that do..... Also developers may look at using more of PTAC despite whatever hit that gets them from city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City