Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 12:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times

Advertisements

..After reading my reply...perhaps I'm just getting old and crabby. So I just asked my son ..who received a modest amount of govt $ to pay for CDL training...via military service. He felt two bullet wounds from our adversaries in trashcanistan earned him the 5K for training to drive tractor trailers. And this new admin. wants to give $$$ to bail out student loans that were voluntary on the person's part?......sure...not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 12:48 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
He more than earned it!!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-07-2021, 12:50 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
..After reading my reply...perhaps I'm just getting old and crabby. So I just asked my son ..who received a modest amount of govt $ to pay for CDL training...via military service. He felt two bullet wounds from our adversaries in trashcanistan earned him the 5K for training to drive tractor trailers. And this new admin. wants to give $$$ to bail out student loans that were voluntary on the person's part?......sure...not.
It costs like $500 to get your cdl...

Old 03-07-2021, 03:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
You don't need a college degree. Elon Musk has said he doesn't care about your piece of paper. You have to show your actual capability. We have too many do nothing MBAs.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:37 PM

147 posts, read 60,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't need a college degree. Elon Musk has said he doesn't care about your piece of paper. You have to show your actual capability. We have too many do nothing MBAs.
Yet Elon mostly hires engineers with college degrees.

It certainly appears that he was very much fixated on completing his own education. In 1990, Musk entered Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. Two years later, he transferred to the University of Pennsylvania; he graduated in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in economics from the Wharton School and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in physics.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:46 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Just what we need , bail out more poor choices and bad decisions on tax payer money . I want my school money back too , plus all my kids money back

Old 03-07-2021, 05:56 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
Default ..$500...really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
It costs like $500 to get your cdl...
I will assume you have a vast knowledge of CDL's...but at the risk of boring you: A typical VA APPROVED CDL driver training program that really is worth it..runs $4-6K. IF...if you sign on with a trucking company..they will cover some to all of the cost..with a contract committing you to them for 1-3 years. Leave early...pay what they paid for the course..but I am sure you knew all that.....not.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:24 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Loan forgiveness mostly helps well off people. I paid off my loans of 10k about 20years ago. Anybody care to do the math assuming 7% gains per year? Once that check clears I'll be all for helping mostly priveledged white and asian liberals in their quest for student loan forgiveness.
lol I knew you'd find a way to throw in the liberal spiel. It's true though. If you ever shop at the Whole Foods in Union Square (I used to but stopped - too crowded), you'd always see the NYU types. They're "broke college students", but they're shopping in Whole Foods.

When I was in college, I paid most of my expenses out of my own pocket (not mommy and daddy). Even when I lived in Europe finishing my studies, yes, I traveled extensively, but eating was generally on the cheap - occasionally I treated myself to a nice restaurant, but you see how these college kids live today and they wonder why they're in crazy debt. My loans are pretty low. Only about $25,000 left. Paid off two private loans already. The other two are federal loans at a consolidate low interest rate. Something like 2%.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:56 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol I knew you'd find a way to throw in the liberal spiel. It's true though. If you ever shop at the Whole Foods in Union Square (I used to but stopped - too crowded), you'd always see the NYU types. They're "broke college students", but they're shopping in Whole Foods.

When I was in college, I paid most of my expenses out of my own pocket (not mommy and daddy). Even when I lived in Europe finishing my studies, yes, I traveled extensively, but eating was generally on the cheap - occasionally I treated myself to a nice restaurant, but you see how these college kids live today and they wonder why they're in crazy debt. My loans are pretty low. Only about $25,000 left. Paid off two private loans already. The other two are federal loans at a consolidate low interest rate. Something like 2%.
Yah when I was poor I ate bagels (3 for $1) and bananas and apples.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I will assume you have a vast knowledge of CDL's...but at the risk of boring you: A typical VA APPROVED CDL driver training program that really is worth it..runs $4-6K. IF...if you sign on with a trucking company..they will cover some to all of the cost..with a contract committing you to them for 1-3 years. Leave early...pay what they paid for the course..but I am sure you knew all that.....not.

I've had my cdl going on 21 years and my godson got his about a year or two ago so I've kept up with the times. If your son drove heavy machinery in the military there is a waiver he could apply for. There is a high chance that the type of program that your son is apart of is a scam. Be weary of "free" 4-6k training that promise employment from a nice long contract that most likely sucks. If your son "makes it" he'll get one hell of an introduction to the game that is known as freight. Not trying to pick a fight just trying to educate you, but like you said yourself....wtf do i know, right? Thousands of dollars to learn how to back up a 53ft trailer in an automatic tractor. Swindled to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City