Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 11:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Is it harder to meet people now if I move here?
It depends absolutely and positively on where you are coming from, state, city, suburb or rural and what place or places you want meeting people in New York be compared to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 11:56 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I've been reading around and someone made the point that due to the pandemic, people are less willing to meet strangers and that for someone new to the city, it would be difficult to make friends, given the restrictions on bars/restaurants/masks. Is there any merit to this? Up until I heard this I was fully committed to moving, but am now having second thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
As of today, it's harder. I would expect that to change pretty rapidly over the course of the summer. ~30% of the adult population has already gotten at least one dose of the vaccine, and basically every adult is eligible for it now. On a warm day you can feel the party atmosphere in the younger neighborhoods starting to charge up.
I second what Randomperson2 said. Right now people are still scared to come out but u will see changes come summer. I am seeing a lot of socializing still occurring online and some have been vocal about meeting in person soon. Some are doing a mixture. The trsins are getting back to where they used to be but nobody stsnding up like sardines yet. Everywhere I go in the City things are popping.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:58 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
You will meet many like minded people. But they won’t be friends as in a classic definition of a friend. Level of friendship that’s normal in other countries, is foreign in America. Even more so with introduction of social media and demise of privacy.
Thank you! I say the same thing. Most friends here are not "friends" abroad. Real friendship here is pretty rare in my experience.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:54 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
"There is a revolving door aspect to NYC and almost any other city that attracts a lot of transplants, and that's maybe the worst part of it though some people do stay."

Yeah, but it's nothing like, e.g., DC.

True friends are rare anywhere. And it gets harder to meet people as you get older. But 32 is still relatively young for NYC. A lot of professionals get married around that time.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:11 PM

596 posts, read 252,445 times
isnt that a contradiction

married ppl dont stay in city or have less "friends" to go clubbing binge drinking with

Old 04-04-2021, 02:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
In New York meeting new people in common public areas is not common.

Yet meeting people in a class, a place of worship, business networking events, a cultural event, gyms, clubs under non-pandemic conditions there is a wide diversity of places and of all ethnicities and lifestyles to meet people.

So if you want to meet people who have a big toe fetish or do ballroom dancing or like to dress up as babies
or are a bible study group
It's all here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: