Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:03 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times

Advertisements

So the other day I attempted to use a tram and u guesses it, no OMNY. For all this talk about OMNY being everywhere, I am constantly being asked to pay for a metro card and btw, I didnt get a transfer because obviously I used OMNY for the train and so I had to come out of pocket. This happens fairly often in Brooklyn too to the point I stopped going because hated having to touch that disgusting machine for a regular metro card.

So far I would say 95 per cent plus still use a combination of metro card and change. This is in the Bronx btw. I am literally the only person in my entire ride at ti mes that uses OMNY. I might see one fellow young person use their phone but most use the old metro card.

I see this taking at least five years to even gain traction. Not really getting the point of OMNY, especially when people can't put monthly fares on them and such yet. It seems they put somethjng out without planning for it. Am I the only one who thinks they didn't think this through?

The other day I was expected to pay for a bus ride whwn OMNY wouldnt work. I was like uhh...no, Im paying with OmMY and do not have any other money. I was like...is this bus driver seriously getting upset because he expects me to use the old way when the new way is what is suppose to be ushered in?! Lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 12:04 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
OMNY will be the only way to pay by 2023
I still use a Metrocard, but once they phase those out, people will be using OMNY

Old 04-09-2021, 12:40 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
feels to big brother

just give me the LA TAP card

Old 04-09-2021, 04:59 AM

644 posts, read 307,141 times
Of course it's not taking off now, why bother changing anything when you have a perfectly good MetroCard and don't have to hand MTA your credit card info? But AFAIK, MetroCards are getting phased out eventually, and this will be the only option.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 AM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times
What if you don’t have a phone ? How do you pay for subway.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:40 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Won't there also be an option of a tap card with a smart chip in it?!

Old 04-09-2021, 06:17 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
There's been a million threads on this already.

If you don't have a smartphone or smart watch, you can get a refillable tap card that works just the same. It's the same as a Metrocard, except you don't swipe it, you just tap.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:36 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
So the other day I attempted to use a tram and u guesses it, no OMNY. For all this talk about OMNY being everywhere, I am constantly being asked to pay for a metro card and btw, I didnt get a transfer because obviously I used OMNY for the train and so I had to come out of pocket. This happens fairly often in Brooklyn too to the point I stopped going because hated having to touch that disgusting machine for a regular metro card.

So far I would say 95 per cent plus still use a combination of metro card and change. This is in the Bronx btw. I am literally the only person in my entire ride at ti mes that uses OMNY. I might see one fellow young person use their phone but most use the old metro card.

I see this taking at least five years to even gain traction. Not really getting the point of OMNY, especially when people can't put monthly fares on them and such yet. It seems they put somethjng out without planning for it. Am I the only one who thinks they didn't think this through?

The other day I was expected to pay for a bus ride whwn OMNY wouldnt work. I was like uhh...no, Im paying with OmMY and do not have any other money. I was like...is this bus driver seriously getting upset because he expects me to use the old way when the new way is what is suppose to be ushered in?! Lmao.
OMNY is available on all MTA buses and trains. The tram is not part of MTA. It sounds like you don't know how to tap and go. I can't imagine the OMNY readers being broken everywhere. I have used them just fine for the most part. Occasionally a reader is broken, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Of course it's not taking off now, why bother changing anything when you have a perfectly good MetroCard and don't have to hand MTA your credit card info? But AFAIK, MetroCards are getting phased out eventually, and this will be the only option.
The Metrocard is not perfectly good. It's obsolete tech that should've been phased out years ago. Do you use a 30 year old computer at home? I don't know when the Metrocard came out, but it's been around for over 20 years now for sure, and as a result, there are limitations on what riders can and cannot do.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Won't there also be an option of a tap card with a smart chip in it?!
There will be an OMNY card released later for people that want to just refill it and use it. That is why the Metrocard is still around, as they are moving to phase out the Metrocard. Can't phase it the old payment system until the new payment system is fully implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

If you don't have a smartphone or smart watch, you can get a refillable tap card that works just the same. It's the same as a Metrocard, except you don't swipe it, you just tap.
Thank you!! It amazes me how ignorant New Yorkers are regarding transportation, and most people in here use it and act like it's such a foreign concept. Contactless payment is all over the place. Wake up people and get with it!! You can pay just about everywhere with your phone or a contactless debit or credit card. I do it all the time now. OMNY is pretty much the same thing.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:12 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

Have those OMNY cards been introduced yet, how do you get them, and how do you refill them (I could look for that online but am lazy, since regular Metrocards still work :-)? I don't want to pull the phone out in public out of the concern of being mugged for it.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:48 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Have those OMNY cards been introduced yet, how do you get them, and how do you refill them (I could look for that online but am lazy, since regular Metrocards still work :-)? I don't want to pull the phone out in public out of the concern of being mugged for it.
https://omny.info

Read the info. It's all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: