Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:26 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times

Advertisements

I use my Chase debit card on the express bus. I linked the debit card to my OMNY account for my convenience, but you don't have to. I only used my initials and a fake phone# on the omny account, and a secondary gmail address. I wouldn't take a credit/debit card out in the subway with all the skells running loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Is OMNY going to die?-onmy_trips1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:28 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I use my Chase debit card on the express bus. I linked the debit card to my OMNY account for my convenience, but you don't have to. I only used my initials and a fake phone# on the omny account, and a secondary gmail address. I wouldn't take a credit/debit card out in the subway with all the skells running loose.
If you take a Metrocard out in the subway, there's really no difference. People take a card out to buy Metrocards down in the subway every day, and have now for many years just fine. You can easily slide your debit or credit card out and position it with your hand to use the OMNY reader without having your card information shown. In fact I recently got a card that is contactless that has the card info on the back of the card.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:41 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post

So, let me clarify. You can link a credit card (I don't own a debit card due to theft concerns) to an OMNY account, and pay for a ride on the express bus with a credit card? Can you just use a contactless credit card without linking it to anything - ie, will the OMNY reader just read it like any other credit card reader?

I don't care if my credit card is stolen/abused, it has happened before, and the bank that issued the card cancelled the unauthorized charges, closed the card, and FedExed me a new card within 24 hours. In fact, I carry the credit card in easily accessible places, hoping that would be all a skell would take if he/she finds it easy enough to take.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, let me clarify. You can link a credit card (I don't own a debit card due to theft concerns) to an OMNY account, and pay for a ride on the express bus with a credit card? Can you just use a contactless credit card without linking it to anything - ie, will the OMNY reader just read it like any other credit card reader?
YES, that is what he is saying!! It must be a contactless card though, not just a card with the chip in it, or it won't work. For a supposed "world traveler", seems like you need to get out more.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
YES, that is what he is saying!! It must be a contactless card though, not just a card with the chip in it, or it won't work. For a supposed "world traveler", seems like you need to get out more.

Good. Just wanted to confirm. Your other sentence is your usual BS :-). I was traveling the world decades before you were born, in the time of travelers' cheques, and I usually don't change what I have always done, unless the method becomes extinct (the way the Metrocard evidently will be - the only reason why I'd be interested in using OMNY at all). Also, I believe you know that I have living choices other than crime-infested NYC during a pandemic, so I would not have had exposure to the most recent NYC subway innovations.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-09-2021 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 02:15 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Good. Just wanted to confirm. Your other sentence is your usual BS :-). I was traveling the world decades before you were born, in the time of travelers' cheques, and I usually don't change what I have always done, unless the method becomes extinct (the way the Metrocard evidently will be - the only reason why I'd be interested in using OMNY at all). Also, I believe you know that I have living choices other than crime-infested NYC during a pandemic, so I would not have had exposure to the most recent NYC subway innovations.

I see. I guess your travels being decades ago explains why you don't seem to have kept up with what's a pretty common system throughout much of the world now. Good clarification!

Old 04-09-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but if you've been traveling as long as you claim, you would know that contactless payments has been a thing outside of the U.S. for years now. It's the U.S. that is playing catchup. Seems like you have some catching up to do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see. I guess your travels being decades ago explains why you don't seem to have kept up with what's a pretty common system throughout much of the world now. Good clarification!
Exactly! LOL

Old 04-09-2021, 03:07 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
For chrissakes, when I first moved to Philadelphia in 2014, they were still using tokens! Yes, tokens! In 2016 they transitioned to this kind of contactless system just fine. If Philadelphia can do it after still using tokens in the 2010s, New York can do it too. Why is it so scary for you guys? Pretty much every other major city with a subway has this kind of system. New York shouldn't be any different just because a couple old folks can't figure out how to tap a piece of plastic.

It's a pain in the a** that they still don't have an unlimited option for OMNY yet. Why that wasn't ready to go when the system launched is beyond me.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Sorry, but if you've been traveling as long as you claim, you would know that contactless payments has been a thing outside of the U.S. for years now. It's the U.S. that is playing catchup. Seems like you have some catching up to do as well.

Exactly! LOL

Well, I do not have or have used a contactless credit card, which has not been a problem anywhere abroad (the card does have a chip and a code). The card is coming up for renewal, and the next one will be contactless.

I generally pay everything that can be paid online from the US, so my purchases abroad tend to be very minor - usually nothing other than city transportation, food, and a couple of souvenir t-shirts. Most of that I tend to pay with cash.

I just wonder about people on this forum whose lives must be truly so limited and miserable that they can't even believe anybody else ever does anything that isn't miserable :-).

Btw, my most recent travel abroad was to Southeast Asia in the fall of 2019, so not in the previous century. The credit card with a chip worked normally.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Well, I do not have or have used a contactless credit card, which has not been a problem anywhere abroad (the card does have a chip and a code). The card is coming up for renewal, and the next one will be contactless.

I generally pay everything that can be paid online from the US, so my purchases abroad tend to be very minor - usually nothing other than city transportation, food, and a couple of souvenir t-shirts. Most of that I tend to pay with cash.

I just wonder about people on this forum whose lives must be truly so limited and miserable that they can't even believe anybody else ever does anything that isn't miserable :-).
For someone with so much traveling experience, your knowledge of such matters such as these is rather limited. I've traveled extensively and have lived abroad and am much younger than you are, and "somehow" I knew how common contactless payments are abroad, but you don't. Strange... I guess that's what happens when you're so busy trying to make assumptions about other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: