Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 05:57 AM

72 posts, read 23,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
good move. For first time in months, need to go to office 2 days just this week. Dreading it, even though it will not involve walking NYC streets much at all. Remote again after.

This is a return to the 1980s style of NYC crime. Horrible.
The City has always been the 1980s city in your imagination, it's never changed for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 06:18 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydadwasamarine View Post
The City has always been the 1980s city in your imagination, it's never changed for you.
Interesting point. It is entirely possible that people have always harbored a certain image of the city. Those people, for the most part, are not natives. I hate to bring up the natives vs. transplants thing, but it really does make a difference. Anybody that's lived here for over 30 years I feel really is not sweating anything. Just your humble MoD's opinion.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-09-2021, 06:44 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
The woman and child that were shot were from Rhode Island, shopping for toys. Great contribution to de Blasio's multimillion tourism advertising campaign.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:49 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Interesting point. It is entirely possible that people have always harbored a certain image of the city. Those people, for the most part, are not natives. I hate to bring up the natives vs. transplants thing, but it really does make a difference. Anybody that's lived here for over 30 years I feel really is not sweating anything. Just your humble MoD's opinion.
I am here since birth …

I tend to avoid the nasty areas as much as I can except for a short stint when I was working on rockaway ave near pitkin ave ..that area was awful ..the precinct down the block covered just one square mile .

Crime stats have always been transparent to our lives ..no matter what they were we still had the same stolen cars or radios stolen over the decades .

Except for one altercation I already mentioned at ally pond park the crime stats have never been an issue .

We have done a few photo shoots in the south Bronx , Harlem and a few other areas more recently and all were just fine for us but they are much better then they were in the 1970s

Old 05-09-2021, 07:36 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydadwasamarine View Post
Wrong. The Rudy/MB years were quite safe.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I am here since birth …

I tend to avoid the nasty areas as much as I can except for a short stint when I was working on rockaway ave near pitkin ave ..that area was awful ..the precinct down the block covered just one square mile .

Crime stats have always been transparent to our lives ..no matter what they were we still had the same stolen cars or radios stolen over the decades .

Except for one altercation I already mentioned at ally pond park the crime stats have never been an issue .

We have done a few photo shoots in the south Bronx , Harlem and a few other areas more recently and all were just fine for us but they are much better then they were in the 1970s
What I find is that if you live here long enough, your travels eventually take you all around the city in some capacity. Especially if you work here. So that's why I really don't worry about it. If people were really scared to go places we wouldnt get mail delivered or garbage picked up.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:19 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
In my experience, people from outside metro NY love NYC, it's folks on LI and NJ who think the city is like it was in 1982.

Having said that, to act like we're not on a bad path is foolish.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Right because four year olds were getting shot every day in Midtown.
This is a rare incident, show me where its happening every day

Sensationialist much

Old 05-09-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
How often area you there to know this? Do you work/live in the area?

People on the board go to an area once and a blue moon and act like there know it. OR used to be in the area years ago so now they are experts on it.
I go there for work sometimes, I haven't had to though since Covid. Midtown was crappy even before Covid.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
In my experience, people from outside metro NY love NYC, it's folks on LI and NJ who think the city is like it was in 1982.

Having said that, to act like we're not on a bad path is foolish.
Have you changed any of your outside habits, since we're on a "bad path?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City