Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 03:21 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Interesting point. It is entirely possible that people have always harbored a certain image of the city. Those people, for the most part, are not natives. I hate to bring up the natives vs. transplants thing, but it really does make a difference. Anybody that's lived here for over 30 years I feel really is not sweating anything. Just your humble MoD's opinion.
Yeah, very true.

It's like my dad's image of New York City was always the 1970s "bronx is burning" images, and the city's overall downfall in the 1980s. He never shook those images of the city and always thought of NYC as "a dangerous place." Many on this board who are anti-NYC do the same.

New York is a huge city, and people cite one or two shootings-usually be mentally ill people--as a sky is falling moment.

Some folks don't understand or enjoy cities, and never will. That's why you have the city and the country. Folks have a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 03:24 PM

926 posts, read 416,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

What I worry about with Adams is whether or not he'll be on this black this people of color that road and if it'll be another Dinkins, where we see the City more divided and falling apart.
That's exactly the vibe I get from him.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:26 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Yup. He doesn’t care about the shootings until he’s out campaigning.

At Times Square a few hours later, Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, criticized Yang’s response to violence when it struck close to home.
“You know what, Andrew? These shootings have been happening blocks from my house for years and blocks from the houses of poorer New Yorkers for years,” said Adams, a former NYPD captain. “It is time for us to recognize it when it is in every square block of our city,” he said. “Shame on you for not realizing that.”

Old 05-09-2021, 03:26 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Where was Batman and the Naked Cowboy when you really needed them ?

Old 05-09-2021, 03:27 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Yup. He doesn’t care about the shootings until he’s out campaigning.

At Times Square a few hours later, Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, criticized Yang’s response to violence when it struck close to home.
“You know what, Andrew? These shootings have been happening blocks from my house for years and blocks from the houses of poorer New Yorkers for years,” said Adams, a former NYPD captain. “It is time for us to recognize it when it is in every square block of our city,” he said. “Shame on you for not realizing that.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyd...outputType=amp

This just shows how he is.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:29 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Where was Batman and the Naked Cowboy when you really needed them ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TaqifjbVus

Old 05-09-2021, 03:42 PM

Suspect Farrakhan Muhammad

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/times-...other-sources/

Times Square shooter was allegedly aiming for his brother, sources reveal

Farrakhan Muhammad, a 31-year-old CD peddler, was identified as the alleged shooter

“I’m his brother,” replied the man, who was not involved in the stabbing but said he lived at the SRO, according to sources.

The man then told officers that his brother had been aiming for him during the Times Square shooting, sources said.

The suspect has been busted before, including last year for allegedly assaulting a random passerby who tried to intervene when Muhammad started hassling a couple on the street, sources said.

Muhammad allegedly pushed the good Samaritan into a trash can before the suspect’s buddy punched the victim in the face, sources said.

Early Sunday, officers with a canine unit were photographed by The Post pulling clothes matching what the suspect had been wearing at the time of the shooting from a trash can on the corner of 10th Avenue and 42nd Street.

Wendy Magrinat of Rhode Island spoke about her harrowing ordeal to The Post on Sunday, adding that the bullet from Saturday’s horror is still in her leg.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/times-...other-sources/

Old 05-09-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
IMO the best part is that the mother of the 4 year old, is 16. Which means she was 12 when she gave birth. Wow. Which one was toy shopping?!

https://nypost.com/2021/05/09/4-year...uare-shooting/
aunt, not mother

Victims:

1) Skye Martinez, 4 years old, shot in foot

Danae Romero, 16, aunt of Skye Martinez, not shot

2) Wendy Magrinat, 23 (RI) , shot in leg

3) Marcela Aldana, New Jersey (NJ) 43, shot in leg

caliber of gun 25

Old 05-09-2021, 04:36 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're still in danger if you're in the vicinity regardless, thats the dynamic. People are concerned about their safety in the street.
it's disingenuous to contrast the two considering that they originate from different sources and require a different set solutions in order to prevent them from occurring.

All danger isn't created or viewed equally. There's danger that people can expect to avoid (thugs shooting it out) by simply not being in a place where it occurs most and there's danger that exists, but is rare enough to feel relatively safe in the fact that it probably won't happen.

I think this shooting sort of reinforces people's perception that the city is less safe today than it was a few years ago. I don't think a lot of people feel that way about random terrorist attacks. They're so far and few inbetween that most people probably don't consider it before going to a place like times square. However, this shooting alone could change that whole perception. I read an owner of a restaurant who said that he saw more than 60 reservations cancelled at his restaurant because of this.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:45 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
it's disingenuous to contrast the two considering that they originate from different sources and require a different set solutions in order to prevent them from occurring.

All danger isn't created or viewed equally. There's danger that people can expect to avoid (thugs shooting it out) by simply not being in a place where it occurs most and there's danger that exists, but is rare enough to feel relatively safe in the fact that it probably won't happen.

I think this shooting sort of reinforces people's perception that the city is less safe today than it was a few years ago. I don't think a lot of people feel that way about random terrorist attacks. They're so far and few inbetween that most people probably don't consider it before going to a place like times square. However, this shooting alone could change that whole perception. I read an owner of a restaurant who said that he saw more than 60 reservations cancelled at his restaurant because of this.
Faux percerption IMO

If its so bad here why are people from Rhode Island in town

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City