Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 362 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide between starting a lease in July vs. August. Ideally would shoot for August since it's closer to when I have to go back to the office, but wondering how different the rental markets will be in terms of pricing / supply.

Would appreciate any thoughts from folks. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 09:14 AM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablerone15 View Post
Trying to decide between starting a lease in July vs. August. Ideally would shoot for August since it's closer to when I have to go back to the office, but wondering how different the rental markets will be in terms of pricing / supply.

Generally speaking isn't the conventional wisdom that August would be higher because people move after the end of a school year and before the beginning of a new one?

Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:

Prices are generally highest during the warmer months, from about March until September or so. After that, there's less inventory, but prices can tend to decrease because there isn't as much demand. July and August are the hottest months in NYC, so you couldn't pay me to want to move then.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:54 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times
Quote:

July would probably be better, a lot of offices will be reopening in September and kids back to in-person school, so I think August will see a mad rush of activity.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:56 AM

173 posts, read 147,247 times
Agreed with most of the sentiment here. For offices going back this year, it seems September, after Labor Day, will be the start for many folks. That means a lot of people returning to NYC over the summer

Old 05-13-2021, 04:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
No one knows what's going now.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Many govt agencies and businesses have issued notice to return to office. August will be a crunch because you are competing with people who need to move prior to the start of the school year and returning workers.

Plus the city is issuing free money for gov't programs like candies. They are paying 2 years rent, lease signing bonus and bonuses to realtors who place these folks.

With the additional funds that Biden is sending you will have competition. Start looking.

I have noticed the price of apartments have started creeping back up also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City