Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 03:57 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, no one disagreed with these things. One problem is that you can't keep track of what's actually being said. You were going on about various groups of people from some cultures that do well for themselves--these are parts of learned personal, familial, and community behavior.

My point is and continues to be that it is difficult to have these learned behaviors in communities where generations after generations of anything of the sort had been forcibly destroyed things like not even being allowed to be married and then couples and children forcibly separated for generations upon generations

. It may take a while for large portions of a community to recover from that as these basic habits are often learned and conditioned traits passed from family and community members.

Yes, a lottery apartment is support. Some of us can't qualify for lottery apartments anywhere unless they start doing 200% AMI in Carnegie Hill or something like that in which case uh, sure. Your version of living it up like a queen is fine. It's just that to some people, it'd probably appear pretty small and limited. Probably also pretty lonely.

What law prevents people from getting married or tells family that they can't live together?

In the year of our lord where you can find ANYTHING on the internet none of these excuses are valid. People need to want better for themselves. Enough people don't.

The average American has no clue about real true struggles, poverty, oppression.
In 1930s to the 1950s and later (not that long ago )Jewish people were pariahs in American society.

The united states refused an entire ship that docked in Florida of 900 jewish refugees fleeing nazi persecution. The ship returned to Europe and many died in concentration camps.

From 1942 to 1946 the U.S government rounded up Japanese American citizens and placed them in concentration camps.

The 1940s was not that long ago. These were actual laws. These 2 groups sucked it up, banded together and are now some of the most successful groups.

We have to stop making excuses. Opportunities are there and free will allows us to utilize these resources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 04:03 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
What law prevents people from getting married or tells family that they can't live together?

In the year of our lord where you can find ANYTHING on the internet none of these excuses are valid. People need to want better for themselves. Enough people don't.

The average American has no clue about real true struggles, poverty, oppression.
In 1930s to the 1950s and later (not that long ago )Jewish people were pariahs in American society.

The united states refused an entire ship that docked in Florida of 900 jewish refugees fleeing nazi persecution. The ship returned to Europe and many died in concentration camps.

From 1942 to 1946 the U.S government rounded up Japanese American citizens and placed them in concentration camps.

The 1940s was not that long ago. These were actual laws. These 2 groups sucked it up, banded together and are now some of the most successful groups.

We have to stop making excuses. Opportunities are there and free will allows us to utilize these resources

I was talking about generations upon generations of slavery conditions where marriage was often disallowed and families were forcibly torn apart as opposed to the poor immigrants who come here with generations of familial and community customs and practices intact. Jewish people even with cataclysmic events still didn't have several generations of having their families and communities torn apart where there is little memory of what those could be. Japanese Americans never had that either despite the internment camps. Even the Chinese who come here and endured the Great Famine and Cultural Revolution didn't have that. These are cultural endowments that have been resilient and have been worked upon and adapted for very long time periods and over many generations. I think there's a reasonable argument that these do make a difference.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yea, there's that. I think that can also apply to larger abstract values or goals that can bring a community together. However, for a lot of the same peoples that went through generations upon generations of forced destruction of family and community groups under slavery, there was also later destruction of community groups and churches that they did form in the aftermath which probably didn't help much. Church burning was pretty rampant as was the targeting of community leaders. The good thing is that even with that a large number of people and their families were able to pull themselves, so it does seem to eventually get better.

I am black. We have to stop using slavery as an excuse to not want better for ourselves. We need to be more motivated, disciplined, proud of ourselves, and take the initiative to improve our station in life.

There are enough black people that we can even exclusively do business with ourselves and build wealth and a better community this way. So that entire 'the man is holding us down' wouldn't even apply.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I am black. We have to stop using slavery as an excuse to not want better for ourselves. We need to be more motivated, disciplined, proud of ourselves, and take the initiative to improve our station in life.

There are enough black people that we can even exclusively do business with ourselves and build wealth and a better community this way. So that entire 'the man is holding us down' wouldn't even apply.

Initiative is great, and it's why there even is a black middle class at all. However, this doesn't change what the starting conditions are and it's why I think comparisons to immigrant groups on a larger demographic level need to be with the understanding of what happened. These are learned behaviors and they can be undone, but part of that can be in the context of understanding why certain detrimental learned behaviors still prevail and why some helpful ones do not.

I think it is possible for there to be an easy internal trade protectionism of sorts and that is helpful. Part of what makes that a bit more difficult to maintain is that there's not the strong endemic language and religious differences which create that bubble, so you're going to have to proselytize pretty hard to keep maintaining that. I say this earnestly, good luck on that and hope you success.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
Quote:
I was talking about generations upon generations of slavery conditions where marriage was often disallowed and families were forcibly torn apart as opposed to the poor immigrants who come here with generations of familial and community customs and practices intact. Jewish people even with cataclysmic events still didn't have several generations of having their families and communities torn apart where there is little memory of what those could be. Japanese Americans never had that either despite the internment camps. Even the Chinese who come here and endured the Great Famine and Cultural Revolution didn't have that. These are cultural endowments that have been resilient and have been worked upon and adapted for very long time periods and over many generations. I think there's a reasonable argument that these do make a difference.
You're making quite the arguement that black fathers leaving their families is genetic. Congrats.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
You're making quite the arguement that black fathers leaving their families is genetic. Congrats.

Do you not know what genetic means? Am I supposed to congratulate you on illiteracy?

Old 06-15-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Initiative is great, and it's why there even is a black middle class at all. However, this doesn't change what the starting conditions are and it's why I think comparisons to immigrant groups on a larger demographic level need to be with the understanding of what happened. These are learned behaviors and they can be undone, but part of that can be in the context of understanding why certain detrimental learned behaviors still prevail and why some helpful ones do not.

I think it is possible for there to be an easy internal trade protectionism of sorts and that is helpful. Part of what makes that a bit more difficult to maintain is that there's not the strong endemic language and religious differences which create that bubble, so you're going to have to proselytize pretty hard to keep maintaining that. I say this earnestly, good luck on that and hope you success.

The fact that many argue so passionately to support the theory of why we aren't great and not HOW CAN WE IMPROVE OUR STATION IN LIFE is exactly why some of us are stuck in such a rut year after year, generation after generation

Old 06-15-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The fact that many argue so passionately to support the theory of why we aren't great and not HOW CAN WE IMPROVE OUR STATION IN LIFE is exactly why some of us are stuck in such a rut year after year, generation after generation

Yea, I agree that can be true to some extent when talking about as a means to do nothing but continue as before. I think where it works better is if it's done as understanding the context of where certain practices form and going against those practices because of that.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:52 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Whatever they did for twenty plus years worked. That can be said about a lot of things in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How do you clean them out exactly, lock them up? The same facility thats designed to detain someone for committing a crime is also equipped to treat addiction? I highly doubt it. Otherwise they wouldnt be outside addicted in the first place

Old 06-15-2021, 06:55 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Whatever they did for twenty plus years worked. That can be said about a lot of things in NYC.
Worked how? I've been riding the trains for about 30 years now and the only difference is the lack of graffiti, and less trains coming out of service (at least for me on the A). All other problems persist.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City