Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 01:23 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times

Advertisements

The truly affluent usually have central AC in NYC, not unless the apartment is too old to support it. However, keep in mind that a lot of the housing stock in NYC is protected, so you can't always go by the outside. Some places look ordinary on the outside, but are absolutely mind blowing on the inside. A lot of those town houses on the Upper East Side come to mind, and those lofts in Tribeca, and they are not cheap either.

Then there are the affluent that don't care or live in a really old house from say the 1920s worth millions, so there is different types of affluent. I know someone who lives in a penthouse in the Upper East Side, with maid service, etc. They would freeze every year because they were too cheap to fix the insulation issue. You have those types too that have money but are very frugal, and these people have several properties in other states, so they are not hurting for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 01:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 937,356 times
On reason is it is NYC. Many give it a OUT
- for trash bags out for longer periods on streets even if they leak....
- accept a higher level of grittiness and lower degree of full upgrading of old-stock housing when gentrified.
- a city with price-controls that effect up-grades until the lower-priced units are well.... guess sold and higher rents gain more up-grading.

What I noticed in one major city is the level of FULL renovations in gentrification etc is MUCH HIGHER and where a FULL exterior restoration generally part of it + inside. A city with no Price-controls restricting things over years and years.... clearly may effect things.

Even older skyscrapers and live in ones can be fully restored when repurposed to residential inside and out. Old Tenement elevator buildings may keep their full exterior grit in NYC .... as cost of living there soared. Old strorefronts that could clearly be restored do not.Yes cost are far from cheap and what in other cities will be called gentrified with a FULL RESTORING of its classic housing stock practically demanded...... if you want to get the price.

NYC gets a out for things other cities would not. Demand still was there to not do as much full upgrades perhaps? Other cities it seemed gentrification means full restorations with the most modern amenities far more expected and standard then as those renting and paying HOA's will expect it once rents are that high.

All just opinion as a outsider simpleton.

To me as a visitor/tourist to a city. I notice if Old repurposed buildings or even old always residential ones if in a highly desirable area to being gentrified.... some cities you see ALL GRIT REMOVED in CLEANINGS, brink and exterior architectural features fully restored and of course upgrades inside to demand the higher rents are expected and the norm.

Not having upgrades as a neighboring building without a HUGE demand no matter what..... means one will sell/rent quickly and one might get sales ONLY if rents are lower enough to gain it. Still you go into blocks fully renewed it a REAL Gentrified area and does not generally have the GRIT left intact.

I for one LOVE FULL RESTORATIONS. Original details again in a cleaned-up original glory. I am NOT A FAN of even just doing some upgrades inside of these old-stock multi-residential buildings and not restoring exteriors cause..... demand is there no matter what as it was for decades in NYC.

IT'S NEW YOOOORK.... FAGHETABOUTIT. You might more then any other city.... settle for small, more cramped, low degree of up-grades or amenities added cause.... it is NYC... so the other aspects of being there outweigh it for some.... but outsiders sometime wonder why WE DO NOT SEE THAT DISNEY-ESQUE NYC of the Movies many times.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Great Thread.

Why was I paying close to $5K a month and having to use a portable heater to heat my room and why was my bathroom the size of a closet ?

I want my money back !

because you wanted to be fancy. As someone said, there is a sucker born every day lol.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:58 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Historical preservation societies or landmark status that ties the hands of developers. Yet another scam by the city to jack up contractor rates. This is why there have been suspicious fires of derelict buildings in the LES and Chinatown. The building is declared a total loss and they can swoop in to build.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:46 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
What do you mean by affluent? Couples making close to half a million are not affluent in NYC. Billionaires in NYC don't put up with the issues you mention.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
What do you mean by affluent? Couples making close to half a million are not affluent in NYC. Billionaires in NYC don't put up with the issues you mention.
Making close to half a mill is affluent. NYC is expensive but bringing in $500K/yr is affluent for all intents and purposes.

Pointing to the mega rich doesn't mean anything. They're beyond affluent.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:04 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Making close to half a mill is affluent. NYC is expensive but bringing in $500K/yr is affluent for all intents and purposes.

Pointing to the mega rich doesn't mean anything. They're beyond affluent.
500k after tax ain't all that although way above average

Old 07-06-2021, 09:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
What would you call the 98th percentile?

Our perception is skewed because all the news talks about is Bezos, Musk, and other billionaires.

Making more than 98% of households is affluent.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:29 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Funny, and what is your salary to say that isn't affluent? That's several times the median family income in NYC.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:34 PM

962 posts, read 938,026 times
Just to say they live in ny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: