Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 04:58 AM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I lived on Austin st in Kew Gardens on a 6th floor for 3 years.
You kinda get used to it. After a while it doesn’t bother you. Being able to walk to a station in under 5 min was great.

And I did sell the apparent for a very healthy profit.

Forest hills isn’t as good as it used to be. Look around.
Forest Hills is a great neighborhood. Some people can get used to the sound (by learning to ignore it) and some don't. The OP has to decide which category s/he fits and act accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 08:12 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I've lived in LGA flight path; on Burns St in Forest Hills; and near Broadway/7th Ave line in the Bronx. Have to say after a while the noises didn't bother me. You pace your phone conversations with the level of noise and pause the TV if it's really bad.

You'll be able to sell the apt when you want to change.

The location is fantastic. Between the LIRR and the subway lines, you can get anywhere pretty quickly. If the wind is right, you can faintly hear the concerts from Forest Hills Stadium.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,832 times
I live 5 minutes from JFK. Literally don't even notice planes make noise anymore. You learn to live with it.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 1,567 times
Thank you for all the advice!

I did visit the apartment today and I really liked it. I will say the noise is the only potential issue for me now.

Assuming the window is shut, I realized the noise is way less noticeable if the AC is on. I downloaded an app on my phone beforehand, and purposely wait for trains to pass by to test the sound level. I found the loudest moment is around 62 dB, which is almost the same sound level of an AC. That explains why it's less noticeable when AC is on.

I am doing some researches on the web and found some techniques that can improve window soundproofing! I will do more search on that as it might just fix all my concerns if I can lower the sound level to be around 45dB!

Also thank you for bringing up the resale value issue. I checked the resale history, it seems like this building's units usually have no problem with reselling even though it might take a bit longer...

Anyway, thank you for all the input! They are all very valuable

Old 07-19-2021, 06:26 AM

1,057 posts, read 542,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchikwong View Post
Thank you for all the advice!

I did visit the apartment today and I really liked it. I will say the noise is the only potential issue for me now.

Assuming the window is shut, I realized the noise is way less noticeable if the AC is on. I downloaded an app on my phone beforehand, and purposely wait for trains to pass by to test the sound level. I found the loudest moment is around 62 dB, which is almost the same sound level of an AC. That explains why it's less noticeable when AC is on.

I am doing some researches on the web and found some techniques that can improve window soundproofing! I will do more search on that as it might just fix all my concerns if I can lower the sound level to be around 45dB!

Also thank you for bringing up the resale value issue. I checked the resale history, it seems like this building's units usually have no problem with reselling even though it might take a bit longer...

Anyway, thank you for all the input! They are all very valuable
I've heard of some people using this company for soundproof windows. https://citiquiet.com/

Old 07-19-2021, 06:37 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
The LIRR is electrified so there is no diesel noise or smell. If you feel that train noise will bother you at night, Mac's ear stoppers will eliminate any noise. Below is a video shot from the front end of a LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station. Not very much noise especially since the tracks are welded together eliminating the clicking caused by jointed rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwyHoXFb60

Old 07-19-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I've heard of some people using this company for soundproof windows. https://citiquiet.com/
Thanks!
It seems like a perfect solution for me.
The price point is a bit too high for me... [$3500 x2 windows], but at least I know what's the last option I have if all other lighter solutions don't work out
I will dive deeper to see what else I can do, thanks for the suggestion

Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The LIRR is electrified so there is no diesel noise or smell. If you feel that train noise will bother you at night, Mac's ear stoppers will eliminate any noise. Below is a video shot from the front end of a LIRR train from Jamaica to Penn Station. Not very much noise especially since the tracks are welded together eliminating the clicking caused by jointed rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwyHoXFb60
True, when a train was not stopping, it actually just sounds like the wind [maybe a little louder than that]
So mostly, I am just trying to fix the train track sound, which is more noticeable when the train is slowing down
Thank you for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City