Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 12:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 447,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
New York Times has written about the issue as one between rich white residents and diverse visitors:

"The battle over Washington Square Park comes at the tail end of a pandemic that altered social interactions and blurred the lines between nightlife and public space. Eschewing indoor clubs even after the city started reopening in April, people have flooded the park in the evenings, drinking inexpensive — and illegal — homemade cocktails packed in plastic bottles called nutcrackers.

The two groups — the residents and the visitors — are often divided by race, class and age. Many of the complaining residents are white, while the young people who visit the park are a diverse group from outside the neighborhood, attracted to the gritty glamour of the scene but also the notable absence — until recently — of police. In the parks where they live, some said, they are stopped and searched often.

Edith Molina, 19, came down from the Bronx. “This is the park you come to chill out,” she said. “In the Bronx, you have gang violence, and police run you out of parks. Here, police don’t do anything.

"Setha Low, director of the Public Space Research Group at the Graduate Center at CUNY, said noise control measures in public space are often directed at young people of color.

“Is it really just about noise? What is it about really?” Ms. Low said. [...]

Ringed by expensive private homes and New York University, Washington Square Park has long exuded bourgeois-bohemian, rough-around-the-edges charm — a place where you could buy soft drugs and also attend a protest, where art students in fashionable clothes shared the same space as big-bellied rats."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/n...rk-police.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
You think this hardly known website "Nytimes" represents any significant media presence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That professor caught us. The NYPD actually does have a decibel meter that filters out noise created by white people.
Interesting enough these same people never cared to do this pre COVID/George Floyd. Once they realized that they can break the rules, they started doing this. I'm shocked. It's almost as if when rules aren't enforced, they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 01:26 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Interesting enough these same people never cared to do this pre COVID/George Floyd. Once they realized that they can break the rules, they started doing this. I'm shocked. It's almost as if when rules aren't enforced, they don't exist.
Who'da thought huh?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-23-2021, 01:33 PM

2,448 posts, read 1,223,349 times
Here is the NYT inventing a term "white Hispanic". Is the NYT main stream enough for you guys?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/u...-shooting.html

Old 07-23-2021, 02:53 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Isn't NYT behind a paywall? So you mean to tell me you guys are basically paying to read stuff that you don't agree with?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2021, 04:51 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
The first five articles are free, I think. I could be wrong about the number.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:07 PM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
The first five articles are free, I think. I could be wrong about the number.
Not sure about the number either. I just click and these articles turn up! Would never never pay for this.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:10 PM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Isn't NYT behind a paywall? So you mean to tell me you guys are basically paying to read stuff that you don't agree with?
Nope. These are free to read articles.

And it's not that I disagree with many of their articles, it's that they don't label their articles correctly. Many of their opinion pieces are printed in the news sections. If they can't determine the difference between opinion and news, . . .

Old 07-23-2021, 06:12 PM

I think the point was the show that the media is biased, not to highlight our regular media sources...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-23-2021, 06:21 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
I'm not discounting any of what you guys say. I'm just wondering you guys keep partaking of these media outlets when clearly you don't agree with how they report. I don't read the NY Times; ever since it was in print I've always found it inconvenient to read because of the size.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2021, 06:31 PM

But that wasn't the point.

I don't have to be in the Army (anymore) to know that they just left Afghanistan. I don't have to drive a Ferrari to know they're made in Italy. I don't have to be training to be an astronaut to know that Jeff Bezos just flew to space.

I don't have to read the NY Times to know that they regularly stoke racial discord.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City