Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 02:54 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

I agree. I know some tenants just can't pay their rent right now but I suspect some tenants are definitely taking advantage. I feel for the landlords too. They're not running a charity. How long is this eviction moratorium going to go on?

They're are jobs out there. I see signs hanging from restaurants while on my daily treks saying they're hiring. Everything from cooks, waiters, busboys, etc. The one thing they don't have a shortage of are bartenders! lol. They're coming to work.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Lincoln Eccles owns a building in Crown Heights.

He has 14 tenants and nine of them owe him tens of thousands of dollars in back rent. He can't evict them because of the state eviction moratorium. New York's eviction moratorium is set to expire on Aug. 31.

But a new ruling by the United States Supreme Court gives him hope. A new ruling blocks part of New York state’s eviction moratorium. It says renters can no longer avoid eviction simply by submitting a hardship declaration. Both sides encourage people to apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 09:07 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Can someone please explain this to me, because I haven't read anything about the accompanying problem.

A short moratorium on evictions might have been nice when we were told that covid would suddenly disappear like magic in a few months, a year ago. But unless someone (i.e. someone governmental) works out a deal with landlords, this is crazy. I have little sympathy for LLs in most circumstances, but they can't indefinitely support non-paying tenants - and tenants who lost work will never, ever, be able to catch up.

What should have been done - maybe it has, but I haven't heard anything along those lines - was some mutual deal worked out where, just to invent some numbers, LLs were required to take a 40% cut in exchange for a tax break, and tenants were required to pay at least 30% on time.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:04 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
A good decision by the Supreme Court, but it didn't go far enough to stop this government-sanctioned theft against LLs. As mentioned in this thread, there are so many jobs out there that are not getting filled. And many of the tenants complaining now were the recipients of very generous and beefed up government unemployment benefits. You can't give people all of that "free" money--many were making out better than they did when employed--and then also have an eviction moratorium.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:53 AM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
A good decision by the Supreme Court, but it didn't go far enough to stop this government-sanctioned theft against LLs. As mentioned in this thread, there are so many jobs out there that are not getting filled. And many of the tenants complaining now were the recipients of very generous and beefed up government unemployment benefits. You can't give people all of that "free" money--many were making out better than they did when employed--and then also have an eviction moratorium.
So the government tricked people into not working? Lol. Truth be told those people who stayed home never really wanted to work to begin with. All it took was the extra $300. Let me see if all these LLs paid their bills on time before pandemic, i'd better not even see one 60 day notice.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So the government tricked people into not working? Lol. Truth be told those people who stayed home never really wanted to work to begin with. All it took was the extra $300. Let me see if all these LLs paid their bills on time before pandemic, i'd better not even see one 60 day notice.
No trickery involved. People just did the simple math and made decisions on their own.
Quote:
A new analysis by Peter Ganong, Pascal Noel and Joseph Vavra, economists at the University of Chicago, uses government data from 2019 to estimate that 68 percent of unemployed workers who can receive benefits are eligible for payments that are greater than their lost earnings. They also found that the estimated median replacement rate — the share of a worker’s original weekly salary that is being replaced by unemployment benefits — is 134 percent, or more than one-third above their original wage. A substantial minority of those workers, particularly in low-wage professions like food service and janitorial work, may end up receiving more than 150 percent of their previous weekly salary.2
An extra $300 a week on top of the normal unemployment benefit.

Source: Many Americans Are Getting More Money From Unemployment Than They Were From Their Jobs https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...om-their-jobs/

Regardless of whether people wanted to work or not, the bottom line is that they generally were working before the wave of COVID layoffs happened. And even though most of them are still working/back in the workforce now, there is a sizable number still out. Regardless of why they are still out, the point is that the generous unemployment benefits were meant to make as many people whole as possible due to pandemic layoffs. If you were getting paid more on beefed up unemployment benefits than you were at your normal job--and, again, these beefed up benefits were meant to make as many people whole as possible due to COVID layoffs--the argument is that you should have still been paying your rent. You shouldn't be tens of thousands behind in rent if this applies to you.

Nobody disputes that many people--whether laid off due to COVID or whether they chose to stay home out of fear of catching the unknown--didn't have much of a choice in their unemployment initially. But we aren't at the initial point and the economy in this country has overwhelmingly reopened, yet many jobs that were previously filled remain unfilled today.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
No trickery involved. People just did the simple math and made decisions on their own.

An extra $300 a week on top of the normal unemployment benefit.

Source: Many Americans Are Getting More Money From Unemployment Than They Were From Their Jobs https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...om-their-jobs/

Regardless of whether people wanted to work or not, the bottom line is that they generally were working before the wave of COVID layoffs happened. And even though most of them are still working/back in the workforce now, there is a sizable number still out. Regardless of why they are still out, the point is that the generous unemployment benefits were meant to make as many people whole as possible due to pandemic layoffs. If you were getting paid more on beefed up unemployment benefits than you were at your normal job--and, again, these beefed up benefits were meant to make as many people whole as possible due to COVID layoffs--the argument is that you should have still been paying your rent. You shouldn't be tens of thousands behind in rent if this applies to you.
Me using the word "trick" was a figure of speech. Gotta word my responses more carefully amongst you Internet types.

How many times are we going to bring up the fact that there are irresponsible people on both sides? Like I said, the LL shoudn't even have a mortgage on the property. That's like I buy a car with 3 other people and the 3 people lose their job, so they can't afford their portion of the car note. Irresponsible on both sides. On one side people don't want to pay, other side, people who should have never even bought. Save me with the drivel.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Me using the word "trick" was a figure of speech. Gotta word my responses more carefully amongst you Internet types.

How many times are we going to bring up the fact that there are irresponsible people on both sides? Like I said, the LL shoudn't even have a mortgage on the property. That's like I buy a car with 3 other people and the 3 people lose their job, so they can't afford their portion of the car note. Irresponsible on both sides. On one side people don't want to pay, other side, people who should have never even bought. Save me with the drivel.
Hardly like the example you made. Many LLs can afford to continue paying their mortgages. And for those who rely on tenants to pay the mortgage, at least until the old and constitutional order, they'd be able to evict and--if not able to re-rent--thus would have fewer overhead costs as they don't have freeloaders staying in the property causing expensive wear and tear.

Another difference is that it's not LLs trying to get out of a binding contractual obligation or upend the Constitution. No, government is going out of its way to support tenants--and deny LLs constitutional protections--at the expense of LLs. And, again, these aren't tenants who didn't have the means to continue paying rent as a general matter. As has been evidenced, these tenants were well taken care of by beefed up government unemployment benefits. There is zero reason why they should be that behind in rent.

If my tenant in Honolulu stopped paying rent and I couldn't evict him due to the moratorium, I could still afford my monthly mortgage. But that's besides the point.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Hardly like the example you made. Many LLs can afford to continue paying their mortgages. And for those who rely on tenants to pay the mortgage, at least until the old and constitutional order, they'd be able to evict and--if not able to re-rent--thus would have fewer overhead costs as they don't have freeloaders staying in the property causing expensive wear and tear.

Another difference is that it's not LLs trying to get out of a binding contractual obligation or upend the Constitution. No, government is going out of its way to support tenants--and deny LLs constitutional protections--at the expense of LLs. And, again, these aren't tenants who didn't have the means to continue paying rent as a general matter. As has been evidenced, these tenants were well taken care of by beefed up government unemployment benefits. There is zero reason why they should be that behind in rent.
Have you ever underwent eviction proceedings as a LL in NYS? I mean, it's nice to have a stance on these things, it shows you have "character," but I've seen a few L&T cases with stipulations lasting longer than the pandemic itself.

When does the moratorium officially end?

Old 08-15-2021, 07:31 AM

1,035 posts, read 673,999 times
Quote:

Perhaps most LLs didn't factor in the unexpected eviction moratoriums when they took the risk of renting out their properties. Just like with most things, the pandemic changed the equation. Maybe it's some retirees who paid their properties off and have been renting them out for retirement supplemental income. Can't assume that everyone is irresponsible. The US economy is based on inherent risk that people take to start businesses.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Have you ever underwent eviction proceedings as a LL in NYS? I mean, it's nice to have a stance on these things, it shows you have "character," but I've seen a few L&T cases with stipulations lasting longer than the pandemic itself.

When does the moratorium officially end?
I haven't, but I know people who have. One of my good friends is also a tenant-side attorney for legal aid services in Harlem and deals with these things a lot. Some do have stipulations that can last a while, but others don't. The problem here is that LLs can't even initiate eviction proceedings for failure to pay rent (and the prohibitions are even broader in some places).

As for when the moratorium officially ends, as of now it's 31AUG. But, like the recent effort to extend the US moratorium, the NY moratorium has been extended as well. And no one seriously believes that it won't get extended again. Heck, Hochul and NY Dems have already blasted this recent Supreme Court opinion and pledged to address it. We are already well past a year with this moratorium. When is it going to end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: