Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 04:49 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Light "beer" is not beer. PERIOD!!!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 04:55 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Beer snobs for the win.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:09 PM

I'm a huge beer snob, unabashed.

I home brewed for a long time. Studied brewing, distilling and beer history in college as a major. I've been to hundreds of breweries and brew pubs all over the world. Beer was my thing for a long time.

Looking back it seems like such a short period of time, but in reality it wasn't. I didn't have kids until my mid 30's, but I started my career young. Rather than party and pay high rent, I used my disposable cash to explore my hobbies. Throughout my 20's that mostly mean beer, hunting and fishing.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-26-2021, 05:16 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It is indeed... I haven't drank that one in a while to be honest. I'm due for some. Last time I was in Whole Foods, I was checking out the alcohol (beer) area and the prices made me jump. The imports keep creeping up. You're better off buying the individual ones. The Bowery location used to have a sizable beer section previously (it was essentially where that dumb coffee part is now). I used to go there a few times a month. Not nearly as large or interesting of a selection now.

There's another decent spot on the Upper East on 86th, but their prices aren't the best, nor do they have much that is actually cold, so that was a turn off for me.

True, not true, not true and true.
You know whats another good one I havent had in a while? Delerium, with the elephant

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-26-2021, 05:26 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

I home brewed for a long time. Studied brewing, distilling and beer history in college as a major. I've been to hundreds of breweries and brew pubs all over the world. Beer was my thing for a long time.

Looking back it seems like such a short period of time, but in reality it wasn't. I didn't have kids until my mid 30's, but I started my career young. Rather than party and pay high rent, I used my disposable cash to explore my hobbies. Throughout my 20's that mostly mean beer, hunting and fishing.
I actually love several “respectable” beers, but won’t mention them here to prevent a potential suds attack .

Old 08-27-2021, 10:40 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Why would we need them to be in grocery stores? I like that if I go into a liquor store there will be a knowledgeable sales clerk.

First, I don't think you should be focusing on whether you personally imagine drinking problems on the UES. If you really want to make that case, go do comparative research on cities that allow alcohol in supermarkets and those that don't, and look at everything associated with alcohol, such as DUIs.

Second, if you view this as government interference, you're going to have a hard time in life. Do you object to government interference in food safety laws, too? Do you consider it interference with your freedom of movement that there are government standards on traffic signals?

Third, I don't understand how any thinking adult today would still imagine that the free market solves everything.
Great- nobody is telling you not to go to a liquor store if that's your preference.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:20 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You know whats another good one I havent had in a while? Delerium, with the elephant
Yeah, Delirium Tremens to be exact... I've had that. I think it's alright (not a bad beer at all) and then I bought it again ironically at a place that had a mediocre selection, and it's a good beer.

There used be a Belgian place in Chelsea that had a sizable Belgian beer menu when I wanted good beer while dining out. Carried stuff like Corsendonk... It was called Markt... Closed some years back... There are some others that I have had a few times that have rave reviews that I just did not find impressive... That being Orval (will have to buy it again - I was just wasn't feeling it the times I've drank it), Westmalle (feels a bit heavy for me) and another one I can't remember at the moment. One that is a bit skunky for a lack of a better term is Tripel Karmeliet, but for some reason, I wouldn't be against having it again. lol

To be clear, I am a huge Duvel fan. The original Duvel is near and dear to me. There are more complex ales, but that beer I have traveled around the City to get. Years ago when Duvel Green first came to the US, I went looking for places that carried it and finally had it at The Ginger Man.

However, I do find that sometimes the batches are not consistent. Sometimes I am blown away buy Duvel and other times it's just ok. I guess because some of these beers are made by monks in small batches that could explain the variations (Duvel is not to my knowledge, but Rochefort definitely is), but there are a bunch of others I need to give another try. I know I already mentioned St. Bernadus, but also Scaldis... OMG What a selection they carry... They have a number of options, but I think "Scaldis Refermentée" is just amazing...

https://www.dubuisson.com/us/our-bee...e-description/

I have not had it in years, but it has stuck with me. I believe I bought it down at the Whole Foods on the Lower East Side. Some of these I admit are not the easiest to find, so you have to look a bit, but it's NYC. You'll eventually find some place that has it.

Full disclosure... Most of these all pretty strong as in high alcohol content, but I'm sure you already know that.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-27-2021 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-28-2021, 11:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Because I couldn't legally buy my own. She smoked, I smoked- she picked them up and problem solved.

Exactly, though the PA law was 18 at the time, locally they enforced 21 as it was both a tourist and college town.
When I was in Pennsylvania (my home state) 12 year olds could buy cigarettes, Beer could be distributed in caseloads or by the keg to your house, but wine and liquor could only be bought at awful state stores.
I left PA in 1970, never to look back, when I got my MBA.
I am sure things have changed, but horrible memories keep me from ever going back.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Nice to read.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:52 PM

I don't drink much beer anymore, but I still greatly enough my occasional locals. Today I'm enjoying some Dogfishead 60 Minute.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: