Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 08:53 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,318,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Not saying whites don't fare beat but just due the demographics of who uses the MTA more (especially after COVID with many more whites WFH), they know where the problem lies and that's why it's been hands off.
Plenty of whites farebeat and are on some are in the videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 09:59 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,911,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Just have cops PERMANENTLY stationed in every subway station doing patrols would be good. It will also crack down on the number of thieves and crazy bums who do things like spit and push passengers onto the tracks.

have transit cops actually do their jobs... like hello?!?!

Old 04-28-2022, 11:07 PM

1,052 posts, read 454,329 times
To be 'fair,' I find the $2.75 fare is wayyy too high given the absolutely atrocious level of service present across the MTA system. No exaggeration, the MTA is the most poorly run organization on planet earth. Not even considering the rampant crime and lawlessness, but the general unreliability of the system, the constant signal problems, the filth everywhere. And then when you think about it, the "Unlimited" options don't even give you ANY savings whatsoever. In fact, unless you swipe 12 times a week or more (very few people), it costs MORE to buy unlimited. In every other city I've been to, there is a price incentive to buy unlimited because it comes out cheaper than pay per ride. Not so with the stupid, horrendous MTA.

I had hoped with OMNY they'd introduce maybe a pay per distance system like London uses, but nope. NYC still living like its 1904.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:25 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,267,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Plenty of whites farebeat and are on some are in the videos.
"Plenty" doesn't mean anything. Demographically, the system has a much higher utilization rate by non whites/non Asians. It's just math.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
To be 'fair,' I find the $2.75 fare is wayyy too high given the absolutely atrocious level of service present across the MTA system. No exaggeration, the MTA is the most poorly run organization on planet earth. Not even considering the rampant crime and lawlessness, but the general unreliability of the system, the constant signal problems, the filth everywhere. And then when you think about it, the "Unlimited" options don't even give you ANY savings whatsoever. In fact, unless you swipe 12 times a week or more (very few people), it costs MORE to buy unlimited. In every other city I've been to, there is a price incentive to buy unlimited because it comes out cheaper than pay per ride. Not so with the stupid, horrendous MTA.

I had hoped with OMNY they'd introduce maybe a pay per distance system like London uses, but nope. NYC still living like its 1904.
That's because the MTA has long ago ceases to be a public transit organization.

It's a (extremely low productivity) jobs program with lots of theft and corruption to boot.

Old 04-30-2022, 04:21 AM

16,150 posts, read 6,892,845 times
Above the top police brutality?
How should a police officer react to a crime?
How should a police officer react to non compliance and threatening police?

Get real .
He may have paid his fare but committed a crime
by opening the emergency door for fare beaters..........

Don't blame the driver in the getaway car for robbing the bank you say ?
Blame only the bank robber who actually held up the bank you say ?

Silly people....
Ignorance of the Law is no Excuse..........

Old 04-30-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
"Plenty" doesn't mean anything. Demographically, the system has a much higher utilization rate by non whites/non Asians. It's just math.
The point is people of all backgrounds and income levels are farebeating, but you are trying to make it sound as if it's just an issue with Blacks and Hispanics. We can put the pieces together by who you don't mention, but nice try. Yes, people that are generally low income tend to use public transit more, but plenty of people of higher income levels don't pay.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:52 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,272 times
Quote:
The point is people of all backgrounds and income levels are farebeating, but you are trying to make it sound as if it's just an issue with Blacks and Hispanics. We can put the pieces together by who you don't mention, but nice try. Yes, people that are generally low income tend to use public transit more, but plenty of people of higher income levels don't pay.

Only in the woke dreams of progressives. It's a mostly POC crime with the tacit approval of woke losers like our last mayor, the City Council, 4 out of 5 of the District Attorneys. Another reason for middle-class riders to avoid the subway system, Work From Home and order in a nice hot pizza for lunch.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The point is that this problem has been allowed to fester and this type of behavior to continue precisely because most of the perpetrators are "people of color". The same thing happens with motorbikes in NYC. Same with reckless driving in NYC. If these issues were mainly a white/asian problem, they would've been squashed long ago. I don't think this is even a controversial take anymore since it's so obvious.

Do you understand how foolish you sound? "plenty of people of higher income levels don't pay". This doesn't even make any sense.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Only in the woke dreams of progressives. It's a mostly POC crime with the tacit approval of woke losers like our last mayor, the City Council, 4 out of 5 of the District Attorneys. Another reason for middle-class riders to avoid the subway system, Work From Home and order in a nice hot pizza for lunch.
When is the last time you even used the subway?

Quote:
The point is that this problem has been allowed to fester and this type of behavior to continue precisely because most of the perpetrators are "people of color". The same thing happens with motorbikes in NYC. Same with reckless driving in NYC. If these issues were mainly a white/asian problem, they would've been squashed long ago. I don't think this is even a controversial take anymore since it's so obvious.

Do you understand how foolish you sound? "plenty of people of higher income levels don't pay". This doesn't even make any sense.
There are a few problems here. #1, the excuse that people are farebeating because they are poor, which is not true because there is a program for people if they are poor to pay less for their fare. Yes the problem has been allowed to fester in part because of the woke/progressives making excuses. I do agree that there needs to be a crackdown.

#2, yes, the majority of the people farebeating tend to be Black and Hispanic, but I have been in White neighborhoods using the subway and have seen White teens hop the turnstile. There is also video I believe on NY1 or Good Day NY of White females (and other groups) walking through the gate. Do you see LOTS of Whites doing this? I would say no. The issue I have with Escani is you act as if the ONLY people that do things like farebeat is Black and Hispanic as if Whites are the just the perfect citizens, and you have a habit of doing this crap. I'm White and I'm a Republican. What disgusts me with people like you is you present these things as a way to attack minorities as if Whites are superior. Everyone bleeds the same color.

Take the venom, prejudice and ignorance out of your posts and then we can have a discussion. Unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City