Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 10:49 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times

Advertisements

Anyone else noticing this?

I took the express bus to Queens on Saturday and twice cops jumped on asking for tickets. One kid got taken off. Today I was on the A going downtown a guy got on and literally 5 cops jumped in and tazzed the dude. He jumped the turnstile and was trying to resist by jumping between cars.

On Reddit people are talking about it and sharing videos. Seems MTA has had enough.

https://mirror.fro.wtf/reddit/post/3218989

He was tough until he got tazzed. Then he cried like a ***** lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 11:13 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Yep. About two weeks ago, I was walking down the stairs to get to the subway at the Main St, Flushing station when I saw people that were ahead of me take a pause, turn around and head back up. I was like, oh great, the subway must be down but just to make sure I walked down the stairs and that's when I saw 4-5 cops and 3 MTA transit workers in formation on the platform right in front of the turnstiles. lol. They were a sight. Which means all those people that turned around to head back up the steps were probably all set to jump the turnstile.

The cops and the mta workers have been there ever since.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:23 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

I took the express bus to Queens on Saturday and twice cops jumped on asking for tickets. One kid got taken off. Today I was on the A going downtown a guy got on and literally 5 cops jumped in and tazzed the dude. He jumped the turnstile and was trying to resist by jumping between cars.

On Reddit people are talking about it and sharing videos. Seems MTA has had enough.

Took "Q" downtown yesterday evening and some tall young white guy just straddled over turnstile, his legs were just that long.... Not a MTA worker or NYPD in sight....

Oh and the GD candy sellers and panhandlers are out in force at least on the "Q" Again not a single GD NYPD in sight.

One panhandler was very aggressive. He stood in front of a hospital worker with his hand out and she said "no". Man didn't get the hint and put his hand further in her face and she responded more loudly "I told you no, I don't have anything...".

Far as N,Q,R and W haven't seen much change.. Still infested with homeless, panhandlers and people jumping turnstiles.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yep. About two weeks ago, I was walking down the stairs to get to the subway at the Main St, Flushing station when I saw people that were ahead of me take a pause, turn around and head back up. I was like, oh great, the subway must be down but just to make sure I walked down the stairs and that's when I saw 4-5 cops and 3 MTA transit workers in formation on the platform right in front of the turnstiles. lol. They were a sight. Which means all those people that turned around to head back up the steps were probably all set to jump the turnstile.

The cops and the mta workers have been there ever since.
Interesting. It makes sense though. It’s mainly the non payers that cause problems. Nip it in the bud. Don’t let them in and less issues inside the system.

For me that was the first time I had ever seen cops on a bus. And it was twice in one trip.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Took "Q" downtown yesterday evening and some tall young white guy just straddled over turnstile, his legs were just that long.... Not a MTA worker or NYPD in sight....

Oh and the GD candy sellers and panhandlers are out in force at least on the "Q" Again not a single GD NYPD in sight.

One panhandler was very aggressive. He stood in front of a hospital worker with his hand out and she said "no". Man didn't get the hint and put his hand further in her face and she responded more loudly "I told you no, I don't have anything...".

Far as N,Q,R and W haven't seen much change.. Still infested with homeless, panhandlers and people jumping turnstiles.
Lol. I’ve seen those hoppers before. Long ass legs. Can’t even tell they are hopping. Lol.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:34 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Lol. I’ve seen those hoppers before. Long ass legs. Can’t even tell they are hopping. Lol.
Couldn't really call it "hopping" as it looked as if kid just walked over turnstile.

He was so effing cool and nonchalant about it; was munching a bag of chips and didn't even miss a mouthful

Old 10-12-2021, 02:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:

^^ the video you have here is actually an incident two months ago, not sure if you knew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N50CU9na8P8&t=405s

mid July, 2021

Old 10-12-2021, 05:38 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
They're not cracking down on anything. The cops who boarded the MTA bus are MTA cops. They're notorious for taking 5 hour lunches and not doing anything.

The MTA rather charge $5 for a piece of plastic the size of a CC than enforce fares.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:26 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
There are two select bus boxes at the Parkchester bus stop, on the Q44. Last night, one of them was out of service. the other appeared to be in service, but blocked by a man who leaned over it; no transit ID or any ID giving him authority to block the box. I asked him whether that box was working, he remark, in a snotty tone, "You heard what I said, right?" I'll admit, I did have my headphones on, but still......!

I ended up using the debit card reader, on the bus (all buses have working card readers, now!). My only concern is that if I'm randomly checked by an officer (police do random checks!), do the police have card readers to confirm that I paid?

Old 10-12-2021, 07:27 AM

368 posts, read 391,651 times
Quote:
Interesting. It makes sense though. It’s mainly the non payers that cause problems. Nip it in the bud. Don’t let them in and less issues inside the system.
If you remember, back before 1995 the New York City Transit Authority (not the MTA) had its own police department. In 1990, Bill Bratton became chief of the Transit Police, and refocused the department on 3 things: robbery (which while rare, was the most serious subway crime), fare evasion, and public disorder. His theory was the same as yours: people who plan on committing more serious crimes in the subway don't pay their fares first. At the start of the program, it turned out that 1 out of 6 who were arrested for fare evasion had open warrants for other offenses, and a surprising number had weapons on them. As the word spread that cops were taking fare evasion seriously, fare evasion dropped -- and so did crime on the subway. What made this more remarkable was that while crime in the subway went down, crime in the rest of the city continued to go up. It was his success in the Transit Police that led to Bratton's appointment as Police Commissioner. Using similar strategies in the NYPD that focused on public disorder was followed by the enormous drop in crime in NYC in the late 1990 and early 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City