Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 06:15 AM

5,831 posts, read 2,950,800 times

Advertisements

Went to lic park yesterday to walk in the park by the river.
Why are there so many abandoned cars in such a rich area. Vans, cars, limo. You can see grass and trash around the cars so they are definitely left there. Even an suv with some fruit cart tied to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 06:47 AM

1,064 posts, read 546,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Went to lic park yesterday to walk in the park by the river.
Why are there so many abandoned cars in such a rich area. Vans, cars, limo. You can see grass and trash around the cars so they are definitely left there. Even an suv with some fruit cart tied to it.
I think I've read complaints about this issue, and if this is what I've read about, here's the explanation - these are cars that are NOT actually abandoned, but it's just as bad or worse. What those cars are doing there is holding a spot for food trucks that want prime waterfront park space to sell their food. So the old crappy looking limo (as long as a food truck hint hint) parks and then at a certain magic hour the limo leaves just as the food truck pulls in.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:54 AM

https://www.change.org/p/nyc-dot-com...FjJ_bKVBVSbEWM

"We, the undersigned, hereby ask The Department of Transportation to review the existing parking regulations on Center Boulevard between North Basin Road and 57th Avenue. Particular attention should be given to the segments where there are no restrictions.

Food Truck vendors have taken over several blocks of parking spaces around the clock on both sides of Center Blvd. The vendors park other cars overnight to hold spots for their food trucks, and then swap them to setup their businesses. Currently there are generally at least 10 food vendors parked along the western side of Center Boulevard, and several more on the eastern side. When the construction work in the park between 49th and 50th Avenues is completed, an additional block will be populated by Food Trucks, where they were situated before the construction commenced.

Since no parking restrictions exist, these vendors not only monopolize parking spaces for free, but, importantly, prevent anyone else, especially Hunters Point residents or visitors to the neighborhood, from being able to use any of the spots.

The harmful results include:

-- The Sanitation Department is unable to perform street cleaning along sections of Center Boulevard, especially where the Food Truck Vendors setup their businesses.

-- Litter and garbage generated by the food trucks and food carts accumulates under and near the trucks and the cars that hold their spaces overnight. The food vendors do not supply their own supply trash cans or make any effort to clean the area/cart away their refuse, leaving the park trash cans overflowing."

Old 11-10-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I think I've read complaints about this issue, and if this is what I've read about, here's the explanation - these are cars that are NOT actually abandoned, but it's just as bad or worse. What those cars are doing there is holding a spot for food trucks that want prime waterfront park space to sell their food. So the old crappy looking limo (as long as a food truck hint hint) parks and then at a certain magic hour the limo leaves just as the food truck pulls in.
Doesn’t look like any of those cars are leaving judging by the tires being half down, some registrations are expired.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Doesn’t look like any of those cars are leaving judging by the tires being half down, some registrations are expired.
The city will not tow without resident complaints. You have to specifically have a bunch of people lodge calls to 311 with specific locations, make and model and how long it's been there and eventually the NYPD tow trucks will show up

Old 11-10-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The city will not tow without resident complaints. You have to specifically have a bunch of people lodge calls to 311 with specific locations, make and model and how long it's been there and eventually the NYPD tow trucks will show up
I would assume the lic liberalies would have done it by now.
The abandoned cars reminded me how lic was 25 years ago.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:04 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Here's the link to report an Abandoned Vehicle - https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02130

Here's the link to report an Illegally Parked vehicle - https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01986

In reality the NYPD rarely responds to these requests anymore, but it's still worth reporting so at least there is a record of the complaints.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
https://www.change.org/p/nyc-dot-com...FjJ_bKVBVSbEWM

"We, the undersigned, hereby ask The Department of Transportation to review the existing parking regulations on Center Boulevard between North Basin Road and 57th Avenue. Particular attention should be given to the segments where there are no restrictions.

Food Truck vendors have taken over several blocks of parking spaces around the clock on both sides of Center Blvd. The vendors park other cars overnight to hold spots for their food trucks, and then swap them to setup their businesses. Currently there are generally at least 10 food vendors parked along the western side of Center Boulevard, and several more on the eastern side. When the construction work in the park between 49th and 50th Avenues is completed, an additional block will be populated by Food Trucks, where they were situated before the construction commenced.

Since no parking restrictions exist, these vendors not only monopolize parking spaces for free, but, importantly, prevent anyone else, especially Hunters Point residents or visitors to the neighborhood, from being able to use any of the spots.

The harmful results include:

-- The Sanitation Department is unable to perform street cleaning along sections of Center Boulevard, especially where the Food Truck Vendors setup their businesses.

-- Litter and garbage generated by the food trucks and food carts accumulates under and near the trucks and the cars that hold their spaces overnight. The food vendors do not supply their own supply trash cans or make any effort to clean the area/cart away their refuse, leaving the park trash cans overflowing."

I didn't think there were any streets in western Queens without Alternate Side Parking restrictions. Very surprising. Did NYCDOT Commissioner Gutman or anyone from the NYCDOT ever respond to this petition?

Old 11-10-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I didn't think there were any streets in western Queens without Alternate Side Parking restrictions. Very surprising. Did NYCDOT Commissioner Gutman or anyone from the NYCDOT ever respond to this petition?
I don't know, but I think there are a few streets in LIC without them, which is weird. I agree. This street is in Astoria, no restrictions. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7586...7i16384!8i8192

in many ways, it makes it harder to park because no one ever leaves

Old 11-10-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know, but I think there are a few streets in LIC without them, which is weird. I agree. This street is in Astoria, no restrictions. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7586...7i16384!8i8192

in many ways, it makes it harder to park because no one ever leaves

ASP was rolled out starting around 1953 in Manhattan. Then implemented through most but not all of the outer borough neighborhoods except on Staten Island, where there is still no ASP. I wonder how Astoria was skipped over? Probably a powerful Councilman at that time got the city to not institute ASP in his district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: