Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 12:17 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
He is probably saving 1K in housing costs per month, but he's paying in another way, by giving up having a clean, comfortable and safe place to reside. I understand that he doesn't want to pay a lot of money in rent, but it's rather strange that he's not even willing to pay $300 - $400 for a room. He'd rather sleep on the streets in a sleeping bag. It's sad that he doesn't believe he's worth having shelter, while working towards his goals.
Sharing a "room" situation isn't the glorious way of living some of you make it out to be. At worst it's no better than being in shelter situation, and at best a boarding house.

Either way privacy and security (both personal and for belongings) can be lacking.

Just as some would rather find some other way than dealing with roommates, others see sharing a "room" situation not much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 08:54 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,968 times
I personally couldn't live like this. I guess I've grown used to having a roof over my head that living on the streets would not be an option for me. It take a very unique individual to be able to live on the streets. Being out in the open is so dangerous. You have to deal with all the thugs, mentally ill and all other degenerates. Someone will rob you for your shoes and if you don't comply you could end up dead. Hopefully this man's efforts come to fruition and he reaches the promise land.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:52 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Where can I rent a room for $300-400? Nowhere.

This guy needs to be deported to his birth country.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:02 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Couldn't watch the vid, what's this guys hygiene like?

Old 11-18-2021, 11:04 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Belongs to a gym. Showers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Couldn't watch the vid, what's this guys hygiene like?

Old 11-18-2021, 01:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,731,547 times
He's working like a dog for his goals, so...

Obviously, as a woman I could never do this, but I also wouldn't. Certainly not for that long. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid a price in health down the line.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:06 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Belongs to a gym. Showers there.

Interesting, thank you.

The OP said he sleeps in cemeteries. Not a bad idea, and the rooftops are probably safer than the streets.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Armando Esposito, a Mexican Resident in NYC saves $1,500 a month by sleeping on the streets. Based on the below video, he has a job, pays taxes and even finds time to watch Netflix and drink plenty of red wine. "After four years of this unique lifestyle — hopping among rooftops, cemeteries and more — Esposito has been able to build two apartments and five lofts in Xalapa, Mexico."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRTWr73lHc

Would you be willing to live on the streets of NYC to save money to accomplish your financial goals? I would not. My home is my sanctuary and by extension, priceless.
No way! My sanity means more to me than saving money. A stable place to call home means more to me even if it's a super tiny studio apt.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Armando Esposito, a Mexican Resident in NYC saves $1,500 a month by sleeping on the streets. Based on the below video, he has a job, pays taxes and even finds time to watch Netflix and drink plenty of red wine. "After four years of this unique lifestyle — hopping among rooftops, cemeteries and more — Esposito has been able to build two apartments and five lofts in Xalapa, Mexico."

Would you be willing to live on the streets of NYC to save money to accomplish your financial goals? I would not. My home is my sanctuary and by extension, priceless.
Clearly, his goals are different from most of us. Still, he could probably find a cheap room for a fraction of that $1500.

On the other hand, it's a good example of what some people are willing to do, even if not pampered Americans.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:11 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
He looks too clean and sane to be living so rough for such an extended period. Chances are he supplements his housing by being a hobo-sexual. Some lonely lady is happy to make him camp out a few night in her apartments for some exotic eggplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City