Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 09:55 AM

147 posts, read 60,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
If I was friends no way would I let him stay with me. He chooses to be homeless. I choose to pay rent.
The man in the video mentioned that he had a place, until his relationship ended and he had to pay 100% of the bills. There are a number of people in NYC, who are only able to afford housing because of their 50/50 situation with their partner or room-mate(s).

I wouldn't allow anyone to stay with me, unless they were willing to pay a certain percentage of my mortgage and even then, it would only be for a week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 03:41 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Some of you people crack me up!

This guy, illegal alien or whatever but "homeless" has seen more of the world and perhaps done more with his life than people moaning about his accommodation situation. That he's featured in a film tells how interesting many (or someone at least) found his life journey.

You want to end mess like this? Bring back SRO hotels, large part of problem solved.

Back in day SRO, flophouses, boarding houses, etc... were where people who couldn't afford to rent an entire apartment (and there were many, not all busted either) found shelter.

Banning new construction or otherwise getting rid of those places didn't do a GD thing to lessen demand. You now just have private individuals running game illegally renting out homes or apartments carved up into de facto boarding homes.

Liberal, left democrats aren't saints in this either. Their insistence on housing being a GD right, but only if it is a private apartment complete with an iron clad lease piles on more problems.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,317 times
I don't even like camping for a weekend, much less choosing to sleep outside night after night on purpose.

Not for me. If he can handle it as a choice he's making on purpose? More power to him.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:52 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
The man in the video mentioned that he had a place, until his relationship ended and he had to pay 100% of the bills. There are a number of people in NYC, who are only able to afford housing because of their 50/50 situation with their partner or room-mate(s).

I wouldn't allow anyone to stay with me, unless they were willing to pay a certain percentage of my mortgage and even then, it would only be for a week or two.

I knew he was some form of hobo-sexual!!! My New York radar never lies.

But the being homeless for a goal is good bait for the next chick who wants to do the whole 'Started from the bottom' love story lol.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:55 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some of you people crack me up!

This guy, illegal alien or whatever but "homeless" has seen more of the world and perhaps done more with his life than people moaning about his accommodation situation. That he's featured in a film tells how interesting many (or someone at least) found his life journey.

You want to end mess like this? Bring back SRO hotels, large part of problem solved.

Back in day SRO, flophouses, boarding houses, etc... were where people who couldn't afford to rent an entire apartment (and there were many, not all busted either) found shelter.

Banning new construction or otherwise getting rid of those places didn't do a GD thing to lessen demand. You now just have private individuals running game illegally renting out homes or apartments carved up into de facto boarding homes.

Liberal, left democrats aren't saints in this either. Their insistence on housing being a GD right, but only if it is a private apartment complete with an iron clad lease piles on more problems.

There are still SROs. I see them being advertised in harlem

Something tells me he is not interested in renting an apartment. There are many rooms for rent in NYC. If he could afford to split rent as a Hobo-sexual he can afford to pay for a room.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:59 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
He looks too clean and sane to be living so rough for such an extended period. Chances are he supplements his housing by being a hobo-sexual. Some lonely lady is happy to make him camp out a few night in her apartments for some exotic eggplant.

True, he may have a girlfriend or friend with benefits. I'll be surprised if he doesn't cheat every now and then by renting a room, no way he sleeps outside all of the time. There are some bad storms that I doubt he sleeps outside during them. There are also hurricanes. I know he didn't sleep outside during Sandy. NYC was under water

I like a roof over my head, AC or heat and somewhere dry.

He said he has a gym membership where he swims and showers, that's why he's so clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

Thanks for posting this video. He said he's been in the US for 11 years. 4 minutes in he mentions meeting a woman while working in Paris, sounds like they married, the relationship didn't survive the move, they split up. He couldn't handle expenses on his own, rent monthly bills, car lease couldn't. Lived in his car for a while, got rid of it May 2016, got fired, he says living in the car, going through the divorce, he decided to live in parks which he claims isn't difficult because he's a hiker. Had done so in Switzerland, Peru, Mexico, he has the knowledge and equipment to do so.

In this 2019 video, he's working in a bar 11 pm to 7 am and looking for a job to be a project manager or interior designer which he says he has experience for.

He went to Barcelona, China, then London for 1 1/2 years before doing this, he saw the different ways people lived which was enlightening. He has to finish paying loans he has from buying the lots. He then plans to live in Africa for a year or so doing this there and seeing how people live there. He has 7 properties that he claims he doesn't owe much on. It sounds like a lot of BS to me. He's living in the street now because he can't afford to have a roof over his head because of his dream to retire in Mexico owning properties he will rent out. I guess it's either pay for a roof over his head now, or pay for one for when he retires, he's not making the money to afford both.

He says that for everything we want, there is a price. You just have to pick which price you're willing to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
He is probably saving 1K in housing costs per month, but he's paying in another way, by giving up having a clean, comfortable and safe place to reside. I understand that he doesn't want to pay a lot of money in rent, but it's rather strange that he's not even willing to pay $300 - $400 for a room. He'd rather sleep on the streets in a sleeping bag. It's sad that he doesn't believe he's worth having shelter, while working towards his goals.

According to him, he's saving at least $1,500 per month if not more. It's NYC, there is no inexpensive living there. Even to rent a room he'd probably have to pay $1,500 a month there.

At least he's realistic on what he faces while choosing to be homeless. He's doing it for his bigger picture to live like a king in Mexico. I don't understand what he's doing with all of those properties he claims to have built already.

I don't see how he pays taxes like he claims unless he has a work visa. If he is totally illegal, the only taxes he pays are on things he buys.

He should either legally live here or go live like a king in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Armando Esposito, a Mexican Resident in NYC saves $1,500 a month by sleeping on the streets. Based on the below video, he has a job, pays taxes and even finds time to watch Netflix and drink plenty of red wine. "After four years of this unique lifestyle — hopping among rooftops, cemeteries and more — Esposito has been able to build two apartments and five lofts in Xalapa, Mexico."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRTWr73lHc

Would you be willing to live on the streets of NYC to save money to accomplish your financial goals? I would not. My home is my sanctuary and by extension, priceless.

No, I wouldn't live like that. I don't even like to go camping. I enjoy having a roof over my head, AC, heat. Having a cold or hot drink when I want one, food when I'm hungry. He may not be paying rent but I bet his food bills are pretty high cause he has to eat out for as many meals as he eats a day.

I wonder where he stores all of his clothes and cold weather gear. He probably has some sort of storage somewhere, even if it's a small one.

I decided to look Xalapa, Mexico up. Soounds like the Mexican version of NYC so he must feel at home.

Xalapa, Mexico is situated in eastern-central Mexico, approximately 55 miles (89 km) northwest of Veracruz city. and roughly 350 kilometres from Mexico City. Xalapa is the capital city of the Mexican state of Veracruz. It's ringed by volcanoes and cloud forest.

Quote:
Familiar to the world primarily due to the super-hot green chili that was named after it, Xalapa (also spelled Jalapa, but always pronounced ha-la-pa) is actually about as different to the fiery jalapeño pepper as can be – unlike sweaty coastal Veracruz city, Xalapa's highland location makes it temperate and often quite cloudy. Thanks to its alternative vibe and large student population, the city is lively at night and has a thriving cultural scene (it has its own branch of the Hay Festival of Literature & the Arts, for example).

Traffic-choked Xalapa has an alluring center, full of well-kept parks, bustling pedestrian streets and colonial architecture. The superb anthropological museum is the main draw for visitors here, but the gargantuan pre-Hispanic relics are supplemented by hip bars, weighty bookstores and a superb array of quality coffee joints, making this one of Mexico's most enjoyable state capitals.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I'd give the guy a bed on the coldest nights.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:32 AM

16,050 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
I think this is the new American reality for many immigrants, who lack a financial and/or solid educational foundation, prior to coming to the U.S.
Well done.

When you are given lemons make lemonade.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,187 times
The most people I see in money transfer stores are Dominicans and Mexicans I doubt he keeps most of his money on him!

Old 11-29-2021, 07:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Armando Esposito, a Mexican Resident in NYC saves $1,500 a month by sleeping on the streets. Based on the below video, he has a job, pays taxes and even finds time to watch Netflix and drink plenty of red wine. "After four years of this unique lifestyle — hopping among rooftops, cemeteries and more — Esposito has been able to build two apartments and five lofts in Xalapa, Mexico."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRTWr73lHc

Would you be willing to live on the streets of NYC to save money to accomplish your financial goals? I would not. My home is my sanctuary and by extension, priceless.
Don't hate the player hate the game.

respect the hustle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City