Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 06:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I live in Lindenwood and have for 30 years.

1) Y'all are soft when it comes to planes. Try actually living here. My neighbors have been my neighbors for decades at tihs point, none of us have been run out of dodge because of planes.

2) During Sandy it was mostly basements that were flooded in Lindenwood.

3) Agreed on being a transportation desert and it has always been the worst part of living here.

4) Agreed, there's nothing to do here. One strip mall does not a neighborhood make.

As for bordering East New York, it has literally never been a problem. I lived on 79th St. for many years. I can walk 5 blocks now and be in East New York. There may as well be an electrified fence between the two neighborhoods or a wall a la East/West Berlin back in the day, for all that the neighborhoods even interact with each other.

I lived under JFK flight path. Constantly stopping conversationa or muting TV or not being able to enjoy outdoor (especially between april and sep when the flights are more frequent!) Is annoying as hell. I am not paying $1 million or more for such aggravation.

There are lengthy city data threads regarding how annoying those planea are.

My friend was living in a first floor apartment and ALL his stuff was ruined during sandy. We spent days cleaning up. He left NYC shortly. Also there are multiple reporta of constant flooding well after Sandy in Howard beach. I would spend over $1 million to knowingly have flooding problems.

You are correct EAST NY criminals do not dare venture into Howard Beach. Howard Beach people dont give a **** about being clled racisit. They wont tolerate that ****.
They do have their own neighborhood addicts though. But that is constant in many neighborhoods throughout the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 09:35 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I lived under JFK flight path. Constantly stopping conversationa or muting TV or not being able to enjoy outdoor (especially between april and sep when the flights are more frequent!) Is annoying as hell. I am not paying $1 million or more for such aggravation.

There are lengthy city data threads regarding how annoying those planea are.

My friend was living in a first floor apartment and ALL his stuff was ruined during sandy. We spent days cleaning up. He left NYC shortly. Also there are multiple reporta of constant flooding well after Sandy in Howard beach. I would spend over $1 million to knowingly have flooding problems.

You are correct EAST NY criminals do not dare venture into Howard Beach. Howard Beach people dont give a **** about being clled racisit. They wont tolerate that ****.
They do have their own neighborhood addicts though. But that is constant in many neighborhoods throughout the city.
Channel Lewis didn’t get this memo.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:00 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
I am familiar with both neighborhoods and the demographics. Howard beach is not even in the same class of neighborhoods as FHG. Not even close!

P.S The mafia and mafia affiliated are still alive and well in Howard Beach.

and there you have it folks....................Howard Beach's version of the Guardian Angels!

Old 12-18-2021, 03:11 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
If OP is interested in the aesthetics and character of FHG they will not like 'modern'. FHG's charm is the cohesive look of it's beautiful houses that more look suited to a British European village than a modern house in a 'good' neighborhood that could be any neighborhood. If the OP has a $2 million budget, an extra $150 to modernize the bathrooms and kitchen should not be unaffordable. I owned a Tudor house similar to the ones in FHG. I updated all the bathrooms and the kitchen. Stained the hardwood floors, changed the windows and the doors. It looked like a modern house with character. Everyone loved it.

MALBA, Queens would be a more comparable neighborhood in terms of aesthetics. I am not sure how the transportation is from Malba. Also being so close to the water, I would worry about flood, similar to Howard Beach.

Even so Malba, is not as convenient for transportation and amenities. It is also a hodge podge of 'regular' houses and mac mansions and monstrosities and everything in between. But it does have a beautiful calm suburb feel while being in Queens

Malba homes from 11th ave/138th Pl to the water are stunning. You have
partial isolation from the Whitestone Expressway and the East River
and no Bus service until you get down to around 14th avenue.
Not particularly fond of looking at a bridge but to each his own.

Access to pretty much everything.............A good yet expensive investment.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:20 AM

44 posts, read 48,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I know that there are specific threads regarding Forest Hills, however, this refers directly to the Gardens section. I am absolutely a fan of this planned community. The beautiful Tudor-styled houses, the private security, connectivity to Midtown, etc. makes this community an excellent value for the money.

I was hoping to get some insights from residents or people who know residents. I have a few questions:

1. What type of residents live in the houses (both detached and townhouses)? I know that there are rental/Coop buildings scattered in FHG -- I assume the residents there are much more transient.
2. What are the drawbacks/lesser-known issues of FHG? I am looking for a real opinion rather than real estate marketing gloss.
3. Due to its Central Queens location, the proximity to the 'hood' is always there. I know all about the 112th Precinct Crime stats, however, are the properties in the Gardens are major targets for property crime?

I appreciate any additional comments that might be relevant.
I'm a native New Yorker, born and raised in Queens. I currently live in FH (not FHG) with my family and have a child in elementary and middle school. The commute to my office in midtown via subway is 35 minutes door to door when I'm not working from home.

1. I don't consider the coops transient, the ones who aren't there for life are there for the schools or til they can save to upgrade (5-10 years?), but depending on your definition I guess that can be considered transient. The residents are a diverse mix of legacy home owners, professionals (dr, lawyers, it, wall st, etc), diamond district jewelers and others.
2. External renovation rules are strict, you have to stay in-line with the rest of the neighborhood, you can't knock a house down and go from a Tudor to something modern like they do north of Queens Blvd. This can be good or bad depending on your point of view.
3. FH/FHG crime is low compared to the rest of Queens, the street crime it sees is often because FH (not FHG) is a destination spot to hang out from other areas due to restaurants, shops, movie theatre and the occasional concert at FH Stadium. Other crime risks in FH (not FHG) are near the subway and mentally ill homeless people. Property crime is more common in the houses south of FHG because they're isolated and lack the private security of FHG or north of Queens Blvd. Check out any crime map like https://crimegrade.org/safest-places...rest-hills-ny/ to see that FHG is an oasis or eye of the storm in terms of crime. Northern FH is more a victim of its hood-proximity than FHG is. But if you're that worried, get an upgraded security system that includes cameras.

Best of Luck.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:47 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baglunch View Post
I'm a native New Yorker, born and raised in Queens. I currently live in FH (not FHG) with my family and have a child in elementary and middle school. The commute to my office in midtown via subway is 35 minutes door to door when I'm not working from home.
I assume you are near the 71st Avenue express station for the shorter commute time. One needs to add 10 minutes for either 67th Avenue/75th Avenue stations (which are both in FH) for local trains. But those living in FHG have the LIRR as well as subway as option.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:25 AM

44 posts, read 48,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume you are near the 71st Avenue express station for the shorter commute time. One needs to add 10 minutes for either 67th Avenue/75th Avenue stations (which are both in FH) for local trains. But those living in FHG have the LIRR as well as subway as option.
Yes, I am close to 71st ave station. You are correct, add 5-10 minutes for 75th station, but I think on a bad day you might have to add more time for 67th ave as it adds 4 stops to get to Roosevelt to transfer to an express unless you take the local 1 stop to 71st ave, then express to midtown from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City