Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 12:19 PM

224 posts, read 454,562 times

Advertisements

I'm renting an apartment inside an upper west side brownstone and I noticed some of the plaster came off my wall, exposing a dusty gray substance. I'm concerned it is asbestos but don't know if asbestos exists in brownstones. I asked my landlord who didn't know. Has anyone experienced this or can recommend a good asbestos test kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 01:21 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Call for a DoB inspection?

Old 12-11-2021, 04:25 PM

224 posts, read 454,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Call for a DoB inspection?
Sorry what is a DoB inspection?

Old 12-11-2021, 07:11 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Call 311 tell them you think your building has a code violation, and you want the Department of Buildings to send an inspector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luau View Post
Sorry what is a DoB inspection?

Old 12-12-2021, 01:50 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Yes it’s best to call for an inspection. Asbestos is more dangerous than what people think. You don’t want to live with that. If you call your landlord they may want to hide the problem to avoid fines and costly repairs.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:14 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
You may want to ask your question in the brownstoner forum: https://www.brownstoner.com/forum/

I don't know if there's asbestos in plaster, but even is there is, I'm quite sure the recommended course of action would be to fix the damage/cover it rather than remove and replace the plaster in your walls (which of course is an enormous job).

There are asbestos tiles in a relatives basement and the advice was to paint over them or cover with a rug rather than disturbing them, because that only creates a bigger problem.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:18 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
I think the danger of asbestos is real.
It kills 12-15,000 people every year.

Aspirin over dose kills 3,000 people every year.
Tobacco kills 480,000 every year.
Second hand smoke kills 41,000 every year.

I have seen professionals soak this stuff down with
water before covering it , painting it or sealing it.

My occupational exposure to asbestos is close to 40 years.
It didn't kill me because I did not ingest it,smoke it or inhale it.
I simply did not disturb it.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:29 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Asbestos is in pretty much every building built between the early 1920s and the 1970s. It is made from a mined mineral. It is only a problem if it is disturbed and allowed to fly around in the air, where it breaks down into ever smaller fibers (friable is the word for this) and if you inhale them, they can lodge in your lung and eventually cause a tumour so rock hard it will break a surgical saw.

I had to take a class on this when doing asbestos-removal contract administration in the 80s and 90s.

Usually in buildings, it is not in the plaster but in tiles and used for insulation, especially around pipes.

My grandfather was a plumber from the 1930s to the 1960s. He died in 1972 from an inoperable lung tumor. When I took that class, I realized that's probably what killed him.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:26 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Asbestos is in pretty much every building built between the early 1920s and the 1970s. It is made from a mined mineral. It is only a problem if it is disturbed and allowed to fly around in the air, where it breaks down into ever smaller fibers (friable is the word for this) and if you inhale them, they can lodge in your lung and eventually cause a tumour so rock hard it will break a surgical saw.

I had to take a class on this when doing asbestos-removal contract administration in the 80s and 90s.

Usually in buildings, it is not in the plaster but in tiles and used for insulation, especially around pipes.

My grandfather was a plumber from the 1930s to the 1960s. He died in 1972 from an inoperable lung tumor. When I took that class, I realized that's probably what killed him.

So much demo going on around the city, you have to wonder what's floating around in the air at any given time. Another reason to mask up even when you're outside. I remember being told the air was safe at the World Trade Center site after 9/11...

I'm skeptical though that the city is going to check the composition of someone's plaster. If they do, it would probably be DEP rather than DOB, unless the landlord is refusing to fix the damage.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:44 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
So much demo going on around the city, you have to wonder what's floating around in the air at any given time. Another reason to mask up even when you're outside. I remember being told the air was safe at the World Trade Center site after 9/11...

I'm skeptical though that the city is going to check the composition of someone's plaster. If they do, it would probably be DEP rather than DOB, unless the landlord is refusing to fix the damage.
That was my former Governor and then-head of the EPA, Christie Whitman.

All you had to do was sniff to know it wasn't true, even if you were across the river. Most of the unions and contractors working in the WTC area had air-monitoring equipment and knew it wasn't true, either.

Nit-Whit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City