Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 02:17 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ah, makes sense. There is a Coney Island ferry route coming (no stop in Staten Island) though, so there will be that ferry station built.

Have you seen this? https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-sch...ute/st-george/

I think maybe an extension of this to Bay Ridge and Coney Island might be pretty reasonable.
I don't think people from Bay Ridge would use this, since they already have a route to downtown Manhattan (I know 3 of my coworkers that use it for their daily commute actually). Its the connection to Staten Island itself that is valuable, and of course connecting Coney Island to Bay Ridge/SI is also probably worth it, since the reverse route down to Coney Island is closer in a lot of instances than looping up through Manhattan (or even a loop through Atlantic ave) and faster than the bus to Bay Ridge (which is like a solid 40+ minute ride in itself, since its not exactly a good route for a lot of people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 03:20 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I don't think people from Bay Ridge would use this, since they already have a route to downtown Manhattan (I know 3 of my coworkers that use it for their daily commute actually). Its the connection to Staten Island itself that is valuable, and of course connecting Coney Island to Bay Ridge/SI is also probably worth it, since the reverse route down to Coney Island is closer in a lot of instances than looping up through Manhattan (or even a loop through Atlantic ave) and faster than the bus to Bay Ridge (which is like a solid 40+ minute ride in itself, since its not exactly a good route for a lot of people).

Oh, it's not the downtown Manhattan part of that route that I think would entice Bay Ridge riders as they're already getting a direct ferry service to Pier 11 (though the Vesey St stop is over a mile away from Pier 11, so that may help some people), but the part going to the west side of Manhattan near Hudson Yards. The connection to Staten Island is still there, but transit often greatly improves with more stops at the ends as a kind of combinatorics bonus. I reckon that's probably better overall than a more limited route of SI-Bay Ridge-Coney Island

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-16-2021 at 03:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 03:36 PM

59 posts, read 29,637 times
This wouldn’t have been necessary had the R train been connected to Richmond county smh

Old 12-16-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemicjoe_ View Post
This wouldn’t have been necessary had the R train been connected to Richmond county smh

rail going through New Jersey to get to Manhattan would also be pretty reasonable

Old 12-16-2021, 06:02 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
All public transit is subsidized, even the subway.
Again no one is arguing this.
Point being it's a waste of money to have just a group of people from south Brooklyn take the boat to Staten Island.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:55 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Again no one is arguing this.
Point being it's a waste of money to have just a group of people from south Brooklyn take the boat to Staten Island.
Then I guess it's a waste of money to have just a group of people from South Brooklyn take the boat to Manhattan or elsewhere.

Old 12-17-2021, 04:58 AM

5,692 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Then I guess it's a waste of money to have just a group of people from South Brooklyn take the boat to Manhattan or elsewhere.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemicjoe_ View Post
That is a huge undertaking - you are talking about building an extensive tunnel far longer in length that that of the areas between the Hudson and East rivers. And of course, the consequences of failure would be catastrophic if there was a flood - then the entire Atlantic Ocean would end up inside.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
That is a huge undertaking - you are talking about building an extensive tunnel far longer in length that that of the areas between the Hudson and East rivers. And of course, the consequences of failure would be catastrophic if there was a flood - then the entire Atlantic Ocean would end up inside.

The Verrazzano could have ostensibly been built to accommodate rail, but it was not, ostensibly vetoed by Robert Moses along with rail for most of the major bridges built under his oversight, and it's possible that's what the poster was referring to.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:48 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Verrazzano could have ostensibly been built to accommodate rail, but it was not, ostensibly vetoed by Robert Moses along with rail for most of the major bridges built under his oversight, and it's possible that's what the poster was referring to.
The Verrazzano bridge is notorious for swinging in the wind. Can you imagine a 100 ton train moving over it as it does so? The very idea makes me queasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City