Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 04:43 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,774,977 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a good idea? Will people use this?

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/southe...nd-fast-ferry/

Southern Brooklynites and Staten Islanders have at least one thing in common — they both want a fast ferry!

“Staten Island’s fast ferry service is a crucial step in reducing our reliance on cars and supporting a 21st Century Transportation future,” said Rose Uscianowski, Transportation Alternatives’ Staten Island and southern Brooklyn organizer. “Now it’s time to honor Staten Island’s historic relationship with South Brooklyn by expanding South Ferry service between Staten Island and South Brooklyn.”

The non-profit organization Transportation Alternatives spearheaded a renewed call for fast ferry service at a press conference last week, where they were joined by local activist groups, state Sen. Andrew Gounardes, and even some Staten Islanders who made the trip to Bay Ridge to show their support.

Proponents of the idea say linking the two outer boroughs would ease congestion on the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, and lessen the burden on residents who either have to take a trip into Manhattan for public transit, or dish out $20 in tolls when traveling both ways on the bridge.

“We need to organize our city so that public transit is first and foremost, right now we don’t see that as being the case especially between the outer boroughs, between Staten Island and Brooklyn,” said Daniel Loud, president of the Bay Ridge Environmental Group, “so this ferry would be a huge step in improving that.”

Wood launched a petition that has garnered nearly 4,000 signatures in support of a Staten Island-Brooklyn Ferry with many Staten Island signers arguing their need for more transportation options than just one highway to get into Brooklyn and the increased job opportunities they would have access to.

“It would increase job opportunities and social and cultural visiting between the two boroughs. Not to mention less need for a car all the time, a greener alternative,” one petitioner wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 06:34 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
No. I don't think they'd even break even with it.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:17 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No. I don't think they'd even break even with it.
Your bias is showing. None of the new ferries "break even" (they are heavily subsidized), even that one that goes to the Bronx in your borough, but not every neighborhood has a subway.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:55 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Your bias is showing. None of the new ferries "break even" (they are heavily subsidized), even that one that goes to the Bronx in your borough, but not every neighborhood has a subway.
No it's not. I know none of those ferries break even. So imagine this ferry, doesn't even stand a chance.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:07 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No it's not. I know none of those ferries break even. So imagine this ferry, doesn't even stand a chance.
All public transit is subsidized, even the subway.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:42 PM

37,180 posts, read 39,463,148 times
I think one thing to look at is the NYC ferry and where the built stops are and where the coming routes are. There are coming routes to St. George and across the waters we have ferry stops in the Rockaways, Bay Ridge, and Sunset Park. With that, what's the most reasonable extension of that ferry system? I was thinking take the coming new St. George ferry and ping pong to Bay Ridge (ferry stop for the South Brooklyn line) and then a new ferry terminal near thhe Clifton SIR stop where it's close enough to the shore for a transfer and also have that as a new one-stop extension of the South Brooklyn line from the Bay Ridge terminus. Go nuts and extent one of the Pier 11 terminating lines to end up in this new Clifton stop as well.

Something I'm interested in are the restriction and scheduling of boats along the East River and the greater New York Bay. How much of an issue would it be for the NYC ferry system's St. George ferries to cross the existing Staten Island Ferry's path to service the Bay Ridge ferry stop?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-15-2021 at 10:04 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 12:11 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,716,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think one thing to look at is the NYC ferry and where the built stops are and where the coming routes are. There are coming routes to St. George and across the waters we have ferry stops in the Rockaways, Bay Ridge, and Sunset Park. With that, what's the most reasonable extension of that ferry system? I was thinking take the coming new St. George ferry and ping pong to Bay Ridge (ferry stop for the South Brooklyn line) and then a new ferry terminal near thhe Clifton SIR stop where it's close enough to the shore for a transfer and also have that as a new one-stop extension of the South Brooklyn line from the Bay Ridge terminus. Go nuts and extent one of the Pier 11 terminating lines to end up in this new Clifton stop as well.

Something I'm interested in are the restriction and scheduling of boats along the East River and the greater New York Bay. How much of an issue would it be for the NYC ferry system's St. George ferries to cross the existing Staten Island Ferry's path to service the Bay Ridge ferry stop?
They should have St. George <-> Bay Ridge <-> Coney Island route, with a ferry stop that drops you off next to the Coney Island subway station. That way all legs of the service would actually be used individually, as that would also be the fastest CI - Bay Ridge commute, since there is no cross Brooklyn subway. Right now the only other way is to go through Manhattan, which is completely not ideal, especially considering the South Brooklyn/Staten Island overlap in populations.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They should have St. George <-> Bay Ridge <-> Coney Island route, with a ferry stop that drops you off next to the Coney Island subway station. That way all legs of the service would actually be used individually, as that would also be the fastest CI - Bay Ridge commute, since there is no cross Brooklyn subway. Right now the only other way is to go through Manhattan, which is completely not ideal, especially considering the South Brooklyn/Staten Island overlap in populations.

That route seems sensible to me, though I don't see how a Coney Island ferry stop can get any closer than about a half mile to the subway stop. For the most part, it seems like connecting the ferry stops to NYC subway stations with a short, easy transfer is generally going to be pretty rare. I think the ones somewhat close to the waterfront with a less than five minute walk would be St. George and maybe Clifton and out down in Tottenville for SIR, the stops out on the Rockaways which does have the ferry stop, Roosevelt Island's F train stop which also has an existing ferry stop, and Whitehall R / South Ferry 1. I don't think there's much else aside from those.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:59 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,716,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That route seems sensible to me, though I don't see how a Coney Island ferry stop can get any closer than about a half mile to the subway stop. For the most part, it seems like connecting the ferry stops to NYC subway stations with a short, easy transfer is generally going to be pretty rare. I think the ones somewhat close to the waterfront with a less than five minute walk would be St. George and maybe Clifton and out down in Tottenville for SIR, the stops out on the Rockaways which does have the ferry stop, Roosevelt Island's F train stop which also has an existing ferry stop, and Whitehall R / South Ferry 1. I don't think there's much else aside from those.
Yeah the ferry would stop roughly within a 10min walk of the station, but I think it is still a closer route for a lot of south Brooklyn neighborhoods, since you'd be able to take Q/F/N trains down to CI and walk to the ferry. The Bay Ridge stop can't be used that easily from Midwood/Sheapshead Bay/Gravesend/Homecrest and frankly even Bensonhurst, since its not convenient to get to from the eastern side neighborhoods. Not to mention CI itself is a fairly busy stop. All of this also beats the current route, which is a loop into Manhattan.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Yeah the ferry would stop roughly within a 10min walk of the station, but I think it is still a closer route for a lot of south Brooklyn neighborhoods, since you'd be able to take Q/F/N trains down to CI and walk to the ferry. The Bay Ridge stop can't be used that easily from Midwood/Sheapshead Bay/Gravesend/Homecrest and frankly even Bensonhurst, since its not convenient to get to from the eastern side neighborhoods. Not to mention CI itself is a fairly busy stop. All of this also beats the current route, which is a loop into Manhattan.

Ah, makes sense. There is a Coney Island ferry route coming (no stop in Staten Island) though, so there will be that ferry station built.

Have you seen this? https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-sch...ute/st-george/

I think maybe an extension of this to Bay Ridge and Coney Island might be pretty reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City